Linux-Misc Digest #668, Volume #20               Thu, 17 Jun 99 03:13:16 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux systems- Poor security (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: Xwindows question (Stewart Honsberger)
  Post compile tweaks........?? (Danie in Oregon)
  Re: searching for specific program (Jason Earl)
  Re: Which GUI? (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: first/second/third world (Matthew Kirkcaldie)
  Re: SUID programs: are they normal? (Mike Khalili)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Paul D. Smith)
  Re: first/second/third world (Richard Kulisz)
  Re: searching for specific program (William Park)
  Re: kernel panic:  No init found.  THANKS STAROFFICE! (James Youngman)
  Re: Filename for File descriptor (James Youngman)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Paul D. Smith)
  Re: Open Source (Chuck Toporek)
  Re: Linux systems- Poor security ("Bezalel Geretz")
  Re: Linux crashes under heavy loads (Ray)
  Ok...need help with Banshee XF86Config] (Don Whitlow)
  Re: Printing under Linux (Mark Redding)
  Re: ftp quickie (Lyndon Hills)
  Re: firewall login (Dustin Puryear)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: Linux systems- Poor security
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:48:36 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 02:55:49 GMT, fuctifino wrote:

>demand fairness, demand a ban on using ms operating systems next time
>there is an incident with an ms machine

HAH! If it were THAT easy, every MS machine on the planet would be at
the bottom of the Pacific!

Actually, to be fair, if that were true, there wouldn't exist computers.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: Xwindows question
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:54 GMT

On 17 Jun 1999 03:44:23 GMT, John Hong wrote:

>       I know that in order to switch to another terminal while already
>in Xwindows is <CTRL><ALT><Fx>.  Thing is, what if you want to switch
>back to that Xwindows session?  Whenever I use <CTRL><ALT><Fx> to go
>back, all I get is a black screen with text.  Is there a way to go back
>to the graphical Xwindows session?

Alt-F7 usually works for me.

From: Danie in Oregon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Post compile tweaks........??
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:58:21 -0700

I put the 2.2.9 source tree in....and took out 2.2.5-15

I recompiled the kernel to bzImage and placed that in my Dos
linux(loadlin dir).

I copied the new system map from /usr/src/linux to /boot.

I removed the /lib/modules/2.2.5-15

What exactly else do I need to do the make it complete....there are
still some residual traces of
2.2.5-15 left in /boot....

    System.map-2.2.5-15
    boot.b
    chain.b
    @module-info
    module-info-2.2.5-15
    Os2.db
    *vmlinux-2.2.5.15
    @vmlinuz
      vmlinuz-2.2.5-15

Where can I find the module-info for 2.2.9?

can I just cp my vmlinux file from /usr/src/linux to /boot/vmlinux-2.2.9

then symlink it to vmlinuz?

Should I copy the bzImage file to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9.......and link it
to vmlinuz?

Any help would be appreciated...

And just what IS THE KOSHER way

to do a compile on a VIRGIN source tree...

I asked three different people got three completely different answers...

The first said...
    do make mrproper, then make menuconfig, then make dep, then make
bzimage, then make modules
        then make modules_install.

The second said
        DONT do make mrproper......just make menuconfig, then make dep,
then make CLEAN,
        then make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install.

The third said
    It doesn't matter if you do a make mrproper or make clean on a
virgin source tree...

    He said to make menuconfig, make dep,make bzImage............then he

said to reboot with the NEW
    kernel............THEN to make modules then make
modules_install....he also said no need to make clean.

I have three different books...on linux.........

    Mark Sobell        A Practical Guide to Linux

    Mat Welsh and Lar Kaufman    Running Linux

    and

    Mat Welsh    linux Installation and Getting Started....

They also were different...

The docs from Redhat 5.2 are different from RH6.0...on the kernel
build...RH6.0...says nothing about
    make clean.

Just need to know these things folks...

Thanks for the time.....

Danie (in Oregon)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Earl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: searching for specific program
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:59:48 GMT

On 17 Jun 1999 04:18:35 GMT, William Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy jedi wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:37:55 GMT, A Dark Elf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm looking for a program that could take a MySQL database and create charts,
>>>graphs, and spreadsheets out of them.. anyone knows of such a program?
>
>>      Try php.
>
>Better to "roll" your own, using Python perhaps.

If the UnixODBC people have a MySQL driver you might want to take a look at
StarOffice.  I know that there is a beta driver that works with PostgreSQL.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: Which GUI?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:25:32 GMT

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:20:49 GMT, Stewart Honsberger
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>On 12 Jun 1999 07:28:09 -0400, Steffan O'Sullivan wrote:
>>There seem to be a plethora of GUI available for linux.
>
>AFAIK, there's only one real "GUI" (XFree86), but several Window Managers.
>
>Semantics, I know, but I'm annoying that way :>

If you want to be semantically correct, then the answer is "none of the
above."

XFree86 represents a mere graphical substrate on top of which one may
implement a variety of graphical user interfaces.

Those interfaces are usually represented by libraries that provide access
to appropriate "widget sets," and include such luminaries as:
 - Xt
 - Motif
 - Tk
 - Qt
 - GTK
 - FLTK
just to name a few of the more commonly-used GUI libraries.

A window manager provides a part of the GUI, as the manager of windows and
the "desktop" (at least, loosely speaking).  Different window managers use
different widget sets, and there are a variety of interfaces that they
provide.

But strictly speaking, what GUI is in use depends on the tuple that combines
your selection of application and window manager...

>>Which are the most stable?
>>Which are the least stable?
>>Of the stable ones, which are the fastest?
>>Which are the slowest?
>
>I can't quite answer all of your questions, but I'll try from my (somewhat)
>limited knowledge.
>
>I've run the following window managers, and below each are my comments;
>
>KDE:
>Feature packed, Win'95-esque.
>Massive!
>Slow! (P166 w/ 64 megs of RAM, and I can see dialog boxes opening?!)
>Unstable (First app to ever, *EVER* force me to hit the reset button!)
>
>I no longer use KDE. I've only got it installed because I can play the games
>under other W.M.'s :>

... And while, due to extensive use of Qt, KDE is one of the closer
candidates for representing a GUI, it is neither a GUI nor a window
manager.  (kwm is a window manager, but is merely an *OPTIONAL
COMPONENT.*)

>IceWM:
>Simple. Win'95-ish in that it has a start meny/task bar.
>Pretty small.
>Faster'n greased lightening. The simplicity of it helps immensly.
>Stable. I don't recall it ever crashing on me.
>
>I use IceWM whenever I log in as root and need the GUI. With no background,
>I can be in and out in seconds.

Seems to be a pretty nice WM, fairly frugal with resources...

>Window Maker:
>Midway between IceWM and KDE in features. Linux-esque (No start bar!!!)
>Not as small as IceWM, but not even as large as KDE's BASE backage.
>Quite stable. I've never had it crap out on me, but it seems a little
>  fussy about changing libraries it uses.
>
>I use this as my primary W.M.

Me too.

>Other window managers I've seen are;
>Afterstep, AmiWM, asbutton, BlackBox, Bptb, Coolicons, DFM, Emacspeak,
>Enlightenment, flwm, FVWM, FVWM2, Fvwm2gnome, FVWM95, GXDesktop, Mgs,
>mlvwm, QVWM, SCWM, tkworld, UDE, wm2, wmx, Wsio, XFce.

That's about as complete a list as I've lately seen.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Kirkcaldie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: first/second/third world
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:31:33 GMT

In article <7k9rit$rod$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz) wrote:
>Shamsuddin, Amir (EXCHANGE:MDN05:7E24) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>First / Second / Third world refer to the order in which they developed modern
>>technology and associated cultures. Obviously this is insulting, but I didn't
>>make it up.
>
>Well, that's nonsense since then the USA would be 2nd World.

It is.  The division as I understand it is Old World (European
civilisations) / New World (Americas) / Third World.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Khalili)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: SUID programs: are they normal?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 04:36:57 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:54:20 GMT, Juergen Heinzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Khalili wrote:
>>
>>Things that need read-only privledge to the shadow file should *NOT* be
>>setuid().  That's too much privledge.  Create a groups shadow.  chgrp to
>>group shadow on the shadow file.  set the perms to 640.  Then make all the
>>apps that need read permission to the shadow file sgid shadow.  This means
>>if something's wrong, the worst that can happen is someone gets to read (but
>>not write to) your shadow file, rather than having them have write access to
>>the shadow file as well as having all root perms.
>
>chage cannot write lest root runs it, so it does not matter here, others
>though like passwd require write access even for normal users, so either
>you make shadow 0660 (nothing gained if something goes wrong) or you leave
>passwd (eg) suid root.

But you assume that neither it nor any of the libraries it links against
have buffer overflows or other security holes.  You are trusting the
application to not screw up and allow what it shouldn't.  I hate trusting
apps to do that.

>>The best way to implement this I think is to create a term daemon.  The term
>>daemon runs as root.  The only thing it does is allocate ttys to the
>>terminals.  The term (xterm, rxvt) ect. should use ipc to tell the daemon
>>"Hey I could use a terminal", and if one is available the term daemon could
>
>Just what pt_chown does, so xterm does not need to be suid root if the
>grantpt() is used and if not, no additional process that eats up memory.

Yes, it is a better way to handle it (I should look into this, where is
source available, and does xterm, or rxvt need to be patched), but you are
still allowing a user to change uids as opposed to simply requesting a tty
from a tty broker.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul D. Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 17 Jun 1999 01:20:20 -0400

%% "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  cm> Paul D. Smith wrote in message ...
> [...]

  cm> Couldn't be worse that Netscape.

  >> Hah hah hah!  You _obviously_ have never tried it.  I have.  Trust me,
  >> no matter how bad you think Netscape is, IE for Solaris is much, much
  >> worse.

  cm> Correct, I was drawing a logical conclusion from my bad
  cm> experiences with Netscape on every platform.

No logical conclusion can be drawn when extrapolating from a sample base
of 1 (the number of platforms you've used IE on).

  >> IMO, Netscape on UNIX isn't too bad.  It's big and kinda slow, and
  >> until very recently would die on me much more than I expect from a
  >> UNIX tool, but since I started using Navigator 4.08 it's been
  >> pretty stable.  (I tried 4.5 for a while, but the bookmark
  >> drag-n-drop is busted so I went back to 4.08).

  cm> I don't know about that, I've got a Dell OptiPlex 250 sitting next
  cm> to a Sparc Ultra 10, and Netscape on the Ultra doesnt load as fast
  cm> as IE on 98.

(a) That's the advantage of having the browser embedded in the OS ;)

(b) I didn't say anything about startup speed, or compare speeds at all:
    in fact I said Netscape is "kinda slow".  I said it "isn't too bad",
    and "it's been pretty stable".

(c) Who cares about startup speed?  I start the thing when I login, and
    it just stays up for weeks until I logout again.

    Oh yah, you're coming from a Windows environment, where startup
    speed matters much more ;).

Actually, Netscape is more stable on my Win98 box than IE 4.  Maybe I
have an old or buggy version of IE, but my wife brings down Win98, hard,
regularly while using IE (maybe that's the _disadvantage_ of having the
browser in the OS?).

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Network Management Development

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 17 Jun 1999 03:55:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

From: William Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 17 Jun 1999 04:18:35 GMT

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel panic:  No init found.  THANKS STAROFFICE!
Date: 15 Jun 1999 22:02:28 +0100

The Damons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Update:  I can now boot from a rescue disk, and I can then mount my linux
> hard disk, and I can see all the files.  When I go to /sbin, I can see a
> file named init that is 24580 bytes in length.

[james@periwinkle james]$ ls -l /sbin/init
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        24580 Apr 17 16:29 /sbin/init
[james@periwinkle james]$ md5sum /sbin/init
be7bf95e59e2b8a058babec027936f31  /sbin/init
[james@periwinkle james]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
[james@periwinkle james]$

Check your md5sum output against mine.

The probability is that something has just crunched your shared
libraries.  Init requires some of these in order to work:-

[james@periwinkle james]$ ldd /sbin/init
        libutil.so.1 => /lib/libutil.so.1 (0x4001a000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4001d000)

> I guess my question now is how can I get linux to recreate an init program
> that (1) it can see and (2) will work when I have this glibc mess that the
> Staroffice install created?

I suspect that SO has messed with the above files, which are actually
symbolic links pointing to real libraries.  Check that you get the
same result for this:-

[james@periwinkle james]$ ls -l /lib/libc.so.6 /lib/libutil.so.1 /lib/ld-linux.so.2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root 11 Apr 15 00:11 /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -> ld-2.1.1.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root 13 Apr 15 00:11 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.1.1.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root 16 Apr 15 00:11 /lib/libutil.so.1 -> libutil-2.1.1.so

> Could I use the Redhat 6.0 install disk to reinstall only these libraries
> that are hosed now?

If my supposition is correct, you can just reinstate the symbolic
links using the static version of "ln", which is "/sbin/sln".  If I'm
wrong, it is still possible to fix things armed with only the rescue
disk and the CD-ROM.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+actually

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.misc,comp.os.linux.developement.system,de.comp.os.misc,de.comp.os.unix.programming,de.comp.os.unix.misc
Subject: Re: Filename for File descriptor
Date: 15 Jun 1999 22:07:58 +0100

Andreas Birkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi *,
>
> I have a file descriptor in C (declared like FILE *fd) and want to know
> the filename for this fd.
> Does anybody know how to do that ?

Extremely non-portable, not tested, and only works on certain versions
of the Linux kernel:-

int file_to_name(FILE *fp, char *buf, size_t siz)
{
  int fd = fileno(fp);
  int ret = -1;
  if (fd >= 0)
  {
    char procbuf[32];
    sprintf(procbuf, "/proc/self/fd/%d", fd);
    ret = readlink(procbuf, buf, siz);
  }
  return ret;
}

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul D. Smith)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 17 Jun 1999 01:22:44 -0400

%% [EMAIL PROTECTED] (I R A Aggie) writes:

  + I only do because, even without all that crap, it's _still_ much bigger
  + than Netscape Communicator.

  iraa> Surely you jest?

Nope.  Well, Communicator 4.0x, whatever was out last summer.

  + The mind boggles.

  iraa> Indeed. Hmmm...incompetent programmers or staticly-linked
  iraa> libraries or both?

Probably both... plus maybe some kind of emulation library for their
Windows code so they didn't have to write a native X version?  Dunno.
Don't wanna know.  Deleted it.

 Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Network Management Development

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chuck Toporek)
Subject: Re: Open Source
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:48:02 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Lavy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|> I am trying to understand Open Source Licensing a little better.  I have a
|> client who would like to use Linux as a core operating system for
|> development of a new product, but is shying away because they feel that they
|> might get roped into giving away their source.  In my gut I don't feel that
|> this could possibly be true, but I don't have any way to prove it to them.
|> I mean Oracle, Sybase and a hundred other closed source companies are
|> compiling against Linux.  Where is the boundary between being closed source
|> and being obligated to opening your software?  Can one use open source
|> libraries and compile into a closed source package?  Is your software
|> obligated to be open source just by compiling it against an open source
|> compiler?
|>
|> Is there a site somewhere that clearly lays out the guidelines in a way that
|> a non-lawyer can understand and use as binding proof to a business?
|>
|> Thanks in advance,
|> Chad

Check out O'Reilly & Associates' Web site (http://www.oreilly.com/) for
information on Open Source. I know they're working on a book about Open
Source licensing -- this would certainly help.

Chuck

--
Chuck Toporek & Kellie Robinson
Santa Rosa, California

From: "Bezalel Geretz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 02:30:39 -0400

Just wondering how do you secure a file in UNIX so the administrator cannot
read it?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: Linux crashes under heavy loads
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:51:10 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:00:35 GMT, David Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is the processor overclocked?  This is a common problem if that is the
>case.  Also, you could have some bad RAM or the CPU isn't jumpered
>correctly (Maybe an Intel jumpered as a Cyrix, for example) maybe the cache
>module is bad.  Perhaps you need to tweak some settings in your BIOS setup.
> Sounds like a hardware issue, one way or another.

Or maybe a bad cpu fan.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: Don Whitlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ok...need help with Banshee XF86Config]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:21:35 +0100

======_=_NextPart_000_01BEB878.101AE75C

Does anyone have a working XF86Config file they can share with me for a
Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee card? I downloaded the updated SVGA server
and XF86Setup file, but can't seem to get any resolutions better than
640x480x8bpp. I'd like to run 1024x768 x at least 15 or 16bpp.

Anyone got this working? If so, can you email me a copy of your
XF86Config file? Would be much appreciated, and save me a lot of hair.

Thanks,
Don

======_=_NextPart_000_01BEB878.101AE75C

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.x

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:41:30 +0100
From: Mark Redding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printing under Linux

Do you have support for parallel printing in your kernel ?
Have you looked at ghostscript, which may very well provide a "driver" for
the printer ?

Mark.

From: Lyndon Hills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ftp quickie
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:21:25 +0100

Andrew Hughes wrote:

> I have an ftp site using wu.ftpd (standard ftp deamon which is shipped
> with redhat) and would like to know how to allow users to access only
> their home directory (i.e. their home dirctory on the box is their root
> directory) when they ftp to the box.
> Andy

Andy,

This line is from the linux security guide. This is what would go in the
passwd file.

billybob:x:500:500:Billy Bob:/home/billybob/./:
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(NB I haven't tested this!)
This guide is available at www.seifried.org/lasg. It is recent (April
99) and is a general guide/discussion, and then a series of sections
devoted to each service you might want to run, including ftp. (The
download is acrobat format).

HTH
Lyndon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: firewall login
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:09:35 -0500

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:22:44 +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>David Means wrote:
>>
>> Jeremy Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > I am trying to figure out how to login to the firewall and then and only
>> > then allow access to other computers and services on the network.  I
>> > also want this to occure when a person tries to login using telnet and
>> > ftp.  With telnet and ftp I want to be able to conferm access to the
>> > network before the usual telnet and ftp login occures.
>> >
>> > Is there any program, freeware, or setup in either Redhat 6.0 or Socks5
>> > that are able to do this.
>>
>>   The most direct way to do this is to establish accounts on the firewall
>> machine (or you can use NIS to keep the actual data somewhere else),
>> and allow telnet and ftp only to that machine, not through it.  This will
>> insure that any session that originates outside your firewall is validated
>> before it is given access to any internal stuff. However, this can be fairly
>> awkward for your users, depending on what services they want to gain
>> access to on your internal network, so you should work through the
>> scenarios with some of them before following this course.
>
>Something as insecure as NIS from a firewall to an internal net? Don't.
>Ever.
>For any reason you might think of. Even FTP from firewall to internal
>should
>be disallowed!

While on the issue of security with a firewall, I have one of our branch
offices connecting via ppp to the same machine that serves as our internet
gateway/firewall. Thus, I set the branch office's network as a trusted
network. Does this give an outside attacker a chance to spoof our network
with an address from the remote network?

Since I have to allow packets from that network I can't really filter
them out. Also, since both internet and the remote network is connected
via ppp it is difficult to filter based on network device. Something I
need to really worry about?

--
Dustin Puryear