Linux-Misc Digest #668, Volume #21                Sat, 4 Sep 99 12:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Laptop X config (Adrian Hands)
  D-Link DFE 530TX (Raghu)
  PPP Speed problem (ORRIN)
  Re: POP3 and SMTP for Sendmail/Linux (Peter Marbaise)
  Re: bash question (Adrian Hands)
  Re: test (Gergo Barany)
  Re: Timezone problem (Villy Kruse)
  Re: HDD losing data? (Adrian Hands)
  Re: C vs C++ for Open Source projects (Harvey Taylor)
  Re: Optimal Linux RAID Support? Questions. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PDFs for Linux (Danie Roux)
  Re: any RAMDISK programs out there? (Carl Fink)
  Re: Star Office 5.1: Is it just me ... (Carl Fink)
  Re: Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI? (Robin Becker)
  Re: Alternative to cdparanoia? (CJ)
  3-d plotting (Mark Hovey)
  Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution (Thomas Tavoly)
  mp3 playback speed problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Bash not running executables (Scott Prince)
  Re: Notepad for Linux? (Scott Prince)
  Re: WordPerfect 8 Printer Drivers (Paul Seelig)
  Re: D-Link DFE 530TX (Martin Drescher)

From: Adrian Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.dev.laptop,linux.dev.x11,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Laptop X config
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 08:44:23 -0400

Marko wrote:

> I've got  a Dell latitude CPi 400 with NeoMagic 2160 (128 bit) 2Mb video
> memory card.
>
> I've just installed RedHat 6.0 on to it with XFree86 v 3.3.3.1 and I can
> not get it to work.
>
> I've tried so many things that  I'm not going to list them all. PS I can
> get it to work in 640 X 480.
>
> Please... if some one has successfully resolved this please please let
> me know what to do.
>
> comp.os.

Make sure your color depth (bpp) isn't too high.
I think you should expect to get at most 16bpp with only 2MB video RAM
and higher resolutions.
I'd try to get it going at 8bpp (256 colors) first, and then up the bpp
after it's working.

Since you're using a laptop, you're using an LCD screen and you don't
have to worry about damaging the screen with an excessive sync rate, so
MAX it out!
In your /etc/X11/XF86Config file set the "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh"
to really wide ranges, something like 20 - 200 for both.

Check your xserver logs.  xservers are pretty verbose and will tell you
a lot about what they're doing - which modes they're rejecting and why.
What they've detected, what's been overridden in the config file, etc...
What chipset is it detecting?  is it right for your board ?
I think the XF86_SVGA will, if it doesn't recognize your chipset, give
you 320x??? mode only.
Newer chipsets like S3Trio3D and whatever it is that's on the Voodoo3
board need XF86 3.3.4 (which you have to download from www.xfree86.org,
NOT on the redhat mirrors last time I checked.)

------------------------------

From: Raghu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general
Subject: D-Link DFE 530TX
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:31:07 GMT

Hi !

I have loaded RedHat Linux 6.0 on a PC.
Now I want to configure D-Link DFE 530TX network card.

I have no idea how to do it ,
Can anyone help me out ???

Thanks.

Raghu.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: ORRIN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Speed problem
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 09:29:30 -0400

Hello all,

After more than a month of tearing out what little hair I've got, I
finally managed to get pppd to negociate a session with my ISP. When I
reduced the connection speed to 19200 bps, everything worked!

Now the question is:  Why can't SuSE 6.1 Linux running on a 333 Mhz
box keep up with a 33600 bps modem?  Why should I have to slow down
the connection to make it work?

The exact same hardware is used to make reliable, no hassle, 33600 bps
connections in two different DOS applications and with Trumpet in
Windows-for-Workgroups.

Is there some settings in Linux that can be adjusted? ...or is it that
Linux is not ready for 'Prime Time'.

=============================
Orrin - Long Island, New York
Orrin's Caribbean Index - http://www.orrin.org/carib/
Syosset Camera Club - http://www.orrin.org/syocc/
HS Class Reunion - http://www.orrin.org/wphs/
Our e-mail address is at  http://www.orrin.org/email.html

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:07:32 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Marbaise)
Subject: Re: POP3 and SMTP for Sendmail/Linux

Hallo Aaron!

 AS> I recently configured a zone on my box for the purpose of
 AS> testing email.

 AS> I setup sendmail and the DNS correctly(I think) and can send and
 AS> receive

 AS> mail locally.  Whenever I go off site (for example: checking
 AS> mail with

 AS> yahoo) I cannot POP the mail for some reason.  I haven't been
 AS> able to test
did you install fetchmail for getting mails from your pop3 account ?

ciao Peter

--
eMail   : [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FidoNet : 2:2452/110.20

------------------------------

From: Adrian Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash question
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 08:33:56 -0400

Yan Seiner wrote:

> I have a script that does arith. eavaluation:
>
> if $[ $SIZE <= 12 ]; then PAPERSIZE=archA
>
> This works fine, except that bash attempts to execute the result:
>
> ./ps2pcl: 1: command not found
>
> How should I rewrte this to get rid of this annoying message?
>
> TIA,
>
> Yan

No dollar $ign befoe the square bracket.

if [ "$SIZE" -le 12 ]; then PAPERSIZE=archA; fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gergo Barany)
Subject: Re: test
Date: 4 Sep 1999 12:23:51 GMT

Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>test

Didn't work, your article landed in comp.os.linux.misc, not alt.test
where you wanted it to go.

Gergo

--
Q:      Why was Stonehenge abandoned?
A:      It wasn't IBM compatible.

GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Timezone problem
Date: 4 Sep 1999 14:38:29 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've had post a message before but I didn't make my question clear,
>so I'm posting again to see if someone can help me.
>
>I have a RH6.0 instalation and I set the timezone to GMT-3 that is
>our timezone here in Brazil. I set too the BIOS clock to the GMT-3
>time, but everytime I boot my machine on Linux, a get my time wrong
>(3 hours before). But once I run "clock -s" or "hwclock --hctosys"
>I got the right time.

No.  It all depend on how you configured the clock.

On redhat this is set up using the timeconfig program.  First select
if your RTC clock should run UTC time, and then select the proper time
zone: 'America/something'.  If you multiboot with mswin select NOT to
run RTC in GMT ot UTC time, otherwise it is better to run RTC on UTC
time.  In any case after your clock is set properly run 'setclock'
and your RTC clock will be running the proper time, which will set your
system clock correctly at the next reboot.

--
Villy

------------------------------

From: Adrian Hands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HDD losing data?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 08:50:38 -0400

> Currently we're having a problem with data loss on our main webserver
> which is a Linux machine running apache 1.3.9 and kernel 2.2.9 (Linux
> /mandrake 6.0).
>
> It installed OK and all the files were set up OK. We had to power down
> the machine to move it and when rebooted all the files we in place. We
> started copying files over to the webserver and this all worked fine and
> we didn't have to reboot at all until we had to move it and when we went
> to restart the machine all the files were lost that we had added since
> last reboot.
>
> It looks like the machine was caching the files to memory and not
> writing to the disk, so that when rebooting the files were lost. This is

No.
It doesn't do that.

> a worrying problem and I don't know if this is likely to be a kernel
> problem or a hardware problem or a problem with something distributed
> with Mandrake.

Lost with no error messages reported ?
I'd suspect first that they were copied to some drive that now is not
getting mounted.
If that happens, you see an empty directory where the disk is supposed
to mount.
Make sure all your drivers are mounted.
$ mount
will give you a list of mounted filesystems.

Assuming that's not the problem...
Was it shutdown improperly and then had to clean on the next boot ?
If so, some files or directories may be found in the lost+found
directory.
If you're missing a bunch of files, most likely the whole directory got
unlinked and you'll find it in lost+found.
The name will be changed to the inode number.
Each filesystem has it's own lost+found.

If you accidentally deleted them though, they're gone.

------------------------------

From: Harvey Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: C vs C++ for Open Source projects
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 07:46:26 -0700

Matthew Cline wrote:

> What are the disadvantages of using C++, instead of C, for an Open
> Source project.
>[...]
> Are there any other problems?

        Language religion.

<glum>
-het

--
"There are beings in the universe billions of years older
than us and we have as much chance of communicating with them

        Harvey Taylor         Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Optimal Linux RAID Support? Questions.
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 13:36:01 GMT

In article <7qlbqg$2qc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Well I would rather use Linux for our fileserver than Netware or
NT.
>  From what I have read it seems that there are somewhat reliable RAID
> drivers for Linux (in 2.2.x at least), reliable enough that many
people
> seem to be using them and various distributions such as Red Hat
> advertise it as one of its key features.  But if software RAID support
> is not as stable as you seem to be implying then thats something Linux
> needs if its going to be considered a legitimate player in the
> fileserver arena.

It seems the RAID code was pulled from the released 2.2.12 code,
if I understand what was being discussed on the RAID mailing list.
On the one hand some folks say "it's been stable for a long time"
yet it appears Linus wasn't happy enough with the patches being in
the kernel so they were pulled.  Not scheduled to re-appear until
a future 2.3.x flavor.  Some one please jump in here if this isn't
exactly right!

>    Anyway the 250gb RAID I mentioned was just the scratch/temporary
> filesystem, no backups will be kept of that one and if it fails i'll
> just rebuild it, no problem really.  It will be a RAID0, just
striping.

That seems fine, then.  There's a patch set for 2.2.11 that someone
contributed based upon the 2.2.9 patches; that's probably the best
one to go with although you might be able to use the last 2.2.12preX
patches instead.  Should be basically the same functionality, I
think, but you may find the 2.2.12preX easier to find.  (the "X"
means I don't remember how far the 2.2.12pre patches went).

That said, I might suggest looking into using one of the IDE
controllers from say, Promise.  Their Ulta33 doesn't provide
any RAID functionality, but does give equal treatment to the
four drives connected to its cables.  Their FastTrak card does
the RAID onboard, but I think only level 0/1.  Perhaps another
drive plus the RAID kernel code could provide RAID 5 functions
on top of this?  So many possible combos to choose from...

My test setup with two 13Gb drives on an Ultra33 controller
has worked okay so far, but not a 24/7 arrangement so not a
good data point for you.

>    The RAID that needs backups is the main file server, ~50gb, and
I'll
> be using RAID5 for that one and I will be keeping backups with
multiple
> tapes on my DDS3 drive just in case of multiple disk failures.

Good call!  ;-)

> > As a note, there is a mail archive for linux kernel RAID that's
> > worth looking into:
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-raid%40vger.rutgers.edu/
>
>    Thanks for the info, i'll post a message there.

That's just the archive, mostly for development I think.  You ought
to be able to find the list address and subscribe, but it's a good
way to see how RAID development is going anyway.

Good luck,

- Leo

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Danie Roux)
Subject: Re: PDFs for Linux
Date: 4 Sep 1999 12:39:50 GMT

On Thu, 02 Sep 1999 19:44:09 GMT, Pas Moi wrote:
>can make them with the utilities included in the pdflatex package.

If you do plan to use pdflatex, and you don't want to mess around with latex,
check out lyx (www.lyx.org). It is an excellent word processor that uses latex.
You can export your .lyx files as .tex and then run pdflatex on it.

--
Danie Roux

  "Don't talk to me,
   my reality check just bounced."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: any RAMDISK programs out there?
Date: 4 Sep 1999 04:24:21 GMT

On Fri, 03 Sep 1999 23:15:46 GMT [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Besides, the issue is not performance. I wouldn't mind even if I lost
>some. I need a system that can run for a long time without HD access.

If your system is reading the same files . . . they'll be cached
anyway, so your RAM disk won't matter.  If you're referring to a
system with APM, the hard disk will be powered down automatically
once the repeatedly-used files are in cache.  The exception would be
if you regularly *write* to disk, I guess.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Star Office 5.1: Is it just me ...
Date: 4 Sep 1999 04:27:49 GMT

On 03 Sep 1999 23:46:51 GMT Rluby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>i.e. It starts under Xwindows.  However-
>It seems to want web access to do anything, and HELP DOESNT WORK!
>
>If SUN thinks that they add value to a product by removing Help from product
>that is supposed to be delivered by download -
>they are mistaken.

The version I downloaded from StarDivision had help and didn't need Internet
access to work.  Are you sure you downloaded the right file?  (Not an
insult, I'm wondering if Sun screwed up their shiny new web pages.)

The one from SD was so501_01.tar.

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 13:25:33 +0100

In article <7qr240$eau$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter T. Breuer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Ocyrus ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: Why do you dislike RH 6 ? Seems very easy to use and install. I have never
>
>Huh! Seems. As an experienced sysadmin for many years, with dozens of
>installs of all major distros in every version, I can say that I have
>an abiding loathing of RH. Stupid idiotic bugs in their installs, and
>later, and obscurantist setups that you can't easily modify.  Not to
>mention a binary database.  I wouldn't allow it within 10ft of me (I
>think that was feet, not fathoms, but it's all the same :-) ...
my opinion too. I made the mistake. All inquiries reach the we don't
deal with that stage etc etc RH==MS sooner than we thought.

--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: CJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Alternative to cdparanoia?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 08:59:30 -0500

me wrote:

> hi
>
> i'm looking for an alternative to cdparanoia for ripping audio CD's.
> i have a 24x drive and cdparanoia only seems to rip CD's at 1x or 2x.
>
> anything fast will do
>
> anyone know of anything?
> ali ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Give cdda2wav a try. Should be on any self respecting Linux site.

------------------------------

From: Mark Hovey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3-d plotting
Date: 04 Sep 1999 10:45:57 -0400

Does anybody know a program running under Linux/X that will plot a
function of two variables f(x,y) and also print it out nicely, perhaps
as postscript?  I have tried grapher-3d, but that doesn't print, and
xplot, but xplot won't compile on my machine (RH6.0)--the compile fails
with multiple errors.

Probably it would be best to send replies directly to me.
            Thanks,
              Mark Hovey

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.amiga.misc,comp.os.qnx
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Tavoly)
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 99 16:28:52 MET

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Froilan P Montenegro
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> comp.sys.amiga.misc: 3-Sep-99 Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and R.. by John
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > QNX does a number of things right that Linux does flat wrong (true
> > _uncrashable_ (almost) micro kernel, real time performance etc)
>
>   Actually, take a look (if you haven't already) at the Ballista project
> at Carnegie Mellon
> ('http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/edrc-ballista/www/') in which QNX
> was found to be the least robust amongst several major POSIX compliant
> OS's (including Linux).  An interesting response by QNX is also posted
> there.

No, they ask a specific question and give an answer to that, period.
Unfortunately they then stick a heading of 'robustness' on top and QED
underneath. An excellent item to base some FUD on, IMHO. The results may be
correct for the question, but the following generalizations may not.
Remember, the answer is 42..

      _ . Thomas Tavoly
 . _ // . [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 . \X/    http://www.cistron.nl/~ttavoly
 ...  5.1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mp3 playback speed problems
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 14:42:08 GMT

after a current reboot of my redhat 6 system i
experienced some strange problems: ican't play mp3
files anymore.
they are all played back in something like
doublespeed and sound like  mikey mouse or
something.

i reinstalled xmms, recompiled the newest mpg123
package - doens't change anything. but before the
reboot it was working fine!

i don't know what i changed befor the reboot -
hey, it's linux, i don't reboot very often ;-)

did anyone have the same problem? do you have an
idea what i could try to make it work again?

tnx

-flo

From: Scott Prince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bash not running executables
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 10:47:01 -0500

Adrian Hands wrote:
> Scott Prince wrote:
> > From the man pages... Bash looks for a command first, if not there it
> > assumes that it's an executable and executes if the file has the
> > permissions and exists in the path, and finally matches on the slashes
> > and checks the file to see if it is executable.
> >
> > For some reason I can no longer cd to a directory and just type the
> > filename and have it execute. I have to do something like...
> >
> > 'perl /dir/script.pl'
>
> Let me see if I understand:
> What you WANT to type is:
>
> $ script.pl
>
> What you HAVE TO type is:
>
> $ perl /dir/script.pl
>
> If this is the case, what you need to do is check the FIRST line of you
> your perl script.
> It needs to be:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> Of course, first check to make sure /usr/bin/perl exists.  Maybe it's
> /usr/local/bin/perl or /bin/perl on your system ?
> It HAS TO be the first line of the script.
>
> Also, make sure you didn't forget to:
>
> $ chmod a+x script.pl

Thanks for the response. As I sent this out I realized that I should
have noted that yes, the offending scripts are chmod 777 and
#!/usr/bin/perl is always the first line of my perl scripts. I write CGI
scripts for a living so my test server even has symbolic links for perl
in all the usual places, /usr/bin/perl, /usr/local/bin/perl, including
links to emulate cgi wrappers with restricted accounts. This has always
worked quite well. But my problem is that the shell is not acting the
way it has in the past and I'm at a loss to explain why.

This sometimes occurs when logged in as root, in the dir with the
script, the script is rwxrwxrwx, *and I type:

perl /the/full/path

Mostly this is a problem when using a root window in x. Anything else I
could check for?

Thanks,
Scott

------------------------------

From: Scott Prince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Notepad for Linux?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 11:02:45 -0500

Andrew Purugganan wrote:
> Is there a Notepad-like tool for Linux? Please don't give me somthing
> that needs GNOME/KDE Thanks Please reply by e-mail

It doesn't get much simpler than pico.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Seelig)
Subject: Re: WordPerfect 8 Printer Drivers
Date: 4 Sep 99 14:43:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (BJW7TOAEM) writes:

> I have the Downloaded Personal Edition of WordPerfect 8, I can not find my
> printer in the list of printer drivers that it gives me I have a BJC-600e.

This can actually be considered an FAQ.  Here's the answer: If you
have already configured printing using GhostScript via magicfilter or
apsfilter you'd be better off to use the generic "Passthru PostScript
Driver" of WP8.  This simply passes the PostScript code it generates
to the usual printing routine of your Linux system.  On *nix systems
there is mostly no need to reinvent the wheel.  Works perfectly here
and at work.
                               Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----------
   ------------------- http://ntama.uni-mainz.de --------------------

------------------------------

From: Martin Drescher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: D-Link DFE 530TX
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:08:25 +0200

Raghu wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have loaded RedHat Linux 6.0 on a PC.
> Now I want to configure D-Link DFE 530TX network card.
>
> I have no idea how to do it ,
> Can anyone help me out ???
>
> Thanks.
>
> Raghu.