On Thursday 08 March 2007 21:16, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:27:00PM +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
> > I have recently finished my MSc studies and wanted to find a linux
> > related job. Not necessarily kernel hacking/device drivers though this is
> > what most attracts. I can say without a doubt that it is difficult to
> > convince potential employers of your capabilities without a proven
> > working experience. It is the old chicken and the egg problem. I would
> > have thought that 3 separate degrees and my 2 years experience with
> > PostgreSQL internals would have some leverage, however, i came to believe
> > that this is a myth. Usually it goes like this, i get 2-3 professional
> > interviews and then get a negative answer. I get the feeling these big
> > companies i go to, just fill their interview quotas and in the end takes
> > people with the most working experience. Especially in the north, where
> > there are something like 30 people contending per job.
> > Can someone throw some tips as to how i should proceed?
>
> After years of seeing very few jobs that were Linux related, I've seen
> three this week. The one that was not posted here was for Kayote in
> Jerusalem.
>
> IMHO you have a problem a friend of mine had in 1970. He had a degree from
> Tel Aviv Univeristy and worked his way up to a high position in the
> data processing department of the police.
>
> He resigned his position and went to the Univeristy of Pennsylvania,
> which at the time was the TOP school for computr sicence to get a Master's
> degree. When he was done, he came back here.
>
> No one would hire him. He was far too qualified and wanted far too much
> money to start at the bottom, and as he put it "no one would move over
> for me". He went back to the U.S. where there were plenty of new openings
> everyday and AFAIK is still there.
>
> The way I see it is you have several options:

I can't, i am academically exhausted :), if there is such a thing. Perhaps in
10 years from now.

> 2. Keep looking around for a startup that needs someone and has no one
>    to promote.

If you know of a one tell me. I was involved in several startups in the past.
I am not averse but then again, not highly inclined to go that path with only
options :)

> 3. Convince someone that you really are willing to work at the bottom
>    and work your way up.

Again, if you know someone, please tell :)

> 4. Hope for a boom, where people will be calling you asking to work for
>    them.

I think that instead of a boom, in the last few days there were corrections
downwards so the boom in this context means, some small bubble just burst in
wall street. I don't think we will ever going to see a climbing like before
2000. I think this is as good as it gets.

> 5. Go get an MBA and start your own startup.

To be honest, i tried something a few months ago but as you say, i needed an
MBA to understand what not to do/start. Not a total waste though, at least i
learned to Python pretty well.

> 6. Go where the jobs are. How is your Chinese? :-)

Like my Japanese. :)

--
Regards,
        Tzahi.