On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 08:48:56AM -0500, Aviram Jenik wrote:

I call double bullsh*t.

You called it all right

Talented developers look to hire developers that have a passion. This is what
separates a dot-net-john-bryce-graduate "programmer" from a real programmer.
It's not the degree, it's the passion.

You would be surprised how few talented developers there really are in
the world and especialy here. The problem with finding them is there
is a small window when they are hiring. In a start-up the team is put
together by word of mouth, long before the company is actually formed.

In a medium size company, the "suits" have taken over and they are
not concerned with the passion to do good work, change the world, etc.
They are concerned with how many hours you will put in to make them
look good.

It's not just me as you think, it's a well documented fact.

Another agreement with you both, although I'm in the USA, and I don't know how
different that is.

Except for my very first two jobs, every interview I've had showed remarkable
interest in my non-work related projects, and in fact hired me on the basis of
skills I had acquired on those other projects. In fact, since college, allmost
all of my new skills have been acquired on non-work related projects.

My suggestion is to put your FOSS projects on your resume just as prominenly
as your "real" jobs. Talk about the skills you learned and what your
responsibilities were, just like with a regular job. And if it comes up in an
interview, don't think of FOSS projects as less important than "real" jobs.

Another thing: Presumably you are involved in FOSS because you feel passionate
about it. Let that passion show. People with enthusiasm, motivation, and
interest are harder to find than people with just the technical skills.

Good luck!