On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 03:34:02PM +0300, David Smith wrote:

> (...) perhaps now is a time to consider an alternative possibility -
> a community ISP.

I like the idea; I wouldn't actively participate myself because I
don't live in Israel, but if it is n00b-friendly enough, I'd push my
family to it :-)

> One business model would be to function as a cooperative (...). The
> open source development concepts could also be implemented (...)

> Does anybody know of an existing project elsewhere of a similar
> nature ?

I've had a chat or two with some people from French Data Networks
(http://www.fdn.fr/). They started such activities back when it was
easy (Internet access meant dial-up) and then recently stepped up to
ADSL. They have said multiple times they'd be happy to help a similar
organisation get started, but the areas where they can help are not
the hardest ones. Roughly, if you need someone to teach you BGP,
they'll do it. But they can't negotiate a contract with Bezeq for
access to the "last mile" copper loop for you.

 - they are not a cooperative, but a "no-profit association".

 - size: barely more than 100 members

 - they are *significantly* more expensive than cheapest commercial
   ADSL

 - roughly, they managed to get an acceptable contract for ADSL-ATM
   *only* because a prominent member works for their upstream ADSL-ATM
   provider. Not because he pulled any "favours", but because he knew
   which salesperson to bug to get things going, things like that.

 - main cost: ADSL-ATM. It costs more than IP transit to the other end
   of the world.

I know (personally or through fame) people who have tried to do
something similar in the Netherlands:

 - either they started a long time ago (back when easy because
   dialup), went commercial, became huge because/or were bought out by
   a big telco company.

   (The story of XS4ALL is a nice one there... Started as a hacker's
   club that understood they would get kicked out from every ISP if
   they were not their own ISP, grew to commercial provider, got
   bought out by incumbent telco but under an agreement that
   guarantees their independence (the *first* thing they did as newly
   acquired daughter company is sue their parent to refuse to send
   them customer marketing data!). Somewhere along the way they became
   the *biggest* ISP in the Netherlands.)

 - or the best offers they got had clauses like "must connect 200 new
   phone subscribers every year, or big financial penalties". So
   totally unacceptable, and never started.

 You hav