On Friday 09 March 2007 01:43, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Personaly I would not waste any time on a FOSS project. Most managers
> won't care, it has no relevance to their world, and many startup managers
> will take it that you are more interested in the work than the money
> and if they do hire you, will take advantage of you (to be polite).

I call double bullsh*t.

Talented developers look to hire developers that have a passion. This is what
separates a dot-net-john-bryce-graduate "programmer" from a real programmer.
It's not the degree, it's the passion.

The fact you worked in your spare time on a project (regardless of whether
they know what FOSS means) gives you credit in places where developer passion
is appreciated - and this is probably where you want to work.

Also from a practical level, going out of university means you have zero
experience (no, university projects rarely count as experience), so working
on a project with other developers, a team leader, a schedule, users - all
that is important not only for your own personal development but also to show
a potential employer what you can do. Not to mention they can download the
source code and see first hand how good you really are.
Some FOSS projects are even prestigious - the google SOC is well regarded, and
working on a high-profile project might impress your potential employer.

Geoffrey, you seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder - go to a therapist
and work it out. Maybe your world consists of nothing but abusive managers
and cheating partners who only want to screw you,  but fortunately for the
rest of us the world is different.

> Geoff.

- Aviram