From: Michel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Red Hat 5.2 worth fifty notes?
Date: 29 Mar 1999 21:33:09 -0600

Harry wrote:

> Actually I wanted an "internal price comparison" (between the
> various RH products) and not an external one (between RH and MS).
>
> However, thanks all the same!
>
> BTW - did you know that if you have a valid windows product (for
> instance, an upgrade CD-ROM) you can use that to validate your
> upgrade? Could have saved a few $...
>
> Harry

I saw RedHat 5.2 for $35 at CompUSA in Grand Rapids Michigan last weekend.
This is the official package.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles E Taylor IV)
Subject: Re: newsreader for linux
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:30:10 -0500

In article <jBeM2.266$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremiah) writes:

>       I use knews now for precisely that reason...  it may not
> be the "best" newsreader, but it serves my purposes...

Another vote for knews here, in tandem with leafnode for offline
reading.  Why knews?  Well, it's quick, it works, and I really like
the way it displays threads.  If you're heavily into binary groups,
it's probably not the best choice of readers, but I'm not, so ...

Charles E Taylor IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Visit me on the web!
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help with LILO
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:37:14 +0000

"Luiz Gadelha Jr." wrote:

> Hi!
> I've just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 on a computer using the following
> partitioning scheme:
>
>         Disk: /dev/hdc
>         Size: 3GB
>         Partitions:
>                 /dev/hdc1       /boot           10MB
>                 /dev/hdc2       /               2990MB
>
> But I can't figure out how to configure LILO in this situation, with the
> kernel not in the root partition. I've used this scheme since I was
> advised to keep the kernel on the first cilinders of the disk. I am
> installing LILO on the /dev/hda MBR. Any suggestions?

As I recall you must keep your /boot not only under the first 1024
cylinders, but also on either hda or hdb due to limitations in BIOS... I
guess the easiest way to correct that is to do a reinstall. I am not
sure about this though, you'd better check out the LILO-HOWTO and
similiar docs.

Andreas Schyman

------------------------------

From: Ewan Dunbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mandrake/redhat: boot disk/rescue for maintenance
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:35:17 -0500

On 30 Mar 1999, Jason Rotunno wrote:

> filesystem or boot w/ the boot disk and then mount the filesystem on the
> floppy root disk.  from here you can run exfsck on the unmounted HD
> filesystems.  mandrake/redhat, though only has one boot/root disk.  I
> stuck that in and rebooted my machine.  When lilo came up i was told that
> i can type 'rescue' to use a rescue disk so i did.  it booted until it got
> to a point and asked
>
> VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ram diskk and press ENTER.
>
> Since i don't have a root disk i just hit enter w/ the same disk in it and
> got:

Since you don't have a root disk I would suggest going back in time and
figuring out how you installed without one. Or, just boot up the system
and login. You should be in single user mode. If not, login as root and
go down to single user mode. From there you can safely umount / and fsck
it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Rotunno)
Date: 30 Mar 1999 03:16:44 GMT

My x-windows froze (locked up all of linux - couldn't switch into another
console or use cntrl-alt-backspace, etc) so i was forced to turn my
machine off since i couldn't properly shut it down.  when i booted up i
got a message to run exfsck manually as there were problems on the drive.
i know you're not supposed to run this on a mounted filesystem so i'm
wondering how to do this w/ out mounting it.  in slackware you have a boot
and a root disk.  you can boot w/ the boot disk and then mount the HD
filesystem or boot w/ the boot disk and then mount the filesystem on the
floppy root disk.  from here you can run exfsck on the unmounted HD
filesystems.  mandrake/redhat, though only has one boot/root disk.  I
stuck that in and rebooted my machine.  When lilo came up i was told that
i can type 'rescue' to use a rescue disk so i did.  it booted until it got
to a point and asked

VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ram diskk and press ENTER.

Since i don't have a root disk i just hit enter w/ the same disk in it and
got:

RAMDESK: Ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 1440 blocks into ramdisk...done.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only.
Unable to open an initial console

and it freezes.  how do i go about booting my system w/ out mounting the
filesystems on the HD so i can perform maintenance on them?

thanks.

------------------------------

From: Alessandro Surace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI NETS between Linux-Amiga
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:04:12 +0200

Hi Guys...
>From a long time i have in my mind  this "strange" idea...I want to
connect My LinuX-pc-based and my Amiga2000...
in both computer I have SCSI-CTRL...so I want to know if somebody had
already make this kind of connectins or if you know a good way to
understand if this is possible or not, in via HD e SW.

Thank You ALL

Byee
 BYee
Ale

comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.misc,linux.rehat.install,alt.os.linux
From: Kevin Rego <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: startx monitor shutdown
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:28:48 GMT

Have you tried lowering the setting to well within the monitors limits???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:04:23 GMT

In article <OmgyIUve#[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> comes to mind - are also the most powerful. By contrast, some of
> the least usable software - vi comes to mind - is also the least
> powerful.

Hmm.. Why do you think so ?  I have used vi almost daily for a couple of
years now and I think its very very powerful for the sort of work I do.
Its not easy to learn and its not intuitive but when you start to really
learn how to use it, vi is damn fast and powerful.
And if you learn awk you can use awk scripts directly inside vi to do
things only dreamed of in most other editors and do it fast.

/JS

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Typing accented characters in Linux?
Date: 31 Mar 1999 11:23:13 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Anton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,

>For instance, I can get an e-acute by typing ALT-0233 in Windows or going
>thru character map if I don't know the code.
>
>How would I type this in Linux?
>
>Are the character sets specified globally in Linux, or is this part of the
>window manager config or current shell config?

The easy way is using the compose key and then type 'e
The default compose key is control-period, but of some unknown reason
the compose key will be disabled if you load the us keymap.  You
should also be able to use the ALT-number-number-number.

Typing in alt-233 gives you é and alt-234 gives you ê and so on.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Michel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.2 is very unstable
Date: 29 Mar 1999 21:47:08 -0600

root wrote:

> Apparently for me Linux 2.2.x is not as stable as everyone says.
>
> The first more minor problem I got, is that of the
> Video-for-Linux-drivers. With some application it works great, but with
> some others the whole system freezes. I should not really call this a
> problem though, since all programs warned me beforehand that the
> video4linux interface is still in development, and so someone who cannot
> afford a crashing system should simply not use these programs.
>
> But there is a more serious matter I have discovered. It is about kmail,
> as it is in the KDE 1.1 package. When I use the kernel 2.2.4 and I click
> on the "Spellchecking-Icon", my screen is getting plastered with nearly
> 19 error-messages telling something about "major wrong opcode" (or
> something similar). After that, the system continues to run, what I
> realize by watching the KDE-clock or by the screen-safer.
> Nethertheless, the keyboard is locked, I have no way of pressing
> <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Backspace>. The mouse moves but does not react to pressing
> any button. Switching on Numlock does not work either.
> I tried this in both the root-mode and the user-mode. It was the same.
>
> When I tried "Spellchecking" under Kernel 2.0.36 (SuSE 6.0 standart
> kernel), my screen got plastered with error-messages again, but this
> time it continued and continued. So I shut down the X-Server by
> <Alt>-<Ctrl>-<Backspace>. This time it worked. Kmail continued to run,
> taking up 90% of the CPU-time. I "kill -9"ed it, and it was gone.
>
> My problem is not that Kmail gives me these error-messages, I probably
> have not configured spellchecking right, my problem is that Linux should
> be able to cope with such an "gone-crazy-application" and it should shut
> it down by itself, or give me at least the possibility to do it myself
> as Kernel 2.0.36 did.
>
> Is there any way to reserve some CPU time, so that, for example, I
> always got 3% of the CPU left, to shut down any application.
>
> Some hints and comments would be appreciated.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Alexander Lehmann

It must be something to do with Suse because I run kernel 2.2.5 under RedHat 5.2
and it works nicely and fast except for the sound that isn't worth shit under
Kernel 2.2.5
The midi is too fast in the plugin of Netscape and trying to recompile the plugin
I get tons of error. Basically I got no midi in Netscape. The sound driver that works
for 20 minutes works right. At this time I'm not willing to pay $20 for some stupid
driver that should come with the sound card as it does for OS/2 or winblows.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst Simon)
Crossposted-To:
linux.samba,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.smb,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color II + Samba 2.0.3 (Redhat 5.9 Linux) = no print
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:19:20 GMT

I have exactly the same problem, after upgrading to Samba 2.0.3. It
worked perfect in Samba 1.9.18. My printer statement in the smb.conf
is:

[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/spool/samba
  browseable = no
  guest ok = no
  writeable = no
  printable = yes

Regards,
Horst Simon

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:17:18 -0800, "Loren Cook"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I can't remember how mine is setup exactly but I think the printer section
>format in smb.conf is more like:
>
>        [printers]
>                    path = /usr/spool/public
>                    writeable = no
>                    guest ok = yes
>                    printable = yes
>

>ICeeQueue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> Hello all...
>> I'm having difficulties printing to my Samba networked printer from my
>> Windows NT Workstation SP4.  The printer is physically connected to my
>> Linux box, and is /dev/lp0 and lpd is running and everything.  Below is my
>> SMB.CONF file that SWAT has created for me:

< cut>

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 05:09:25 -0500

> And if you learn awk you can use awk scripts directly inside vi
> to do things only dreamed of in most other editors and do it fast.

I think there's a temptation in Unix to try and take tools further
than anyone else's taken them. I know - I spent quite a while
developing sed scripts to do stuff that a C script could easily have
handled. I got quite a bit of perverse pleasure from defying the
limits of sed, but at the end of the day a shell script would have
been the way to go.

You're right - you can do things with vi that you can't with other
text editors. But couldn't you also do these things with ordinary
scripting?

However, at the end of the day, if you're happy with vi, that's all
that counts.

Harry

------------------------------

From: Adam Przybyla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need to find the 'no' program.
Date: 31 Mar 1999 10:02:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Jason Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to compile the gnome-core, but somwhere in the compile
> process it needs to use the 'no'  program with the -o option.  (i.e
> '/usr/bin/no -o )  My system has yes, which prints out a constant stream
> of yes. I assume that no does a simmilar function, so I tried to write a
> script:
        yes|sed 's/y/no/g' ;-)))
                                                                Adam Przybyla

------------------------------

From: Harald Fuchs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: am-utils (amd) & smbfs (smbmount)  -- automount frustation
Date: 31 Mar 1999 12:11:49 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Steve Levitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Trying to automount NT (host name=cc90014-a) folder g:\public (share
> name=public) on mountpoint /mnt/cc90014-a/public.

> Here's my latest stab at the auto.* files...

> [root@levits03 steve]# cat /etc/auto.master
> /mnt/cc90014-a/public   file /etc/auto.cc90014-a
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This should be "/mnt/cc90014-a".  auto.master contains only directory
names, not names of mountpoints.

> [root@levits03 steve]# cat /etc/auto.cc90014-a
> public -fstype=smbfs ://cc90014-a/g
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This should be "//cc90014-a/public".  smbmount needs the name of the
share, not on which disk it happens to reside.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst Simon)
Crossposted-To:
linux.samba,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.smb,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:26:10 GMT

Disregard my last message, I replied to the wrong post.

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dump command and HP DAT drive
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:02:43 -0600

Paul Phillips wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out the correct syntax for the sump command in
> conjunction with my HP C1533A DDS-2  DAT tape drive.
>
> I've looked of course at the man page and my Unix administration book
> (and the few docs I have on the tape drive as I bought it used).
>
> A command like:
> dump 0usdf 394 1600 /dev/nst0 /usr
>
> makes the system think it will need a whole bunch of DAT volumes for the
> dump.  Obviously I don't know the correct density for a DAT drive.
>
> I tried:
> dump 0Buf 8000000 /dev/nst0 /usr
> and it seems to work.
>
> Is that syntax OK?

That's about what I use. I believe what you have says that the tape has
8MB available at the time you start the dump. This, of course, can't
always be true. But, I don't think it matters since the drive is
probably capable of detecting end-of-tape. You could probably tell it
anything that is at least as big as (or bigger than) the actual tape
capacity.

Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the
inconvenience but the unsolicited email is getting out of control.

------------------------------

From: Azfar Kazmi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: procmailrc and .procmailrc
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:07:11 GMT

I have to make extensive use of procmailrc to filter mails for my users. Some
recipes remain same for all users while some are different for everyone.
Months back, I tested that if I put on a global recipe file /etc/procmailrc
then the local recipe files /home/user/.procmailrc don't work.

I know I might have made some mistakes when testing that out. During current
situation, I do not wish to test it again, as the recipes are critical and I
can't take risk for seconds.

Therefore, I seek your advise that should both /etc/procmailrc and
/home/user/.procmailrc work simultaneously or not? Which has precedence? It is
obviously stupid to change hundreds of recipes each time you have to make
changes. That is why I am looking 'badly' for a global one.

I appreciate any suggestion.

Azfar Kazmi