On Sunday August 12 2007, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2007, Amos Shapira wrote about "Re: @iglu list address
> no longer working":
>> For some reason (people too lazy to change over?) the list managers
>> decided to keep all three address instead of unifying them to one ("
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]" is the natural one, IMHO).
> True.
I disagree. The address should reflect the domain where the mailing list is
hosted.

>> Following that, people who replied through the address from which they
>> were not subscribed got bounced.
>> So a while ago the list managers dropped the subscription requirements
>> and allowed non-member posts.
>
> This is probably not true. The subscription requirements were never
> dropped. But what happened (at least as far as I understand) is that @iglu
> and @linux are mere *aliases*, they forward all their mail to the @huji
> address. At @huji, the validity of the "From:" address, and potentially
> other things, are checked, just like it always did.
Right.

> @iglu and @linux are no longer (again, if I understand correctly) mailing
> lists. They don't run any mailing list software, or any special filter at
> all. They don't have their own subscriber list. They just forward
> everything they get to @huji. Naturally, much of what they get is spam,
> just like much of what you get to any address, and this mixture of spam and
> (until some time ago) real posts is what got sent to huji.
I don't remember iglu ever hosting linux-il. I may be wrong. 1994-1996 was
before my time, and linux-il was hosted at Jerusalem College of Technology
back then, and as of 05/1996, cs.huji.ac.il took over. I suggest we ask Omer
Zak. Omer, you've been there from the beginning, am I correct?

> If I'm not correct in any of these statements, please step in an correct
> me.
>
> > 1. What's the matter with @linux.org.il? Is it still used?
>
> No, just like the @iglu address, it got the axe and is ignored on Huji,
> so anything you send to it gets lost.
Huji has nothing to do with iglu.org.il dropping incoming mail. What are your
sources?

--
Sincerely Yours,
Michael Vasiliev