Linux-Misc Digest #473, Volume #18                Tue, 5 Jan 99 06:13:20 EST

Contents:
  Re: How to partition a 9GB hard drive in Redhat 5.2? (Friedrich Dominicus)
  Re: [Fwd: >>>matrox millinium g200 & Xconfigurator<<<] (jisong)
  Re: Process refuses to die (Sechylmanos)
  Re: Why no ksh on RH5.2 ? (Ed Young)
  Can't have fetchmail working ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  H.323 Gatekeeper ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: pppd permissions (Paul Griffiths)
  Re: man command won't work (yisroel)
  Re: IP Masquerading (Peter Potter)
  Re: sendmail problem (Francesc Guasch)
  User Config in RH 5.2 Control Panel (Graham Daniell)
  Re: chroot / execvp probs under RedHat 5.1 (Noah Romer)
  MS enhanced key cause a setmentation fault on my X application ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Port to Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  USB modems ("Angel Rouge")
  Re: Help!!! I can't get my HD partitioned!!!!! (Philip Charles)
  Re: help me choose license ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why no ksh on RH5.2 ? ("T.E.Dickey")
  Re: Linux OS NOT preemptive multitasking ? (Floyd Davidson)
  HP Deskjet 400 wont't print. Help?! ("Alvaro A. Novo")

From: Friedrich Dominicus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: How to partition a 9GB hard drive in Redhat 5.2?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:12:19 +0100

Ilya wrote:

> That is, what partition sizes do I pick?
> I am thinking:
>
> /swap 512MB

Do you have the 128 MB -Barrier in mind? so that would be 4 partitions.
I don't know if RedHat doesn't have this limit

> /     3G
I suggest putting /usr/local on it's own partition and for the / 200 MB
is than more then enough because you have /var on and /tmp on their own
partitons. I've two Harddisks with each 4GB in my  computer here's my
fstab

#
/dev/sdb1               /               ext2    defaults    0       1
proc                    /proc           proc    defaults    0       0
/dev/sdb7               none            swap    sw          0       0
/dev/sda9               none            swap    sw          0       0
/dev/sda5               /usr            ext2    defaults    0       2
/dev/sdb6               /usr/local      ext2    defaults    0       2
/dev/sdb5               /home           ext2    defaults    0       2
/dev/sda6               /var            ext2    defaults    0       2
/dev/sda1       /mnt/wnt_root msdos
user,noauto,exec,user=1000,group=1000,umask=000 0 0
/dev/sda8       /mnt/wnt_exc msdos
user,noauto,exec,user=1000,group=1000,umask=000 0 0
loc1:/                  /mnt/loc1       nfs
soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,noauto,user,intr,exec     0      0

/dev/fd0h1440 /floppy ext2 rw,noauto,user,exec

/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide,exec

I ran Debian 2.0 Kernel 2.0.36

Here's what fdisk -l give me:
Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 527 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        1        1       38   305203+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/sda2           39       39      527  3927892+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5   *      309      309      435  1020096   83  Linux native
/dev/sda6          436      436      527   738958+  83  Linux native
/dev/sda7           39       39      102   514048    7  OS/2 HPFS
/dev/sda8          103      103      166   514048+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/sda9          167      167      173    56196   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda10         174      174      308  1084356   83  Linux native

Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 527 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *        1        1       32   257008+  83  Linux native
/dev/sdb2           33       33      527  3976087+   5  Extended
/dev/sdb5           33       33      224  1542208+  83  Linux native
/dev/sdb6          225      225      416  1542208+  83  Linux native
/dev/sdb7          417      417      425    72261   82  Linux swap
/dev/sdb8          426      426      527   819283+  83  Linux native

I don't have mounted a some partions, because I don't know exactly what
I'll need in the future. So if you have 9GB you pribably can reserve
some space just for all cases. E.g maybe I reserve some space on both
Harddisks to install an own root-file-system. Because in case of a
crash, I think just one Harddisk will get lost. So that isn't a choice
for you but, if you'll ever buy a new disk this might be a choice for
you too.

> /var  1G
> /tmp  1G
> /home 3.5G
>
> The reason / is 3G is because I like to compile stuff and put it in /usr/local/bin.
> Also, /var/adm/crash.
>
> Any problems with that, any ideas?

So that's what I've done on my machine. I use it as a Workstation, what
are you going to do with yours? E.g if you run it as a news-server /var
will probably be too small. 512 MB swap seems to be overkill, I've 128MB
RAM and the computer nearly never swaps.
Here's what free gave me:

             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        127696      92944      34752      66172       6916
38372
-/+ buffers/cache:      47656      80040
Swap:       128448          0     128448

I just have 1 times the swap-space of my RAM but I think that's more
than enough.

Now to bring this to an end ;-). IMO it depends very much on what you're
going to do with your computer. If you have more partitions you've very
flexible and you can more easily reformat your hardisk. But the things
may get cluttered so if you ran very large applications or databases
large partions are your choice. If you have enough space on you harddisk
leave s.th untouched. Maybe you'll need it in the future.

Regards
Friedrich

------------------------------

From: jisong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: [Fwd: >>>matrox millinium g200 & Xconfigurator<<<]
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 08:09:04 GMT

hi,

    thanks for your input...  i just went to
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/XFree86/3.3.3/binaries/ and it seems like alot to download
for modem connection so i got the patch 3.3.2==>3.3.3, would that work (i'm
running redhat 5.2)?  if it does, how do i install it?  do i just replace a
current dir with the new one? thanks again for your help =8]

--

                    @__                __@
                   /   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   \

------------------------------

From: Sechylmanos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Process refuses to die
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 23:01:32 -0800

You may want to try the following command:

kill -9 <PID>

Regular kill just asks the process to die, kill -9 forces it to do so.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why no ksh on RH5.2 ?
Date: 5 Jan 1999 02:59:11 GMT

Y W Wong wrote:

> I have some korn shell script use under RH 5.1
>
> However I cannot find ksh under RH 5.2
>
> Any one can help ?
>
> Y W Wong

It is available in pdksh-5.2.12-5.i386.rpm in RH 5.2
rpm -ql provides:

/bin/ksh
/usr/bin/ksh
/usr/bin/pdksh
/usr/doc/pdksh-5.2.12
/usr/doc/pdksh-5.2.12/BUG-REPORTS
/usr/doc/pdksh-5.2.12/NEWS
/usr/doc/pdksh-5.2.12/NOTES
/usr/doc/pdksh-5.2.12/PROJECTS
/usr/doc/pdksh-5.2.12/README
/usr/man/man1/ksh.1
/usr/man/man1/pdksh.1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup;
Subject: Can't have fetchmail working
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:23:24 GMT

I tried to configure fetchmail using fetchmailconf, but it's not working.

When it runs it checks the mail in my ISP, deletes them from my mailbox (my
ISP does't keep read messages) but dosn't deliver to my local mail system.
I'm running it as root.

what am I missing here ? Folows a copy of my .fetchmailrc.

# Configuration created Mon Jan  4 02:47:00 1999 by fetchmailconf set syslog
set postmaster "root" set daemon 20 poll pop3.uol.com.br with proto POP3
user "bentoloe" there with password "*****" is root here options stripcr  mda
'/bin/mail'

Thanks in advance.

Bento Loewenstein
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: H.323 Gatekeeper
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:03:32 GMT

I was searching the whole net for a Linux based H.323 gatekeeper but couldn't
find any. Is there anybody developing this server or anyone looking forward to
get into a project about this?.

Xavier Quintana

From: Paul Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: pppd permissions
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:18:04 +0000

Andrew, Comech wrote:

> Could someone post the RIGHT way to allow users to dial out?
> I thought I did the right thing having added myself to
> dialout and dip groups (now I can initialize ppp connection
> when not being a root), but the newsgroup is full of other answers.
>
> Honestly, I did not like the suggestion to change something in pppd's
> configuration so that ALL users can start/stop ppp connection,
> and some other suggestions seem kind of too specific/technical,
> from my point of view..
> Thanks,
> Andrew

I don't know about "right", but I do have the permissions for pppd set
to root only. I then have a small C program which issues the pppd
command line via the system() function, which is owned by root, but
belongs to the group pppusers. This way, anyone belonging to the
pppusers group can dial out, without having to change the permissions on
pppd.

Regards
--
Paul Griffiths

------------------------------

From: ***[EMAIL PROTECTED]*** (yisroel)
Subject: Re: man command won't work
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:31:09 GMT

On 5 Jan 1999 02:50:25 GMT, Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ed, thanks for responding.  It was a twisted path, but with the help
of three fat linux volumes i finally figured out how to reinstall the
man command.  I am using redhat 5.2 and being a newbie i didn't even
know the path to my cdrom.  But i've got it working now.  The extra
added trick was that it refused to reinstall until it received the
--replacepkgs command.
all the best
yisroel

------------------------------

From: Peter Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerading
Date: 29 Dec 1998 10:53:42 -0800

"!Xabbu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Any suggestions?

Yeh. Post networking questions to comp.os.linux.networking

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 19:57:28 +0100
From: Francesc Guasch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail problem

Kermit wrote:

> I'm installing RedHat linux 2.0.34.
> Everything works fine except sendmail. When it is started as a daemon if fails
> with the following message:
>
> problem creating SMTP socket
> NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket: cannot bind: address already in use
>
> Any suggestions? please post replies as i can neither send or receive mail.
sendmail is already running, or some other mail daemon, listening
in port 25, try this:

telnet localhost 25

your mail server will answer your request.

You gotta know what daemon you have running and kill it.

--
 ^-^,-----.             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 o o       )            http://www.etsetb.upc.es/~frankie

------------------------------

From: Graham Daniell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: User Config in RH 5.2 Control Panel
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:12:24 +0800

I have installed Red Hat linux 5.2 , and when I start X as root, I get
the Control Panel, but it has no User Configurator icon.  In the RH
Linux 5.0 Version it was there.  What am I doing to cause it not to
install, and can I install it manually after the initial system
install?  If so how?

Hoping someone can help,
Graham Daniell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Noah Romer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: chroot / execvp probs under RedHat 5.1
Date: 29 Dec 1998 22:45:13 GMT

Markus Rathmann ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Noah Romer schrieb in Nachricht <76b7lo$ato$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
: >I'm running into the following problem: whenever I try to use the chroot
: >program, I get the following error message:
: >
: >"chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: No such file or directory"
: >
: Hi,

: should this chroot command (never encountered this - only the function) be a
: script file? if so, check if the first line of the script looks like:

It's a C program that's in the GNU sh-utils tarball.

: 1. The bash is either installed in another path (why ? Don't know!) or

Nope, bash is in /bin (one of the first things I checked).

: 2. When exec() is called, there is a different environment (PATH or mounts
: spring to my mind)

Possible, but the full path to bash (/bin/bash) is being specified, not
just "bash".

: Furthermore, you can call chroot() only as user root (or with those
: privileges), most certainly this condition will apply to the programme too

Yep. chroot tells you if you try and run it w/o root privledges.

Thanks,
Noah
--
Noah Romer              |"Everyone is more or less mad on one point."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       |                       - Rudyard Kipling

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MS enhanced key cause a setmentation fault on my X application
Date: 29 Dec 1998 19:16:57 -0500

funny, but it's true. At first when it crashes my emacs, i thought
there's some bug in my emacs20.2. Today, i experienced the same thing
on my netscape and xv, it seems it's a common problem in my
Motif or X11lib. Can anybody give some suggestions?(I'm using
slackware 2.0.34 #3, X11R6). thanks.
--
--the only difference between a man and a boy is the price of their toys.
                                        --anonymous-:)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Port to Linux?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:03:28 GMT

Hello All

Maximus BBS software is going open source, see www.lanius.com

This would be great opportunity for anyone looking for some
 programming
practice to port the DOS or OS/2 version of Maximus BBS software over
Linux and possibly even go a step further and combine it with a
 webserver
to create a new generation of BBSs.

cut-------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Future Development of Maximus
by Scott Dudley, 12/31/98

As of 12/31/98, Lanius will no longer be selling Maximus and Squish,
 its two
BBS-related products. Due to the changing marketplace, and
 particularly due
to the impact of the Internet, we have decided not to pursue further
development of these products.  However, this does not mean that we
 are
going to "abandon" the products:

For existing commercial users, we will continue to provide help and
 support
as we always have. (For most users, this means one year of support
 from
the date of purchase.)  Lanius is also committed to providing a
 version of
our software which is fully Year 2000 compliant. This will happen in
 the near
future, and it will be available at no charge to all users of
 Maximus.

>Last, but not least, we are also planning to make the Maximus source
 code
>available under the GNU Public License (or some variation thereof).
 This
>will allow third-party software developers to enhance and modify
 Maximus
>for their own purposes. This code will not be supported, but it will
 be
>freely available. (We have not yet set up a timeline for this
 release, so
>please do not ask us any questions about it.)
>We thank you and we appreciate your support for Maximus over the
 years, but
>we also hope that you realize that it is time for us to move on.
With regards,

Scott Dudley
President & CEO

Cut-------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Please note, the > characters were added by myself to highlight the
important parts.

   #----------------------------------#
     Cheers, George
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   #----------------------------------#

------------------------------

From: "Angel Rouge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB modems
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:10:17 -0800

I am looking into buying a 56k USB modem. Of course this would work fine for
the windows side of my machine (win-linux dual boot), but I haven't heard
anything about the linux side.

Has anyone had any experience with using USB modems (or any other USB
devices) under linux? If so please drop me a note at this address. Any
thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Rouge

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Charles)
Subject: Re: Help!!! I can't get my HD partitioned!!!!!
Date: 5 Jan 1999 10:40:09 GMT

What disribution?

Are you certain that it is a HDD bios that accesses the extra HDD space?

With a Debian rescue disk it is possible to get into a shell and run cfdisk
and see what is happening.  This is probably true of other distributions.

Try this and good luck.

Phil

--
Philip Charles.  My home page:-   http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~philipc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: help me choose license
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 03:37:40 GMT

steve writes:
> So what is the correct term for products that require the purchase of a
> license before they can be used?

Proprietary is the word most often used.

> would company M be able to sell a product that depended on a commonly
> available GPL shared library that was a closed-source buy-before-you-try
> type product?

There are arguments both ways on this, but I don't think they'd risk it.
Even if they won in court they would take a huge PR hit.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 Jan 1999 02:53:26 GMT

John Meissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>It is avaliable from AT&T for personal use. I don't recall the Web
>>page anymore, but a search might turn it up. It was in a package called
>>  astkit_base_96.linux.i386.tar.gz
>>
> OK, I found it :-) The current version is actually a bit more recent.
>   http://akpublic.research.att.com/~vt/ext-software/reuse/

_that_ (take a look at the disclosure agreement.  basically it says
they own anything you do with it.  I don't know why they bother putting
up a web site for that.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Subject: Re: Linux OS NOT preemptive multitasking ?
Date: 5 Jan 1999 10:01:18 GMT

Matthew Kirkcaldie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Please keep the attributes straight.  You did NOT quote anything
I wrote.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Alvaro A. Novo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Deskjet 400 wont't print. Help?!
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:42:34 -0600