On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 08:56:55AM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:
> > I quickly wrote something.
> >
> > http://www.lingnu.com/files/xfocus-0.01.tar.gz
> >
> > Let me know if this works for you.
>
> At impulse, I downloaded and compiled it.  The 'Usage:' path works for
> me.
>
> >From usability point of view, the documentation (and maybe the
> application itself) is missing a way to find out what window handles are
> there now.  Remember - do not ask the window manager for this
> information!
>
> How about having xfocus display a list of the handles of all open
> windows (along with some identifying information such as window title or
> controlling process ID - for the user to match up with more information
> using ps's output) when provided with no window handle argument?

xlsclients -l
or
xwininfo -all -root
will give you relevant data.

> When done, xfocus will be cool little application!

Indeed, but is it needed? xwit exists (for 17 or so years now), together
with many other small forgotten utilities from the 90's, many of which
can be found in your favourite x.org mirror under contrib/utilities, and
in the archive of your favourite linux distro (especially if that's
Debian :-) ).
--
Didi