On 09/07/07, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 08:01:50PM +0300, David Smith wrote:
> If I understand correctly, in order to set up an small ISP, the
> following infrastructure would be needed:
>
> A connection to at least one bigger ISP, and preferably also to IIX.
> A server to handle DNS/mail/accounting etc and possibly routing
> Optional: a dedicated hardware router
> An 'ISP' connection to Bezeq and Hot.

You forgot an ISP license from whatever ministry issues them.

This requires a lot of money. The cheapest way to do it is to buy
an existing licensed ISP. That's how BEZEQ BENLUMI did it, they bought
ISDNNET which got their license by buying a previous ISP.

I know Orange was refused a license, I don't know how they eventually
got one.

I didn't quite follow the entire discussion from top to bottom, but is there
an option to become a reseller?

That way you get the basic infrastructure from an approved ISP but create
your own brand and support lines.

Not sure it makes sense, especially in the Israeli context, but apparently
it's common in other parts of the world.

--Amos