Linux-Misc Digest #473, Volume #24               Mon, 15 May 00 05:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Newsreader help needed (INFOMAGNUS)
  Re: Newsreader help needed (Arjan Drieman)
  Re: SCSI devices and SMP kernels ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: autofs and smb filesystems (Andreas Hinz)
  Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues! (mace)
  Re: kudzu segmentation fault (Greg Greenway)
  Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues! (Jason Dixon)
  Re: Webcams + Sound activated alarm system ("Dave Liquorice")
  Re: ReiserFS Chk (Koos Pol)
  Re: Newsreader help needed (Neil)
  Re: Benchmarks and relative speeds (fred smith)
  Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues! ("Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]")
  Re: Need input on developing a unified configuration program for linux
("AnonymousCoward")
  Re: kudzu segmentation fault ("David ..")
  qpopper and mail quota ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Redhat6.2 Network bug ?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gnome DPMS (Cyprien LAPLACE)
  Cut and Paste in Linux/KDE.... (Tux)
  Re: Newsreader help needed (Paul Colquhoun)
  Help!!!..MAKING A NEWSGROUP LIST...!!!! (Tux)
  Re: can't get SLAB working (mugu)

From: INFOMAGNUS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Newsreader help needed
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 01:16:06 -0400

Hello.  I'm relatively new to Linux, and I am enjoying the experience of
learning the OS.

Right now I am playing around with different newsgroup readers...TRN, TIN,
SLRN, and PINE.  I prefer the message editor that PINE uses, but it
doesn't thread articles.  I like the interface in SLRN, but I can't figure
out how to set it up to authenticate with login and password to news
servers requiring authentication.  Also, I can't figure out how to use the
message editor...I think it's something called ELM.  I've explored the man
pages for both SLRN and ELM, but I didn't find any info that was any help
to my problem.  Maybe I'm just bleary-eyed or still too green.

Is there a way to change the default msg editors for SLRN, TIN, and TRN?

Is there a way to setup SLRN for login/password authentication?

Is there a how to for ELM anywhere?  I tried linuxdoc.org, but I still
couldn't figure out how to send off messages from ELM.

I am grateful for any assistance.  The community here has been extremely
helpful, and I always share any help and info I have that may be of
assistance to other users.

Thank you.

Pax,
Amado

"Specialization is for insects."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arjan Drieman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newsreader help needed
Date: 15 May 2000 05:29:42 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 01:16:06 -0400, INFOMAGNUS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Also, I can't figure out how to use the message editor...I think it's
>something called ELM.

Elm is an email client.  Slrn uses vi by default.  Vi is a powerful
editor, it takes some time to learn though.  The nicest thing about vi
is that it's available on nearly every un*x system, so wherever you go,
you'll know the editor ;-)  Here's a short (and very incomplete) command
reference to vi:

:w              write file to disk
:w!             idem with override
:w filename     write to file 'filename'
:w >> filename  append to file 'filename'
:wq             write and quit
:q              quit
:q!             quit with override
i               insert text
a               append text
0               go to begin of line
$               go to end of line
dd              delete current line
5dd             delete 5 lines
x               delete character
6x              guess what... delete 6 characters ;-)

'i' and 'a' will put vi in input mode, escape will put it back into
command mode.

Vim is a vi clone with syntax coloring support... write followups in
color ;)

>Is there a way to change the default msg editors for SLRN, TIN, and TRN?

Dunno TIN or TRN, but slrn looks in ~/.slrnrc :

% Command used to invoke editor.  In the following example, %s represents
% the file name and %d represents the starting line number
%set editor_command "jed '%s' -g %d -tmp"

% Editor command for editing posts, mail, and score files.  Note the use of
% single quotes around %s.  This is only necessary if you use filenames
% with spaces in them.
%set mail_editor_command "jed '%s' -g %d -tmp"
%set post_editor_command "jed '%s' -g %d -tmp"
%set score_editor_command "jed '%s' -g %d -tmp"

So that'd make it use jed.  Perhaps you can fool around with it to have
it use the editor of your choice.

>Is there a way to setup SLRN for login/password authentication?

~/.slrnrc :

% The next line is for those servers that require a password.
%nnrpaccess "HOSTNAME" "USERNAME" "PASSWORD"
%nnrpaccess "HOSTNAME" "USERNAME" ""         % Prompt for password
%nnrpaccess "HOSTNAME" ""         ""         % Prompt for username and password

If there's nothing in there that looks like this, drop a line like it
in it.  The % means it's comment, so don't put that in front of it.

>I am grateful for any assistance.  The community here has been extremely
>helpful, and I always share any help and info I have that may be of
>assistance to other users.

That's the spirit.

HTH,
Arjan
--
"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free
to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SCSI devices and SMP kernels
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 05:18:43 GMT

I got the same error after recompiling the kernel on RH 6.2.  I've got
a dual celeron box, (Tyan Thunder 2 with adaptec scsi on board).
Worked ok with default kernel.  I guess after recompiling all the
modules something screwed up in the aic7xxx.o module.  I went back to
RH 6.1 with no problems.

-ted

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Hinz)
Subject: Re: autofs and smb filesystems
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 06:01:01 GMT

On 13 May 2000 03:11:50 GMT, Patrick M Geahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>/viper/mp3, I get "No such file or directory."  If I shut down automount, I
>can see the directories, but they won't mount.

Hi,

which version of automount are you using:
/usr/sbin/automount --version

I am running 3.1.4 and having run:

 ln -s /usr/local/samba/bin/smbmount  /sbin/mount.smb

>mp3             -fstype=smbfs           ://viper/mp3

Change =smbfs to =smb and running the above "ln" and it should work.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Andreas Hinz

------------------------------

Subject: Re: 2 network cards: problems, but more clues!
From: mace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 23:02:32 -0700

You haven't your default gateway in bootup.
so surly you can't connect to internet.

check /etc/sysconfig/network to see if
it have "GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", if not,add it.

From: Greg Greenway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kudzu segmentation fault
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 22:41:30 -0700

That is just how redhat set it up by default.  They were trying to make
it easier if someone adds new hardware because it would be recognized
automatically instead of someone having to know what kudzu is and how to
run it.

GREG

------------------------------

From: Jason Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 06:13:59 +0000

mace wrote:

> You haven't your default gateway in bootup.
> so surly you can't connect to internet.
>
> check /etc/sysconfig/network to see if
> it have "GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", if not,add it.

Yeah, if you look at the bottom 1/3rd of his original post (in this
thread), you'll see that the gateway is empty:

/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
HOSTNAME=grbc.vor.org
DOMAINNAME=vor.org
# GATEWAY=
GATEWAY=                # Do I need a GATEWAY here?  What?
GATEWAYDEV=eth0
NISDOMAIN=""
IPX="no"
IPXINTERNALNETNUM="0"
IPXINTERNALNODENUM="0"
IPXAUTOPRIMARY="on"
IPXAUTOFRAME="on"

duh?

------------------------------

From: "Dave Liquorice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Webcams + Sound activated alarm system
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 22:26:26 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 14 May 2000 10:49:42 +0400, Eddy Young wrote:

> I had a system like that in mind. Don't you have any links, resources
> where I can learn more about the programming?

That is what search engines are for. I've seem comments about a joystick
driver for Linux so finding source code for that shouldn't be to difficult.
Then just hack it about, or simply see ho it does things and roll your own
limited version.

> I thought a serial port should do, but I am not certain.

Well I guess you could use one of the control lines but in theory RS232
swings +/- 12v so the hardware interface side would be harder. A joystick
button is just a switch, just like the contacts in a PIR. Mind you they are
normally closed which is the same as "button pressed" which may create a
firmware/software problem. But you can get PIRs with change over contacts so
you could use the NO pair.

--
Cheers                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dave.                                    Remove "spam" for valid email.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Koos Pol)
Subject: Re: ReiserFS Chk
Date: 15 May 2000 06:05:16 GMT

On Sun, 14 May 2000 00:01:25 +0200, Jo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Hey everyone,
|
| i test the reiser fs an get crashed :-((

This is very unusual. Are you sure you have kernel support for reiserfs? If
you only use the reiser utilities (without the kernel patches) you may very
well end up with trouble indeed...

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam
T:+31 20 3116122   F:+31 20 3116200   E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

------------------------------

From: Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 15 May 2000 00:12:34 PST

In comp.os.linux.misc INFOMAGNUS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a way to change the default msg editors for SLRN, TIN, and TRN?

I use tin which uses the pico text editor by default, which is the same editor
to which pine defaults. It is very intuitive. Try tin.

> Is there a how to for ELM anywhere?  I tried linuxdoc.org, but I still
> couldn't figure out how to send off messages from ELM.

man elm should help you with elm. It takes some getting used to. You might
want to start by learning vi. Vi can be frustrating at first but after you
learn it vi becomes easy and natural to use.

--

Neil

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Benchmarks and relative speeds
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 17:17:29 GMT

Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raj Rijhwani) writes:
:> In article <8fl8k8$aq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
:>            [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Jon Plews" writes:
:> > IIRC SETI relies heavily on the FPU so I'd guess the K6-2 has a
:> > weak FPU.
:> This would certainly seem to be the case.  (Now regretting having bought
:> AMD - something I would never have thought I would say...)
: This is something I thought I heard once or twice before - AMD K6-* FPUs
: might not be quite up to scratch compared to the Intel ones, or something
: like that. In any case, it depends what you want to do - I know that for
: having a notebook sitting onna knee recompiling a kernel, I'd choose AMD
: any day. (Or rather, a G3, but so it goes ;)

It is **well known** (though apparently not perhaps by everyone :^)
that the K6 family has a, ahem, underpowered FPU. OTOH the integer
performance is good and the price is right. Many people (including me)
do not do much FPU-intensive computation, so they make a great low-cost
solution for such people.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,

------------------------------

From: "Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:05:26 +0100

Arjan Drieman wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2000 03:32:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> You can probably re-run the script by typing "/etc/sysconfig/network"
> but I'm not sure if that'll remove old junk from your routing table...

Hi,

You can just type 'ifup eth0' which will reset the parameters on the
interface and sort out routing table entries for the new values.

Alternatively you can run the boot script...

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop

then

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

There is a 'restart' option to the script which combines both steps
*but* I have seen it fail ;-(

I would do the explicit 'stop'/'start' until you get things working -
then try 'restart'

HTH

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: "AnonymousCoward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need input on developing a unified configuration program for linux
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 03:32:34 -0400

> HTML is absolutely the way to go.
>
> However ...
> What happens if you want to change the IP number of your linux box?!!

Changing your box's IP is not a problem, because you would be using the
loopback IP, not your box's internet IP.  127.0.0.1 will always get the
current machine.

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 02:47:40 -0500

Greg Greenway wrote:

> That is just how redhat set it up by default.  They were trying to make
> it easier if someone adds new hardware because it would be recognized
> automatically instead of someone having to know what kudzu is and how to
> run it.
>
> GREG

To turn it off just give the command "setup" as root at a command prompt
then choose "System services" and remove the asterisk next to the
service you don't want to run at boot time. Then if or when you add
hardware you can turn it back on to try and configure new stuff.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: qpopper and mail quota
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 07:49:41 GMT

We have a quota on partition /var/mail

In case the disk usage exceeds the limit specified by the quota
users even cannot log on as qpopper daemon cannot write a lock file at
/var/mail

Is there any way for the user to delete their own mail
in case the mail quota exceeds?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: tw.bbs.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Redhat6.2 Network bug ??
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 07:59:09 GMT

Yes, you are right, I tried all of them and only reboot could bring it
up. Any ideas? Do u think it is the interface MAC address problem? I had
forwarded this problem to redhat inc. I hope they could solve it.

> On Sun, 14 May 2000 18:43:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >When server A ping itself, it works fine.
> >
> >It just cannot communicate with other servers anymore such serverB,
C,

From: Cyprien LAPLACE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome DPMS
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 10:17:41 +0200

i would know how to activate in gnome the
function whose name is DPMS in KDE (kcmdpms)
to switch off the monitor automatically.

 Thanks
Cyprien.

------------------------------

From: Tux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux
Subject: Cut and Paste in Linux/KDE....
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 06:01:03 -0230

Hi guys,

Is there some way that I can use cut and paste procedures in KDE...
I'd like to be able to have a "global" clipboard that all my programs
can cut and paste from....   Has anyone successfully done this...  For
instance, when I'm trying to quote lines from a text file or error log,
I'd like to be able to cut the text from one program (text editor/xterm)
and then paste to my email client...   Otherwise I have to go and put
the file in my email as an attachment...

Is there another method of doing this...???  Thanks...

Trevor...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:44:17 GMT

On Mon, 15 May 2000 01:16:06 -0400, INFOMAGNUS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|Hello.  I'm relatively new to Linux, and I am enjoying the experience of
|learning the OS.
|
|Right now I am playing around with different newsgroup readers...TRN, TIN,
|SLRN, and PINE.  I prefer the message editor that PINE uses, but it
|doesn't thread articles.  I like the interface in SLRN, but I can't figure
|out how to set it up to authenticate with login and password to news
|servers requiring authentication.  Also, I can't figure out how to use the
|message editor...I think it's something called ELM.  I've explored the man
|pages for both SLRN and ELM, but I didn't find any info that was any help
|to my problem.  Maybe I'm just bleary-eyed or still too green.
|
|Is there a way to change the default msg editors for SLRN, TIN, and TRN?

In SLRN, look for "set editor_command" in the .slrnrc config file.

|Is there a way to setup SLRN for login/password authentication?

This is configured in the "nnrpacess" line in .slrnrc

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Tux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,nf.comp.linux
Subject: Help!!!..MAKING A NEWSGROUP LIST...!!!!
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 06:06:02 -0230

Hey guys/gals,

I'm using netscape communicator for an email/newsgroup browser and I was
wondering if there is some way that I can make a newsgroup list, much
like an email list, whereby I can type in the name of the list and the
message that I was composing wouldbe sent to multiple newsgroups (all
the newsgroups in my list)....!!!!!   Does anyone know how to do
this...???  Thanks...

Trevor...

Subject: Re: can't get SLAB working
From: mugu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 00:45:36 -0700

I finally solved the problem, it's got to do with the kernel
version. I just installed SuSE 6.4 and SLAB's working perfectly !