From: John Reiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: Persistent data storage
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:13:25 -0700

> The only requirement is that
> the system is optimized so that the number of write-cycles is limited
> to the absolute mimimum.  We are not using a hard-disk, but a
> flash-disk and flash allows only a limited number of write-cycles.

Are you talking 1000 cycles, 1,000,000 cycles, or what?
I saw a catalog ad in which SanDisk offers a "one million picture
guarantee" on their CompactFlash chips.

Look into the "-o noatime" option for /bin/mount, and check the
cycle time and other options for bdflush ("man update").
Except for these, the defaults for filesystems managed by the
Linux kernel come very close to "minimum writes".

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X display garbled - SiS 5597/5598 - any fix?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:23:57 -0700

I edited XF86Config and changed default display depth from 32 to 16 found in
two sections and everything came up ok for 640x480.  I still need mode lines
for 800x600 and larger.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason A Martin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Why do FTP downloads stall under RH6.2 linux
Date: 17 Aug 2000 19:20:10 GMT

let me ask this: why should changing the uart type to 8250
allow transfers to complete that the 16550a will not?
this is the most puzzling part.
The 16550a has a 16-byte buffer where the 8250 has only one byte.
also 16650 and 16750 uarts work fine with my modem except in the case
of certain ftp gets. do you think that active/passive mode should have
anything to do with this? (by the way, if I am wrong on the uart specs
let me know)

        Jason

Larry Condon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: man wget

: Wget has never failed to retrieve a full file for me, even through a
: disconnect/reconnect sequence.  As to the ftp programs, most problems seem (to
: me) to be active/passive transfer issues

: Rinaldi

: no email please, not my box.

: Robert Kiesling wrote:

: > It could be due to several reasons, but there seems to be due to an
: > incompatibility with the ftp server daemon, as it occurs both with NT
: > and Linux servers.  I've noticed it mostly when connecting to wu-ftpd.
: > I'm not sure exactly what daemon NT servers use.  It might be due to
: > large data packets overrunning the buffers, but there's no conclusive
: > proof of that.  About the only real fix I've been able to come up with
: > is to use the Linux port of the FreeBSD ftp server, which you'll need
: > to build on your own system.  It's on freshmeat, at least, and should
: > be on the standard source archives.
: >
: > Robert
: >
: > (@ home)
: >
: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason A Martin) writes:
: >
: > > I do not have a solution here but I do have the same problem and I have
: > > noticed some peculiarities:
: > >
: > > 1) This only occurs with ftp exchanges, (at least through my experience)
: > >       and typically on larger file gets.
: > > 2) it happens with masqueraded transfers or on transfers originating from
: > >       the server itself.
: > > 3) /sbin/ifup ppp0 has been putting a lock on the wrong serial port
: > > 4) The behavior changes when I use setserial to reassign the uart type:
: > >       8250: Every transfer work perfectly, as you would expect for
: > >               this uart. it is slow, but reliable. Very slow, but
: > >               all transfers work.
: > >       16550a: should work, my modem is new and not a winmodem. In fact
: > >               it does work on everything but some ftp transfers. not
: > >               all, but some. speed is good, except the little problem
: > >       most other uarts function like the 16550a as far as I can tell.
: > > 5) Obviously is not a modem issue because windows 9x and NT 5 have no
: > >       issues with it.
: > > 6) /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS2 share irqs, but I think this is standard.
: > > 7) I believe that this problem may have originated when I installed the
: > >       2.2.16 kernel, though I have not yet tested this hypothesis.
: > > 8) the client software is not the issue either, as ftp, ncftp, and
: > >       netscape (linux) and opera/explorer/ftp (win/masqueraded machine)
: > >       all give the same trouble.
: > >
: > >       I hope that these leads can give someone some insigt into a
: > > solution. My system is offline at the moment and unfortunately no solutions
: > > can be tested. as a temp solution for these downloads I have been
: > > switching the uart to 8250 (requires restarting of ppp0) and this is a
: > > pain. not to mention the 20 meg downloads at 2k/s take quite a while.
: > >       If I can't get it fixed then my hope is taht the 2.4.x kernels do
: > > not cause the same problem. I am curious if anyone has this problem who
: > > is NOT connecting over a modem. That is why I think the problem
: > > originates through the serial port. Good luck,
: > >
: > >       Jason
: > >
: > >
: >
: > --
: > http://www.mainmatter.com/

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Changing Linux drive from slave to master
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:38:25 -0400

Hi,
    I presently need to install Linux on my slave drive and will
probably use Lilo on my MBR. Some time later, I want to
Use that drive, as master or as the sole drive on the system.
The drive will have Win95 on it also. How can I make the change
and still have Lilo boot the system from the MBR?

                                                                Mike

------------------------------

From: Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X Window System Rebellion
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:36:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]
> Try Xconfigurator from the shell prompt when logged in as root.

Unfortunately, if he has an i810 mobo, it will fail miserably to fix his
problem :(

Dennis, what is your video card.  I understand it's Intel branded, but
what chip is it actually?  Is it one of those 810e on an i810 mobo?

-=hammer

--
MC
"I've been trying to get as far away from myself as I can" - Bob Dylan

From: JCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.ole,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc
Subject: Re: job for you
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:42:05 -0700

    How come this klinja idiot is earning only $20 a month on the net?

------------------------------

From: Alan Needleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: swapd crash - any leads appreciated
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:59:03 -0400

Tony Lawrence wrote:

> > Sorry about the multiple postings if they are not appropriate, but I
> > have been having repeated crashes and my previous single post (probably
> > to the wrong group) did not get a response.
> >
> > I have 256 Megs of RAM and a 384 Meg swap partition (hda10). I am the
> > only user on a RH 6.1 system with kernel 2.2.16-3. As best I can tell,
> > the swap file is rarely used but I get swapd crashes 1-3 times a week
> > with error messages like that below.
>
> It can be used for paging even if you aren't swapping.  I
> thought 128 MB was the limit for a single swap partition?

Thanks for the reply. The paging makes sense. I believe the 128 MB is
gone in the 2.2 kernels. It may be a memory problem that I've been
having.

Thanks again.

Alan

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without* MS-Windows...
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:58:59 GMT

I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
$189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.

Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
*external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
the serial port than Linux cannot?

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Amadeu K. Sum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.nfs
Subject: NFS mount problem
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:02:59 -0400

I am running a Linux system with RH 6.2. I seem to be having
some problem when mount NFS. when I do "rpcinfo -p", I get:
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp    660  status
    100024    1   tcp    662  status
    100011    1   udp    669  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    669  rquotad
    100005    1   udp    677  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    679  mountd
    100005    2   udp    682  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    684  mountd
    100005    3   udp    687  mountd
    100005    3   tcp    689  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs

But it seems that one port is not being connect (i.e., the
tcp protocal for nfs). I tried to load the tcp port with:
        rpcinfo -h 2049 -t host 100003 2
and I get:
rpcinfo: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused
program 100003 version 2 is not available

I also tried restarting the nfs server, as well as the
portmap, several times without any luck. Does anyone have
any idead have can be the problem and how to fix it? Thanks
in advance. Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                        Amadeu

From: Stefan Soos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Restricitng executables through telnet?
Date: 17 Aug 2000 21:11:55 +0200

Patrick M Geahan<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Hi,

> I'm looking for advice as to the best way to accomplish this.  I know I
> could stick a set of command in the .login to call pine and then logout,
> but would this prevent them from dropping to a prompt?  I don't want them
> to be able to cancel the script execution to get around what I'm doing.

I don't think .login is a good idea.
Mutt for example has the ability to start subshells. So they could execute
whatever they want. You could try to give chroot a chance,
but even then, it's a hard work until it'll work.

> Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

HTH,

Stefan

--
Send mail with subject 'get gpgkey' to recieve gpg-public-key

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: to any one using linux with sympatico HSE: what gives?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:14:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>   Well something is wrong.
> Have you tried to ftp something?
> Yes . Off cdrom.com.

> < Damn this crappy outlook!! It tries to mark stuff as links!! @#%&*! >

> Two at the same time. One pegged at 7 KBytes/S . The Other started off at 2
> KB , climed to 11 KB and then settled down to 8 KB.

> A third transfer off a 3dfiles server stalled !

   The easy thing to try is to disconnect any phones you might have on the
same line. See if that makes a difference. Also if you have a jack at the
entry point for your phone service see if you can plug the modem in there.

> I didn't bother with their proxies ( if they have it).

> Most of what I use it for is ftping stuff and for updates. So their proxies
> are useless.

   Websites using forms never worked right for me without the proxy setup.

> Any thing to know about videotron and linux ?

   The only negative I've heard is they have some sort of download limit.
Plus the usual no server rules that the cable companies all seem to have.

Nick

--
=============================
Anybody got plans for an ark?

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to disable CTRL-ALT-DEL restart in console mode?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:27:52 -0400

Stefan Soos wrote:

> I've commented out the following line in /etc/inittab:
>         ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -r -t 4 now
> and added this one:
>   ca::ctrlaltdel:/bin/cat /etc/noreset.txt
> BTW, is it possible to execute this line more than one time?
> If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del the first time, the text will be displayed,
> but then never again.

I don't see that behavior on my RedHat system; I just
changed it to do "date >> /tmp/this" (just so I could see
that it responded) and it keeps on adding to the file every
time I fat finger it.

It maybe that your distro treats ctrl-alt-delete the same as
"once"; you might try issuing an "init q" and see if that
changes its mind..

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: "Marcel Post" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: streaming-video software?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:31:20 GMT

> > Do you feed it with audio from your linux, or via a connected machine
inside
> > your own network?

> The RealProducer takes the sound off the soundcard, and provides it at a
TCP port.
> The RealServer takes it from there to give it to the world.

Aha...  Now it's becoming clearer. I never knew the priciple of the exact
streaming method.
Is this done with the UDP protocol?

about the Real-software:

> And the free tools are hard to find on their site,
> anyway.

Yup, I don't see it there anymore. I luckily have a copy of the G2-server
version ;-)

Cya,
Marcel

------------------------------

From: Trond Myklebust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.nfs
Subject: Re: NFS mount problem
Date: 17 Aug 2000 22:38:09 +0200

     > But it seems that one port is not being connect (i.e., the tcp
     > protocal for nfs). I tried to load the tcp port with:

There is not yet support for NFS over TCP in the Linux kernel
server. I have beta patches for linux-2.4.0 (replete with multiple
denial of service possibilites), but 2.4.0 is in currently in deep
code freeze.
In other words don't expect anything to go into the official Linux
kernel until the 2.5.x development series is started.

Cheers,
  Trond

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading an enternal USR Courier V.Everything *without*
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:39:44 -0400

Robert Heller wrote:

> I have a 33.6/28.8 USR Courier V.Everything and I would like to upgrade
> it to a V90 (56K) modem.  The problem: I *don't* have MS-Windows
> installed on my computer.  Since a full version of MS-Windows costs
> $189, with the added cost of the modem upgrade of $60 == ~$250, this
> makes about $250.  Which happens to be close to the cost of a *new*
> modem...  I can either buy a copy of MS-Windows, install it on my 345meg
> C: drive (presently containing MS-DOS 6.2 and is mostly full of old .tgz
> files) or buy a new modem.  Yuck.
>
> Does there exist a version of the upgrade program for Linux?  Does
> anyone what the upgrade *actually* program does?  This is an
> *external* RS232 serial modem.  What can a *MS-Windows* program do with
> the serial port than Linux cannot?

Nothing, if you knew what to do.

Why not just prevail upon someone you know who DOES run
windows to do the flash for you?  Once it's done, it's done,
and you can put the modem right back where it and you will
be most happy..

--
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com/Linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Tracking page replacement in Linux?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:45:05 GMT

Hello Everyone,

I'm a graduate student at the College of William and Mary, and I have a
question regarding how to track page replacement that has arisen in the
course of my research.  I'm working on doing load balancing with a
coarse-grained parallel program that calculates eigenvalues/eigenvectors
of large, sparse matrices.  This is an application that can require
hours of running time to yield useful results, and, furthermore,
requires lots of memory.  Hence, if another process is running on a
compute node and competing with our application, then things can slow
down dramatically because the system has to start page swapping to
disk.  Since most processes that would compete with ours probably would
have lifetimes significantly shorter than the many hours that our
application run, it might be possible to speed up things by having our
application back off some (that is, start doing less work than usual)
when it senses that lots of swapping is going on.

The question that arises here is: How can my application tell when lots
of page replacement is going on?  Note that I am actually interested in
page replacement proper, that is, what occurs after a page fault when
there are no free frames of physical memory.  I know that in /proc/stat
there are fields that tell the number of pages that have been brought in
and out.  Monitoring those could be a possible way of telling if page
replacement is going on, but that would be rather inexact--Linux, after
all, does plenty of demand paging all the time.  It seems that the best
I could do would be to say that once the rate of paging passes some
threshold, I'm probably doing page replacement.  There are two other
fields in /proc/stat, however, which tell me, according to the man page,
"The number of swap pages that have been brought in and out". Can anyone
tell me what that means?  It sounds to me like this might be something
that I'm more interested in--my guess is that it means pages that have
been brought in off of the swap device, which would, I assume, mean
pages that have been swapped out when the system ran out of free frames.
Although I'm still not quite sure what is meant by the field, because
systems that have not experienced any high memory loads still say that
they have paged "swap pages" in and out.

Any help given would be sincerely appreciated.

--Richard Mills

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:53:22 -0400

>    Websites using forms never worked right for me without the proxy setup.

> > Any thing to know about videotron and linux ?
>

>    The only negative I've heard is they have some sort of download limit.
> Plus the usual no server rules that the cable companies all seem to have.
>
> Nick

The first time I tried it, I had all the phones disconnected, and the modem
plugged into the basement connector. which is connected to the phone box at
home. There's no jack in it. just wires going in and out of it.
I also tried it with all phones connected through the filters and moving the
modem about. The transfer rate is the same whether it is in the basement or
in my room .

Another thing:
I am on the 64.229.x.x network. I heard some negative references to this ,
and am wondering : Would it be that I am connected through a bad card to a
worse front end ?

joseph

From: Jerry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:06:39 -0400

Is the "immutable" attribute set? chattr -i inetd.conf will clear it if
so...