From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: manual fsck and root passwd
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:12:47 +0200

> after a crash mandrake linux got the following message:
>
> /dev/hdaXX UNEXPECTED INCOSOSTENCY, RUN fsck ...
>
> *** An Error occoured ...
> *** Droppig you to a shell ....
>
> Give root password for maintenance
> (or give ....):
>
> Login incorrect.
>
> The password was the right one! The partion was the /home/project
> one. The same behavior I know about rh linux. I was not able to run
> fsck manually due to the lack of the accepted passwd !

The correct root password?
I run RH too, and never had a problem with it rejecting the root password.
(I'm not sure on my main PC, that never crashed, but there I reject root
logins in normal circumstances)

> What is ging on here and how can I prevent this ? SuSE is working for
> in those cases !

Just boot from a resue system and run fsck from there.
I have no idea why you're denied root login.
You didn't by any chance choose a maximum security install
or something similar, and thereby possibly rejecting root logins?

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: startx gives problems
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:14:43 +0200

> > Last fall I had the same problem with RH 6.2 I don't remember the
> > exact fix, but I thrashed around looking for xfs lock files (while xfs
> > was not running), restarted xfs ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start" [1]) and
> > xfs was up and running, w/o any problems since. There was definitely
> > no serious work involved.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. I exactly did what you tried to explain here.
> First I stopped the xfs service and then removed the xfs lock files under
> the /var/lock/subsys directory, then started the xfs service and then gave
> the startx command. But no joy, it is giving the same error and when I ask
> for the status of xfs it is once again displaying the same message 'xfs
dead
> by subsys locked'
> Here is the sequence of commands that I used.
>
> >service xfs stop
> >rm -fr /var/lock/subsys/xfs
> >service xfs start
> >startx
> >service xfs status

If you didn't change anything prior to this, run df.
I suppose /tmp or /var to be filled 100%

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [mke2fs] how to add a filesystem?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:21:11 +0200

reboot before you run mke2fs.
The kernel hasn't updated the partition info yet.
(cat /proc/partitions)

When you ran fdisk, it told you to reboot.
next time, you'd better listen to that advise.
You'r lucky you didn't accidently formatted another
partition.

> bash# fdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1027 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1             1       256   2056288+   b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hda2   *       257       346    722925    b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hda3           493      1027   4297387+   5  Estesa

hda3 has the wrong type.
I'm not sure if qnx cares, but change it to 0x85
(The silly non-existing windows E: drive wil dissapear)
If qnx does care, make it 0x0F.

> /dev/hda4           347       492   1172745   4f  QNX4.x 3rd part
> /dev/hda6           640       640      8001   83  Linux
> /dev/hda7           641       699    473886   83  Linux
> /dev/hda8           700       710     88326   83  Linux
> /dev/hda9           711       972   2104483+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda10          973      1027    441756   83  Linux
> /dev/hda11          493       639   1180746   83  Linux

And again I don't know if qnx cares, but some OS's don't deal well
with partitiontable entries that aren't contiguously.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Subject: Re: how do I zip it
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 05:14:29 GMT

In article <53Ev6.3406$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
           [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Michelle Reddan" writes:

> I want to compress a folder.
> I created a tar file of it, but how do I reduce the size, is there a way to
> zip in linux
> can anyone help?

Well, you can do it indirectly (which is what you'd have to do on most
systems with a standard tar).

make your tar as usual, then gzip -9 {tarname} or bzip2 -9 {tarname}.

or tar -cf - {files} | gzip -9c > {tarname}.gz
or tar -cf - {files} | bzip2 -9c > {tarname}.bz2

However, with GNU tar you have the additional option to tar itself which
invokes compression seemlessly

tar -zcf {files} {tarname}.gz
tar -Icf {files} {tarname}.bz2

(Be careful with the "I" option for bzip2 compression - it's not always
"I".)

Or you could use the infozip zip utility to create zip files compatible
with PKZip 2.04 and WinZip.  zip -? will give you the options.

I think that covers all the bases...
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |  ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: LILO installation
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 05:22:12 GMT

Query:  Is there a simple way to tell LILO to install on a disk
as if it were installing on another?  e.g. can I install it on
/dev/hdb MBR but tell it to treat it as /dev/hda for boot purposes
(for the purpose of migrating to a different disk by simply copying
mainly).

I could boot from floppy, but that requires installing a floppy in
the machine in question.  If I could just install LILO directly
on the new disk, there'd be no need.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: LILO installation
Date: 29 Mar 2001 12:00:28 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Raj Rijhwani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Query:  Is there a simple way to tell LILO to install on a disk
>as if it were installing on another?  e.g. can I install it on
>/dev/hdb MBR but tell it to treat it as /dev/hda for boot purposes
>(for the purpose of migrating to a different disk by simply copying
>mainly).

I spent a long time trying to do this and came to the conclusion that
it wasn't - I was wrong.  What you have to is tell the lilo installer
what disk geometry to write to the disk.

I *think* the relevant thing is "bios=0x80" in the configuration file
(to tell LILO that the disc *will* be /dev/hda at boot time, even if
it isn't now).

HTH
John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: system.map
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:56:15 +0200

> what is the use of the file /boot/system.map?! after compiling a new
kernel,
> should i copy this file to /boot as well?! without this file, my system
> still reboot with no problem.

If you don't know what it's for, you don't need it.
Don't bother with that file yet, just leave it where it is.
(You could use it for debugging, if you must know)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Ramine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.soft-sys.math.scilab
Subject: New release of  Scilab
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:21:21 +0200

A new Scilab is out. Download it, free, and pass it on to your friends.

        Scilab Group proudly announces the release of Scilab-2.6

What is Scilab?
===============
        Scilab is a scientific software environment for numerical
computations. It resembles Matlab/Simulink and MatrixX/SystemBuild
family
of products. Scilab is developed at INRIA and is available via anonymous

ftp in source and binary formats:
                ftp.inria.fr    in directory    INRIA/Scilab
                http://www-rocq.inria.fr/scilab

What is new?
============
Automatic graphic rescaling when superimposing 2D plots.

Graphics axis handling.

Isometric 3D plots. Thanks to Enrico Segre.

3D plots shading. Thanks to Stephane MOTTELET.

function/endfunction syntax has been defined. It is now possible to
include function definitions within script files.

Error message handling.

Function grep  added.

Modeless message box added.

Profiling of function execution added.

Real time simulation in Scicos. Thanks to Anders Blomdell.

Scicos diagram linearization and fixed point computation.

Others improvements
===================
A more explicit "free licence". It is no longer required to send back
any notice.

Registration to SciClub can now be done on-line from Scilab's home page.

Input/Output improved (carriage return at the end of the files are not
required anymore, OS independent ascii file input, properties of opened
files available in Scilab).

More complete mexlib for MatlabV mex interface.

Many bugs corrected in integer type manipulations.

API improved, many examples given.

A better window management under KDE.

A better plugin interface (help, demos,...) and new Scilab functions for

building and loading interfaces.

Interactive demos for ODE and DAE added.

Scicos' GUI improved, customizable menus and keyboard shortcuts added.

Default list, tlist and mlist display can now be overloaded.

It is now possible to draw dashed lines in color. Background now works
with postscript driver. Simpler argument passing to plot2d, plot3d,...
Known GIF driver bugs fixed.

Incompatiblity
==============
help and scicos palettes handling have changed.

Fraclab toolbox has been moved to the contributions part and is no
longer included in the package.

The Communication Toolbox (geci) is now obsolete. It will be removed in
the next release. Use PVM instead.

                    Thanks to contributors
                    ----------------------
Scilab group wants to thank the increasing number of people who have
contributed to this new version of Scilab, with special thanks to
Anders Blomdell, Lydia Ellen van Dijk, Stephane Mottelet, Dan McMahill,
Ton van Overbeek, Bruno Pincon and Enrico Segre.

We hope that many other contributors will join the contributors' team...

                    Is it really free?
                   -------------------

Yes it is. Scilab is not distributed under GPL or other standard free
software copyrights, but Scilab is an Open Source Software as stated
precisely in the Copyright file licence.txt.

Happy Scilabing

Scilab Group

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A fatal error to get back the system
Date: 29 Mar 2001 12:18:43 GMT

This normally occurs when either an Xlibrary is missing, so just do a
/sbin/ldconfig,
or when X is screwed, so then try reinstalling X.

Justin

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, arasu
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Hello to all,
>
>I have installed linux 1, redhat version 7.
>I tried to change the monitor settings by Xconfigurator. I could not
>change it successfully, and somehow I tried to reboot.Now is the
>problem. I get the following message on the terminal and I could
>not get the gnome desktop windows.
>
>******************
>According to /var/run/gdm.pid, gem was already running, but
>seems to have been murdered mysteriously.
>
>INIT: id"x" respawing too fast: disabled for 5 minites.
>
>**************
>Now it is hanging. I tried reset, reboot again. same error.
>
>Can any one help me to solve this,?Thanks
>
>-arasu

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kent Robotti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ANNOUNCE: loopslack
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:32:30 -0000

There's no linux packages or distribution at the site below, you
need to have or get a slackware linux distribution on cdrom.

There's a number of places you can get a slackware linux
distribution on cdrom for as little as $2.

What you'll find here is the means to install a slackware
linux distribution from cdrom or hard drive (see installing
linux below).

The rootdisk "loopslak.bin" below, is based on the rootdisk
"color.gz" from slackware 7.2 current.

The rootdisk now has ext3 and reiserfs (kernel 2.2 and 2.4)
filesystem support.

The rootdisk also has umsdos and loop linux support, you can
create a linux system with a ext2, ext3, or reiserfs filesystem
on a dos/win9x partition, and boot it from there.

The loop linux system can't be larger than 2000mb, you can
enlarge or reduce the size of the system after you create it.

# loop_resize "From the rootdisk!"

The rootdisk can also be used as a rescue system, it has been
updated and changed, but should work with any existing slackware
bootdisks.

Read CHANGES below for more changes.

The present slackware bootdisks don't have ext3 or reiserfs support.
If you want a bootdisk with support for either of them, you would
have to create it yourself.

This is an example of how to write a slackware boot and root
disk to a 1.44mb formatted floppy, under dos and linux.

Create boot floppy!
C:\ rawrite2 bare.i a:
# dd if=bare.i of=/dev/fd0

Create root floppy!
C:\ rawrite2 loopslak.bin a:
# dd if=loopslak.bin of=/dev/fd0

You can get slackware bootdisks at the slackware site or
on the slackware cdrom in the bootdsks.144 directory.

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/slackware/slackware/bootdsks.144

Read README.TXT at the above site!

You can get kernels "bzImage" here or on the slackware cdrom in
the kernels directory.

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/slackware/slackware/kernels

Read README.NOW at the above site!

You can create a bootdisk with the kernel of your choice.

The kernel must have "ram disk and initrd support", all slackware
kernels have this.

The kernel should also have "loop device support" if you want to
create a loop linux system, all slackware kernels have this.

Get "makedisk.zip" and unzip it.

Under dos/win9x you would do it this way.

C:\ pkunzip -d makedisk.zip
C:\makedisk> makedisk kernel "Create bootdisk!"

Under linux you would do it this way.

# unzip makedisk.zip
makedisk# chmod 755 makedisk.sh
makedisk# makedisk.sh kernel "Create bootdisk!"

####################### Installing Linux! ##########################

Q. How do i install a slackware linux system?
A. Put the cd with the slackware distribution in the drive.

Use the boot and root floppies you created.

Put the boot floppy in the drive and restart your computer,
at the boot prompt press enter, you'll be told when to INSERT
the root floppy.

If you don't want to use floppies you can boot "loopslak.bin"
from your dos/win9x system, using loadlin.exe.

C:\ loadlin kernel initrd=loopslak.bin root=/dev/ram0 rw

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/linux/slackware/slackware/kernels/LOADLIN.EXE

After you boot the rootdisk you should run setup.

# setup

If you want to create a umsdos or loop linux system on a
dos/win9x system, choose "Umsdos_loop" from the menu.

If you want to create a linux system on it's own partition,
choose "Linux_native" from the menu.

Umsdos_loop   Install linux on a dos/win partition
Linux_native  Install linux on it's own partition

Chose LOOP_HELP or LINUX_HELP from the menu for help!.

When you run 'setup' you'll have the option of installing
the slackware linux system, from cdrom or a directory on
your dos/win9x system.

1 Install from a slackware CD-ROM
etc.
3 Install from a pre-mounted directory "Read below!"

If you have a directory on you're dos/win9x system with the
slackware packages (at least the a1 series), you could chose
option 3 above and answer /mnt/slakware below.

Which would mean that you have \slakware\a1 \slakware\a2
etc., on your dos/win9x system.

Which directory would you like to install from?
/mnt/slakware

########################### CHANGES! ##################################

These are some of the changes to the installation setup.

The addition of "menu express" and "expert express" modes.

"menu" mode puts up a menu at the start of each series of
packages, from which you can install systems such as
the GNU C/C++ compiler, or the Linux source code.  It's
easy to use, and makes installation go much faster than
"newbie" mode.

"menu express" mode is the same as "menu", except it puts
the menu for each package series up front, then installs
your choices non-stop.  You can also go back over selected
menus, if you want to make changes.

"expert" mode is similar, but allows the toggling of every
individual package.  This offers the greatest control over
what gets installed on the machine, but can be tricky for
beginners.

"expert express" mode is the same as "expert", except it puts
the menu for each package series up front, then installs your
choices non-stop.  You can also go back over selected menus,
if you want to make changes.

The "cpkgtool" script from the slackware 7.2 current "hdsetup.tgz"
package has been changed, it now has four new options, that's the
only change.

# pkgtool

Convert  rpm or deb package to slackware tgz format
List     contents of rpm, deb, tar.gz, tgz, or tar.bz2 package
Monitor  make install and create record of install
Create   slackware package from /var/log/packages/package_name

You can convert x.rpm or x.deb packages to slackware x.tgz format.

Yow can monitor a command like "make install" and create a record
of the install.

The record will be put in /var/log/packages/package_name
and can be removed like any installed package.

# removepkg package_name

You'll also have the option of creating a slackware tgz package
of the install, after the install or later using /var/log/packages/
package_name as the guide.

Usually when you compile a package you do this, more or less.

# ./configure --prefix=/usr
# make
# make install

Instead of the "make install" step do 'pkgtool', and
chose monitor from the menu.

# ./configure --prefix=/usr
# make
# pkgtool

Do this to install it.

# installpkg cpkgtool.tgz

You can get loopslak.bin, cpkgtool.tgz, makedisk.zip, and
rawrite2.exe here.

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux
ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux

loopslak.bin 1320kb
cpkgtool.tgz 23kb
makedisk.zip 14kb
rawrite2.exe 16kb

The license for the above is GPL.

Kent Robotti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (3-29-2001)

End!

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Migrating from PMMail mail client to Linux
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:24:29 GMT

Robert Morelli wrote:

> I have been using a mail client called PMMail under OS/2.  PMMail is
> also available for Windows.  Since I work mostly under Linux now,  I'd
> like to migrate my email client and existing email archives to some
> Linux based system.  I see two ways to go.
>
> 1.  Keep using PMMail.  This would be preferable.  PMMail is light
> years ahead of anything I've seen for Linux.  In fact,  it's considered
> excellent even by the standards of Windows software.  The question
> is,  can PMMail run under WINE?  I've never used WINE.  Before I
> take the trouble to set it up and see if PMMail works,  I'd like to know
> if anyone else has already been that way.

Could you please point to me the web page of PMMail?  I got curios about
the features that a PMMail offers that any of the Linux mail client does
not have.

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange file metamorphose
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:51:25 +0200

> Normal files or directories switch to charakter or block devices without
> any reason. Moreover I am (root) not allowed to remove this devices.

man lsattr

> They look like that:
>
> drwx------   2 jesko    users        4096 Dez  2  1999 ktimeclock
> drwx------   2 jesko    users        4096 Dez  9  1999 kwebwatch
> br-sr-xrwt   1 1536     29810     10,   0 Sep 18  2028 kwm   <------?????
>
> What's that?
>
> The only way to remove this files is debugfs, and this is the most
dirtiest

are you sure?
tried `chattr -i`

> way. The first thought I had was, the disk is defective. I download a disk
> checker from seagate but everything is fine. That is very strange to me
but

> WHAT IS IT??

windows?

that in combination with a bad partitiontable.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Alan Po" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: What is the size of Linux 2.4.1 Kernel
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:46:56 +0800

Dear all

Would you tell me the size of Linux 2.4.1 kernel? Is it very large?

Thanks a lot

Alan PO

------------------------------

From: "Alan Po" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: The differences between Ash and Bash
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:51:04 +0800

Dear all

The great difference of the size of Ash and Bash make me want to ask a
question. What is the differences between them in function?

Please tell me.

Thanks a lot

Alan Po

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: phone client/server idea
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:49:50 GMT

Davide Bianchi wrote:

> "Neil Zanella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hello,
>> I would like to use an application framework that lets you connect to
>> another computer and use that computer's modem as a phone to call people.
>
> <ZAP>
> So you talk to the PC, the data are digitalized, sent over the network
> to the other computer, then the data must be turned back to analog to be
> sent over the phone line again?
> Beside the fact that the modem on the other machine should be
> able to generate voice data (normal modem can't do that), and you should
> have a direct connection to the internet trought a fast connection, and
> probabily this thing will suck out all the possible bandwidth,
> what are the so-called "advantages" of this system ?
>
> Davide

A normal digitized voice only takes no more than 10Kbps of a network
bandwidth.  In my opinion, the original author has a clever point in this
matter -- to make a free long distance call over the Internet (a.k.a VoIP).

I have the priviledge to have a facility to use two Aplio/Phones to
communicate between the US and one of the pourest countries in SouthEast
Asia and the connection is excellent (the audio quality far exceeds the
audio quality provided by any leading long distance company).  Between the
two Aplio/Phones, it is a digital connection in the sence that the
Aplio/Phone (on the caller end) sends its digitized voice through the modem
(yes, Aplio/Phone has a modem builtin) over the Internet and receives by
the Aplio/Phone (on the receiving end) through its modem.  The only analog
connection is between the actual convetional phone and the Aplio/Phone
unit.  Depending on the distance between the conventional phones that are
attached to each Aplio/Phone unit, the connection is almost a 100% noise
free.

Having said the above, I feel that the original author, not only has an
indigenious idea of having such an idea to utilize the Internet bandwidth
for VoIP, he's also providing his thought of having better free long
distance calls.  Of course, there already exists free long distance calls
of a kind, PC-2-Phone, PC-2-PC, or even Phone-2-Phone, but such a facility
is not available in some countries.

I hope people who have programming skills and read this post will get
together and put this thought into reality so that others will take
advantages of what today's technology can offer for a better life.

------------------------------

From: Marek Bromberek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMC Ultra with Debian 2.2
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:26:41 -0330

  I was just wondering if enybody had the same problem with SMC Ultra
ethernet card as I did.
  I was setting up my new Debian 2.2 box and when (during installation)
there was a time to configure modules the Initialization failed error
occoured when i picked up smc-ultra module from the list.
  I was also trying to pass io=0xXXX and irq=... arguments but nothing
worked. I was sure that that is the right module because I took the card
from my old computer (Debian 2.0) where I was using it for two years
stright without any problems.
  I also tried to remowe all other ISA cards assuming that maybe there is
some kind of conflict between them but no...
  Then I was advise to recompile the kernel with that module and
surprise... works great.
  I just would like to understand what is going on here :-)

  Any suggestions

  many thanks

  Marek

               Marek Bromberek          tel: (709) 737-8880 (O)
              Dept. of Physics               (709) 726-9734 (H)
Memorial Univ. of Newfoundland          WWW:krusty.physics.mun.ca/~marek/
     St. Johns's, Newfoundland       e-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                A1B 3X7 Canada