Linux-Misc Digest #473, Volume #21               Fri, 20 Aug 99 06:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: *nix vs. MS security ("L. Friedman")
  Re: Why did RMS adopt Unix? (and other questions) (Bernhard Reiter)
  Re: Quake turns off my monitor! (Pope Emperor FrogMaN)
  Re: Linux vs. Unix (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: Boot crashes at module dependancies. (Matt Templeton)
  Re: ISO9660 Joliet extensions bug? -- Slackware 3.5Kernel 2.0.34
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  No sound with xmms (Fung Wai Keung)
  Qseeme, please help! (Bjoern Smith)
  Re: why not C++? (David Schwartz)
  Re: why not C++? (David Schwartz)
  epoch format to date/time (Guru Prasad)
  Upgraded Processor ("Jeff Grossman")
  Re: No core file (Peter Pointner)
  Re: Troll (was: why not C++?) (Stephan Houben)
  Re: Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs .... (John Girash)
  Re: Installation problems (Sujatha Natraj)
  Re: MS Proxy server req NTLM auth: MSWSP for Linux? ("Johan Hartzenberg")
  HTML Apps: votes needed here! ("Jonathan Wilson")
  Re: OPL3-SA3 souncard won't play sound!!! (Sonny)
  Re: Zip 100 under Linux-Mandrake (Michael McConnell)
  Re: Viewing bootup messages RH 5.2 (Sujatha Natraj)
  console login takes too long (Carsten Rohde)
  Re: route problem: Can't add gateway address (Sujatha Natraj)
  Re: OT, bad profs, Re: *nix vs. MS security (Christopher B. Browne)

From: "L. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:08:47 -0400

wrote:
>: I'm taking a class on operating systems.  During the last class,
the
>: instructor mentioned that *nices are less reliable and less secure
than
>: Microsoft OS's.  His reasoning is that because *nices (espeically
linux) is
>: free and everyone has access to it, it's less secure.  Random
people can
>: hack into a *nix system easier because they can figure out the
interrupts
>: and stuff, since it's a free OS.
>
>I suggest you find yourself a better informed instructor.
>
>So far as this ng is concerned, you have just started a flame war.

Huh???  So far i haven't seen a single post that could be construed as
a flame in this thread.  In fact, its one of the more interesting
linux vs. NT threads that i've read in a while, simply because it has
not degenerated into a flame war,  and remained civil and informative.

-L

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernhard Reiter)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Why did RMS adopt Unix? (and other questions)
Date: 20 Aug 1999 07:24:04 GMT

On 19 Aug 1999 09:22:51 +0100, Richard Kettlewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bernhard Reiter) writes:
>
>> People don't know Objective-C enough.
>> Easier to learn and NeXTStep was written in it.
>
>Where can one find documentation for the language?

http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/ObjC/objective-c.html

I was told that Brad Cox's book about it contains too much advertisment,
because he wanted to sell his Stepstone Compiler. The NeXT documentation
was pretty okay from what I recall.
        Bernhard

--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.    (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure              (ffii.org)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pope Emperor FrogMaN)
Subject: Re: Quake turns off my monitor!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:47:30 GMT

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:55:36 -0400,  in comp.os.linux.misc Andy Busch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the great Opera:

>Pope Emperor FrogMaN wrote:
>>
>> On 15 Aug 1999 10:07:52 -0700,  in comp.os.linux.misc Scott Maxwell
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the great Opera:
>>

>> >Just bought and installed the official Linux Quake package.  When I
>> >run squake from a VC, my monitor goes into DPMS OFF mode.  Any idea
>> >how to fix this?
>> >
>> >My setup: Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme (Permedia 2 chip, 4 MB),
>> >Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, libvga 1.3.0; can't think of anything else
>> >relevant.
>>
>> Try lowering the refresh frequency.  It sounds like Quake is
>> overloading your video card, which is extremely bad because it can a)
>> damage the card or b) blow up your monitor.  Also try turning off the
>> power saving feature.  For some reason Quake may be tripping that.
>Quake isn't tripping it.  libvga is.  Permedia 2 chips and VGA don't
>seem to cooperate so well.  If I try running any (S)VGA things, my
>monitor goes into standby, too.  Sometimes I can ctrl-c out of it, but
>I've had to hard reboot a couple times.

Hurm.  Because that's what happened with me.  The refresh rate was too
high and it was freaking out my Viper 550.  I lowered the refresh
rate, and it works fine now.

Now all I have to do is find some drivers for the RivaTNT so that I
can install Xwindows.

Pope Emperor FrogMaN the Zermacroyd Guavahead, XXXQ,
the vile illegitimate spawn of competence.
Get your sorry ass over to http://home.earthlink.net/~rtoad
Do it now.
Read the Bathroom Wall!  Write for the Bathroom Wall!
http://home.earthlink.net/~rtoad/zine.html
COO Stormtrooper

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Unix
Date: 20 Aug 1999 05:53:10 GMT

Christopher B. Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>>Radar sites (i.e., LRR, SRR, BMEWS and DEWLINE) are something I
>>am very familiar with, but I still have never heard of this city
>>called Alert, Canada.
>
>CFS Alert
>
><http://www.8wing.trenton.dnd.ca/wce/alert.htm>
><http://tscm.com/alert.html>
>
>It is reported (by Department of National Defense) as the "most
>northern permanently inhabited settlement in the world."

Which is significantly different from my statements about
Barrow being the northern most incorporated _city_.  We have
schools, stores, street lights, etc. etc.

>Rumor has it that the complement *was* 180, and was to be
>converted largely to remote operations thereby reducing staffing
>by 90%, presumably to 20.

I'm not positive about the Canadian DEWLINE, but typical manning
for the sites in Alaska, when operated by military personal some
20-30 years ago, was listed in the nature of about 125-150.  In
fact most of them actually had about 75 people at any given time.

Current manning requirements for most of them are 4-8
civilian contractors.  (Several sites have been closed down
completely.)

>The staff are largely associated with the Communications Research
>trade, which is the radio signals interception group.

If they are still engaged in that activity, their manning
might be significantly greater than most sites.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Matt Templeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Boot crashes at module dependancies.
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:46:02 +0000

"Edward C." wrote:

> I've just recompiled my kernel (2.2.5) on my RedHat6.0 system for the first
> time.  When it's booting up, it get's stuck at "Finding module dependancies"
> after a little disk-reading.  I did 'make modules' and 'make
> modules_install' when recompiling, and also 'depmod -a'.
> Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Same thing happens to me when ever I compile RedHat using RedHat source
(the same thing happened in 5.2). I think it has something to do with
the modules set up by RH then dumping the new modules in
/lib/modules/<kernel version>. I get around it by downloading the latest
kernel from www.kernel.org and compiling it instead.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.apps.cdwrite,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: ISO9660 Joliet extensions bug? -- Slackware 3.5Kernel 2.0.34
Date: 20 Aug 1999 07:51:28 GMT

In linux.dev.kernel Psybermac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I downloaded a whole bunch of stuff (using the LAN @ work), including
: Slackware 4.0 and burned it onto a CD-R using Win98 and Adaptec's software
: to create an ISO9660 disc w/ Joliet extensions.

I think your problem lies here. I guess the dot at the end of the filenames
was written as well in the joliet extention, and maybe even in the iso9660
format. You could better try to get hold of a iso image made on a unix
or linux machine which uses rock-ridge instead of (or together with) joliet.
Why would you use a m$ 'standard' for a cd filesystem you are going to use
in linux when there is a well established general standard called rock-ridge.

:  The burn seemed to come out
: fine, but when I view the contents on my Linux machine, all of the files
: without file extensions (such as README) have a dot appended to the end.  Of
: course the dots don't show up on a Windows machine.  Is there a bug in this
: kernel that makes the dots show up on CD's with Joliet extensions?  Besides
: being annoying, it renders Slackware's setup program unable to read the
: tagfiles to install the packages.

: On a related note, when I mount this CD at boot-time, I get the message:
: "Unable to load NLS charset ISO8859-1 (nls_iso8859-1)"

You probably have to compile this charset into you kernel, or make its
kernel module.

--
Kind regards,
                    Dennis Bijwaard (remove antispam to reply)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fung Wai Keung)
Subject: No sound with xmms
Date: 20 Aug 1999 06:30:05 GMT

Hi,

        I installed xmms in RedHat 5.2 and it played mp3 files without sound.  I
can play mp3 perfectly with mpg123 v0.59r and I can play wav file with program
"play".  I think my soundcard setup is fine.  Would you show how to make xmms
playing mp3 with sound?

Thanks in advance.

Wai Keung, Fung

Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T.,
Hong Kong.

Tel: (852)26098056      Fax: (852)26036002

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:41:42 +0200
From: Bjoern Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Qseeme, please help!

Hi!

I'm having trouble getting qseeme (v0.83b) to work. The application
starts ok
but any connection I try is failing. My Linux 2.2.10 box is on a private
network and I
have a sync ISDN PPP connection to my ISP. I use ipchains to avoid
connections
from outside (is that the problem?).

I have all the masquerading stuff set up (works fine for other IP
services) and
the ip_masq_cuseeme kernel module is propery loaded.

I'm fairly experienced with Linux and IP networking but new to CuSeeMe.

1) Should I start qseeme with -l option? (what argument in that case)

2) Are there any specific IP port numbers that must be open for
connections
   from outside?

Many thanks in advance for any kind of help,

--
Bj=F6rn Smith     Compound Systems AB, phone +46 8 4464260
Email:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: why not C++?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:45:04 -0700

Cocheese wrote:

>      Again I admit it would take a little extra work and put a minor set
>
> back in the evolution for a month or 2, but if C++ is so much faster,
>
> easier, and stable- WHY NOT?

        C++ may have some advantages over C, but "faster", "easier" and
"stabler" are NOT them!

        DS

------------------------------

From: David Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:56:16 -0700

Phil Howard wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 19:56:20 -0700 Randall Parker ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> | I think the real problem with C++ and heap memory is that too many
> | programmers who use C++ do not understand how much all the stuff they are
> | writing is fragmenting the heap.
>
> Of course.  They tend to be abstraction oriented applications programmers.
> Details?  We don't need no steenkin details!  :-)

        This is the penalty you take everytime your language takes you further
from the hardware.

        I remember way back in my microcontroller days, dealing with a chip
that had no hardware capability to do signed arithmetic. So when people
had:

int i;
for(i=0; i<10; i++) { something(i); }

        I changed it to:

unsigned int i;
for(i=0; i<10; i++) { something(i); }

        And things got much faster. Then I remembered that the chip had a
'decrement and jump if not zero' instruction. So we next went to:

unsigned int i;
for(i=10; i!=0; i--) { something(i); }

        And things got much faster again.

        You always have to look at what your code is making the machine
actually _do_.

        DS

------------------------------

From: Guru Prasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: epoch format to date/time
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:06:14 -0500

Hi ,

How do i convert a date from epoch format to the normal date/time format

e.g    date  +%s
         935118125                   --------epoch format
         date +%y%m%d
        19990819                       - ------readable format

Thanks
Guru Prasad

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Grossman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,msn.computingcentral.os.linux
Subject: Upgraded Processor
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:30:26 -0700

Hello,
I was running Redhat 6.0 on a Pentium 133 with 32 megs of ram.  I just
upgraded the motherboard and installed a Pentium II 350.  I installed 64
megs of ram on this motherboard.  I was wondering, now that I am running a
Pentium II, should I recompile my programs and/or the kernel?  Will I see
more of an increase with the programs recompiled?

Thanks,
Jeff

--
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
From: Peter Pointner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No core file
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:01:35 GMT

Kyle Jamieson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to generate a core file when my program crashes, with no
> luck.  I have typed unlimit in the shell, yet when my program seg
> faults, I get no core file anywhere.  Is there another way of
> controlling whether a core file is generated?

Does "I have typed unlimit" mean you typed: "ulimit -c unlimited"?
Verify if it worked by "ulimit -c". If this still gives 0, then probably
the hard limit has been set, and a normal user can't go above the hard
limit and can't increase it.

On my SuSE, this is done in /etc/profile:
ulimit -c 0                     # don't create core files
There is another line, which is commented out:
#ulimit -c 20000         # only core-files less than 20 MB are written

So, for me it works to disable the first and enable the second line.

From: Stephan Houben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Troll (was: why not C++?)
Date: 20 Aug 1999 08:59:59 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rainer Joswig) writes:

> A Lisp system is the ultimate in dynamic changeability
> and debuggability. Unless you have **live** debugged stuff
> like NFS mounts, you won't hardly understand what
> this stuff is about. It is the ultimate hacker's machine.
> All code a keypress away, tools tightly integrated,
> excellent integrated documentation facilities, not the multitude of
> stupid scripting languages, a real graphical and
> mousable command interpreter, reusable OS facilities,
> on the fly compilation, on the fly updating of change
> objects, ...

OK, you have me convinced. I want it.

Is anyone working on a new Lisp OS nowadays?

Greetings,

Stephan

------------------------------

From: John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....
Date: 18 Aug 1999 17:20:22 -0500

Johan Hartzenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi Everyone.

: Is there anywhere I could find a comparative summary of the different
: distributions of Linux?

: A web-site or FAQ doc or any other resource would be great if you could
: point me in the right direction.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue31/hughes.html has a good review IMHO.
It's not completely current (for example, I hear that Debian's installation
utility has much improved in 2.1), but should give you a feel for each.

: What I want to know is what are the main differences between the distro's to
: help me eliminate at least some before I start experimenting to find the
: right one for me.

My personal & probably biased descriptions (please don't flame, just comment):

Slackware: for the Unix traditionalist, no fancy package managers or GUI
           config tools, doesn't feel the need to be bleeding edge wrt libc
           or kernels or the like.  Which makes a lot of sense if you want
           your system to be simple, stable, predictable, and bloat-free.
           No GNOME or KDE, just good ol' XFree.  Unfortunately, is i386 only.

Redhat:    The opposite of Slackware, introduced RPM package format and GUI
           config utils.  Installs easily but doesn't give you a heck of a
           lot of control (my only experience is RH5.1 though).  Comes with
           mix of OS and commercial products (i.e. default desktop is KDE).
           i386 & Alpha, ideally aimed at the first-time Unix/Linux sysadmin.

SuSE:      I'm going to go out on a limb here -- I have no experience with
           SuSE -- and say that it *seems* to be what RedHat should've been.
           Comes in multiple languages, also uses RPMs, has many applications
           included, installs easily.  And they seem to have many fewer
           "growing pains" at each new major release (due to better QA?)

Debian:    The "modern" carrier of the Slackware torch.  Whereas Slackware is
           the most Unix-like of the distros, Debian is the most Linux-like,
           i.e. it takes the cooperative open-source development model of the
           linux kernel and applies it to the OS as a whole.  This alone made
           it my favourite replacement for my original Slackware.  But Debian's
           impressive selection of included apps and rock-solid QA can't be
           beat by the closed-shop distros; they just don't have the manpower.
           2.0's install could be infuriating (I've heard 2.1's is much better)
           but the adminning of the system once up is a breeze.  Uses own .deb
           package format, supports i386/Alpha/M68k/Sparc with more to come.

These are what I consider to be the "Big Four"; there are other platform-
specific distros (e.g. YellowDog for PPC), derivatives ones (Mandrake, of RH
origin) and even-more commercial ventures (Caldera, and the new Debian-based
Corel Linux) but it sounds like you'll be looking at the overall picture first.
For a more complete list see http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html .

And to be complete, I should point out that the *BSD's are also an alternative.
jg

--
"don't listen when you're told about the best days in your life     Spirit of
 a useless old expression, it means passing time until you die."     the West

------------------------------

From: Sujatha Natraj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installation problems
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:52:08 +0800

> I would like to install RH on my computer, but I have a problem I get disc
> druid to recognise my partitions.

use fdisk. lot better; less complicated.

> What I do is several ext2 partions in Partion Magic 4 and boot os the rh 5.2
> install cd and get to the point of selecting which partition to put the main
> part of os into and the apps into, but there are no ext2 partions shown in
> partition list.

well.. I don't know about this, but if you don't have data on these
partitions and you can afford to repartition, go ahead with fdisk - delete
partitions and just repartition. Five minutes and you are done and ready!

> Has anyone tryed this way of insalling RH and does anyone know of a cheap
> way of getting hold of an RH6 cd as I don't won't or need the full boxed
> version.

mail your local newsgroup. People in this community are usually very
helpful as far as lending distibutions goes! :)

One newbie to another,
-- nd.
Sujatha Natraj                                  (year3/sem5)
SMTP                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PSTN                                            256 8660 (residence)
HTTP                                    http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~sujathan

Definition of the day:-
DESTINY :  A tyrant's authority for crime and a fool's excuse for failure

From: "Johan Hartzenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Proxy server req NTLM auth: MSWSP for Linux?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:22:04 +0200

The proxy server is configured to accept connections from clients
authenticated against the NT domain only. Access is granted depending on
whether the user is member of the correct groups or not.

The Microsoft Proxy client that needs to be installed on workstations
intercepts traffic destinied to the internet and routes it via the proxy
server, adding user authentication information etc.  My question is can I
get a linux workstation to authenticate against an NT domain for proxy
requests, and can I get a client for linux to be able to access internet
services such as FTP and SMTP via the MS proxy server?.  Any help will be
appreciated.

  _Johan

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: HTML Apps: votes needed here!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:50:05 GMT

I'm new to Linux, and trying hard to leave Windows behind for good. As part
of my business I occasionally write web sites (www.heritagebarns.com, for
example). I've learned how to program in HTML, but I like using programs
such as Adobe Pagemill much better. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO ME is being
able to drag table borders with the mouse. It drives me crazy to do complex
tables "by hand". Otherwise I'd be happy with Netscape Composer. The next
most important thing is, it must be free, and downloadable from somewhere.
And I must be able to use relative addressing. Also I like RPMs— I have a
hard time with tars still. I've not yet included any Java or multimedia in
my pages, so that's not really important.

Please post to the newsgroup, rather that flooding my mail box.
Thanks!
    JW

------------------------------

From: Sonny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: OPL3-SA3 souncard won't play sound!!!
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:27:04 GMT

I have one of these 'cute' little opl3 cards and I had a similar
problem.  I installed all the modules with no errors or anything, but it
just wouldn't play.  It turned out I need to turn the volume up in the
mixer device.  Try X11amp (or whatever it's called).  If it just goes
with no errors and no sound, then this might be your problem.  If it is,
try using xmixer to turn the volume up.  Good luck.
Sonny

------------------------------

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Zip 100 under Linux-Mandrake
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:04:57 +0100

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Joseph L. Davis wrote:

> I have found a strange problem and am not sure the best way to fix.
> After upgrading to Linux-Mandrake (RedHat 6.0) my Parallel Port Zip will
> only allow me to insmod ppa after I have tried to print to my printer on
> lp. If I try to insmod lp or insmod ppa I will get error messages :

Try modprobe instead of insmod. Insmod JUST tries to load a module, failing
as you describe if there are unresolved symbols. Modprobe loads every module
that is required to make sure all symbols are present, and only complains if
a module is completely missing.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807
                Eridani: Your PC doesn't need Windows or Gates.

------------------------------

From: Sujatha Natraj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Viewing bootup messages RH 5.2
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:53:51 +0800

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, coffee wrote:

> Warren Bell wrote:
> >
> > What file stores the boot up messages, like:

type this at the prompt:

dmesg | less

and there you have!

From: Carsten Rohde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: console login takes too long
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:21:56 +0200

Hi!

I just configured masquerading and a dhcp-server
on my little 486 DX 2/66 using slakware linux(  kernel 2.0.34  )
and now console login ( after entering the password ) takes more than
one minute, too long i think.
Any idea what the reason for this delay could be ?

tia

Carsten

------------------------------

From: Sujatha Natraj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: route problem: Can't add gateway address
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:05:27 +0800

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:49:20 GMT
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.misc,
>     comp.os.linux.setup
> Subject: Re: route problem: Can't add gateway address
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Youjip Won <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dear Linux guru,
> >    I am fan of linux, but never ever able to get the network setup in
> > one shot. This time was not an exception. After several trials and
> > errors, I am finally writing this message in a hope that I could get
> > some help.
> >
> > To make long story short, I cannot add gateway to routing table.
> >
> > Here's what had happened. I can ifconfig and route add 'lo' and
> 'etho'.
> > When I do "route add default gw 166.104.88.1", it does not complain.

well, with a loopback or with a single interface, you really don't need a
default gw. But, if you need to fire up ppp, then do this:

pppd -d -detach /dev/modem 56400 &
ifconfig -a
(look for the dynamic ip allocated - call it a.b.c.d)
route add default gw a.b.c.d

this should work if you are trying to dial in to your, say ISP, and are
allocated a dynamic ip.

Yeah, the crudest way of doing things and not at all very pretty; but how
much more can a newbie help, afterall? ;)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: OT, bad profs, Re: *nix vs. MS security
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:18:06 GMT

On 18 Aug 1999 23:02:23 GMT, Cameron L. Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>Don't argue when your professor teaches bullshit; graduate and make
>more money than he does by your second year out.

The nearest to "arguing" would be to do a Really Good Paper on
security that panders neither to NT nor to UNIX, but that rather
concentrates on more "cutting edge" research OSes.

In that context, the context for any "jabs" against NT could occur
indirectly, the result of indicating the natures of inadequcies in
both UNIX and NT.

--
NIHIL EX NIHIL -- DON'T SETQ NIL.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>