From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Student)
Subject: Re: R/3 for Linux
Date: 4 Mar 1999 10:20:10 GMT

Edelgard Eberlein ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) tried to convey the following message:

: Hello,

: did you read, that SAP R/3 now is available for Linux? What's your
: opinion about this subject? Please write it down in our forum "Linux für
: R/3":

:
:http://www.sapmag.de/cgi-bin/FORUM/Ultimate.cgi/action=intro/BypassCookie=true/sap_t_ressort=talk/sap_t_rubrik=21

Well, at my work I have to work with R/3 on NT. SAP is extremely stable, but
NT is not. So I cheer at the idea of an even more stable system with SAP.

OK?

Greetings,
der Joachim

--
Computional linguistics student at Tilburg University,
The Netherlands

A true hunter weeps at a merciless kill (The God Machine)

------------------------------

From: Mark Metson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 06:48:15 -0400

Jason Clifford wrote:
> If the system is not on a network and there is absolutely no input
> possible (CAPS Lock light does not come on when Caps Lock key is pressed)
> then he will have to pull the power. He should not do this if the disk is
> obviously busy unless he absolutely must as this is a good way to corrupt
> a filesystem.

That last item is why I'd prefer to try
a processor reset if possible rather than
actually pull the power. But if theres no
reset button, power it'd have to be.

I usually like to know whether a reset
would have fixed a thing before checking
whether turning it off and back on again
would. So actually if by pull the power
you meant (as the word pull invokes image
of) pulling the plug, I'd first try the
on/off switch and only resort to the plug
in the event that too has failed or there
is not such a switch.

------------------------------

From: "Don Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: server install:  help?
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 04:22:25 -0600

Hi, Hamish;

Have you installed the server files or are they still in a  .rpm or .tgz
file? If they're installed, you need to run an X windows setup file like
xf86config or Red Hat's
X-Configurator so that X windows knows which server file to use.
 (Among other things).

Later,
Don

news:7bkkod$45k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From:  Nando Augusto 95r  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: These newsgroups are riduculous...
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:00:28 -0300

Try a group with less messages or a regional discussion list by e-mail

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Date: 04 Mar 1999 02:32:51 -0800

    >> You're confusing two issues.  Windows is not easier to learn
    >> than linux.

    >> First, Windows != WordPerfect.  Linux != applications.

    >> <snip>

    >> IMNSHO, if you handed an OEM-built linux machine to a home
    >> user, with the software already installed and set up, in the
    >> same way he would get his Windows 98 machine from that OEM,
    >> that user will have no more trouble "learning his OS" and
    >> learning to use his software than if the machine had Win 98 on
    >> it instead.  And he will not have any more problems in dealing
    >> with diagnostic/reconfiguration issues than he would in Win 98
    >> (considerably fewer, actually, since in linux there will be
    >> almost no system-crashing problems).

    Massimo>  First, most people, 100M+ computer users, do not learn
    Massimo> or even give a damn about OS's.

True.

    Massimo> Second all they care about is their apps, and no I'm not
    Massimo> trying to insult my lawer friend, but she is a typical
    Massimo> computer user. Her first computer was a 286, 2M ram and a
    Massimo> 40 meg hard drive. when it stopped working she called me.
    Massimo> She has no idea was DOS is, does not understand what OS,
    Massimo> CMOS, BIOS, .ini file, registry, chipset, video
    Massimo> accelerators, drivers, etc., etc, are and yet she uses
    Massimo> the computer daily and is a mainstay of her career.
    Massimo> Another attorny just had her mb die on her. When she
    Massimo> called all she said was her screen went blank.

You make my point.

    Massimo> Third I'm sure if I handed either of these people a
    Massimo> system with Linux which would boot to WP8 for Linux they
    Massimo> would have no trouble using it as it would behave similar
    Massimo> to WP8 for windows. But can they get Timeslips, a billing
    Massimo> program for attorneys, West Law, court descions on CD,
    Massimo> Amicus, a legal time and case management program for
    Massimo> lawyers, etc., for Linux, NO!!!!! So what good is an
    Massimo> operating system that will not run what they want.

You're going sideways again.  We were discussing ease of use, not
availability of specialized applications.

    Massimo> Lastly, you drive a car, correct. How much do you know
    Massimo> about it? Can you set the timing by ear? Can you
    Massimo> deterning where an engine noise is coming from just by
    Massimo> listening? Can you rebuild an engine, pverbore cylinders,
    Massimo> rework heads, rewind/rebuild alternators, starters,
    Massimo> celinoids, rewire a entire car, etc.?  Can you
    Massimo> disassemble a transmission and reset the gears? do you
    Massimo> know what to do to get more torque out of an engine,
    Massimo> (tweaking a cmputer to get more power out of it). A
    Massimo> recent report stated that there are 250M+ cars in the
    Massimo> US. That is one for every man woman and child. How many
    Massimo> do you think know anything more about their auto than
    Massimo> stick in the key, start engine, and if it doesn't start
    Massimo> and or makes funny noises, its broke. My father for
    Massimo> one. So is it necessary for someone to know the OS of a
    Massimo> computer to operate one? No, just as no one has to
    Massimo> understand internal combustion (the OS of cars) to
    Massimo> operate a car.

Actually, I don't drive a car very often now but I went through the
same rite of initiation suffered by most American males; I've done
every kind of repairs on an automobile except rebuild an automatic
trannie.  I've often said that owning a computer is a lot like owning
a car -- they both suck up all your spare time and money.  My garage
used to be full of leftover car parts.  Now, my cupboards are full of
leftover computer parts.

    Massimo> From what I've read, recenly in the past, UNIX IS the
    Massimo> more powerful, flexible and stable OS. If so why is
    Massimo> DOS/Windows, the world's most widely used system?

In terms of total numbers of users, WinDOS is not the most widely-used
system.  This would be an accurate statement only in terms of
IBM-clone PCs.

    Massimo> Because you press the on button and there it is. When
    Massimo> people ask me about computers, they say they know nothing
    Massimo> and are generally afraid to buy one. I tell them go
    Massimo> ahead, buy one, plug it in, and start clicking. If the
    Massimo> computer stops responding, turn it off and back on
    Massimo> again. You cannot normally hurt it or break it and sooner
    Massimo> or later you will get the hang of it. This is without

Which is actually not true & especially if you're talking about
Windows. Improper shutdowns are a major source of calls to tech
support.  Windows is so brain damaged that many applications will
illegal op if the video settings are wrong.

The reasons for the relative positions of unix and windows in the
computing world are not that complex.  The WinDOS came in attached to
the PC.  It became the dominant OS because it was what was shipped
first with IBMs and then with IBM clones.  It was there first.  Thanks
to the battering it's getting from the DoJ and the press, MS looks to
lose some market share to the alternatives.

What I wrote before remains true.  If you compare "ease of use" side
by side on comparable boxen, linux will not come out unfavorably in
comparison to Windows.

mp

- --
Michael Powe                                          Portland, Oregon USA
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.trollope.org
  "Three hours a day will produce as much as a man ought to write."
                         -- Anthony Trollope

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Linux SLOWER than win95?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:05:48 +0000

It was the Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:32:44 -0600...
..and Thomas T. Veldhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Kill KDE.  KDE is bloatware as much as anything on Win95.  Compared to most,
> if not all other window managers on *nix, it is the slowest.  Try
> WindowMaker if you want a nice, relatively lightweight Widnow Manager.

Whoa. You just made a complete fool of yourself. KDE is not a window
manager.

EOT

mawa
--
          (__)         |  Opinion Poll: Is ASCII art in .signatures...
          (oo)------\  |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:06:59 +0100
From: Daniel Dui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bash: /dev/dsp: Device not configured`

This is the problem:

cat myfile.wav > /dev/dsp
bash: /dev/dsp: Device not configured

cat myfile.au > /dev/audio
bash: /dev/audio: Device not configured

This is my /dev/sndstat I think I should have something in the
"Audio devices", "Synth devices", and "Midi devices" sections.

I checked in the Sound-HOWTO, but I clould not figure why.
What can I do?

Thank you

daniel

=========
cat /dev/sndstat

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Thu Mar 4 00:44:45 CET 1999 root,
Linux lamu 2.0.36 #1 Sun Jan 31 23:30:06 CET 1999 i586 unknown)
Kernel: Linux lamu 2.0.36 #1 Thu Mar 4 00:46:10 CET 1999 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
(Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 10 drq 1,5)
(SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
(OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

                                            Daniel Dui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Dave Philips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: newbie questions
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 00:06:46 -0500

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

| I installed red hat 5.0 (i know 5.2 is the current version, but 5.0 came with
| the book i bought), using the default values for monitor rates and such.
| Everything seems ok, but in x-window; the desktop/workarea seems like twice
| what is visible on my monitor. For example, I have to scroll way down to see
| the start menu bar. Likewise, I can scroll left or right to off-monitor
| desktop space. I presume I set something wrong. Can someone please help?

this is known as a virtual screen. it is currently set at a higher
resolution than you are running at. you can check your XF86Config file
(usually in /usr/lib/X11/) under the "screen" section look for a "virtual"
line. set this to the resolution you are currently runnning under. (i.e.
if running at 800x600 then "Virtual 800 600").

| Also, how does one exit a "man" page?

try "q".

dave

------------------------------

From: n@m
Subject: how to find processor type? uname -p failes
Date: 3 Mar 1999 22:26:09 -0800

# uname --processor
unknown

any idea how to fix this?

(linux red-hat 5.2)

thanks,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Potter)
Subject: Re: best offline newsreader?
Date: 3 Mar 1999 18:09:37 GMT

Kevin & Chelby Geiss enlightened this group thus:
> I'm a new linux user. my only gripe is reading usenet news (in fact
> I'm in windows right now!! blech!)
>
> I'm using free agent in windows. I can't find an off line news reader
> for linux whihc is as good!!!
>
> with agent you can select the headers you want downloaded and delete
> the rest from your account so they are gone forever. you can select
> multiple headers at once, using shift and the arrow keys. I can sift
> through 1000 messages in 15 minutes and end up with only the bodies I
> want to read.
>
> Please tell me there is something as good for linux!!!

Knews is very powerful, but it is not offline.  I've read reports that Agent
will work with Wine, and I know for a fact that Agent also works with Wabi.

--
   *  ^  \     ___@
 *^  / \  \   |  \

------------------------------

From: Stefan Sassenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: message: Command not found
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:44:45 +0100

Hello,

I´ve got the following problem:

When I execute a file, my machine says ´Command not found´.

The path is set correctly, the file exists, I have the appropriate
rights, ´whereis´ finds it in the path and I can type it using command
completion (TAB key).

This happens only with some files. One of them was self written and I
could solve the problem by recompiling it.

Switching over to another shell has no effect.

Can you please help me?

Thanks

Stefan

--
"Only the blind follow me"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lamb)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: 4 Mar 1999 11:03:04 GMT

Alexander Viro ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <nYjD2.948$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Steven Michael ROBBINS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >
: >Dollar
: >
: >The origin of the almighty dollar is in what is now the Czech Republic.
: >In 1519, a silver mine near the town of Joachimstal (literally "Joachim's
: >valley," from the German Tal, meaning valley) began minting a silver coin
:  ^^^^^^ dale.

<Opens Up Bunco Booth>
Roll Up, Roll Up! Pedants Corner is doing business!

Shall we see what 'dale' means? I have in my hand the Oxford English
Dictionary CD - Do we really wish to see what 'dale' means?
<plonks CD in drive>
Ok, we have 3 meanings for dale:

1.valley. In the northern counties, the usual name of a river-valley
between its enclosing ranges of hills or high land. In geographical
names, e.g. Clydesdale, Annandale, Borrowdale, Dovedale, it extends
from Lanarkshire to Derbyshire, and even farther south, but as an
appellative it is more or less confined to the district from Cumbria to
Yorkshire. In literary English chiefly poetical, and in the phrases
hill and dale, dale and down.

2. Dealing; having to do with; business.

3. A wooden tube or trough for carrying off water, as from a ship's
pump; a pump-dale.

Congratulations, Mr Viro. You win our star prize for most useless
correction of the week, by replacing a word with its synonym!
Unless you actually wished to say that the true translation of
'tal' was 'wooden tube' and so end up with Joachim's Wooden Tube
which now starts to lend itself to speculation as to who Joachim
was, why did he have a tube and why was it wooden?

<Closes Bunco Booth>

(Needless to say, this requires lots of :)'s)

regards

"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting X at boot
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:54:50 -0800

Jimmy Navarro wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
>
> > Nick Brown writes:
> > > Now I've changed my mind (of course) - where do I add XDM ?
> >
> > Edit /etc/X11/config and change "no-start-xdm" to "start-xdm".
> > --
> > John Hasler                This posting is in the public domain.
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.
> > Dancing Horse Hill         Make money from it if you can; I don't mind.
> > Elmwood, Wisconsin         Do not send email advertisements to this address.
>
> Is that only for Debian?  How about in Red Hat 5.2?

I have never head of doing it that way so I suspect it is just
Debian...the rest should edit inittab to run in the xdm runlevel.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD vs LINUX
Date: 3 Mar 1999 13:57:10 -0500

In article <7bjv4m$ncs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. William Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <7bjp7d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: >But, assuming you've built a kernel and booted, you're still stuck
>: >-- it'll try to run /sbin/init....and even if Linux keeps it
>: >there, chances are that program will just fall over and die. And
>:       Even? Sure it keeps it in /sbin/init. Fall over and die?
>
>I saw a Unix where init wasn't in /sbin, there wasn't even an
>/sbin,... ya never know what people will do. :)

        Erm... If you mean /etc/init - sure. Actual sequence for Linux:
if loader passed init= option - try to exec() it; try to exec("/sbin/init");
try to exec("/etc/init"); try to exec("/bin/init"); try to exec("/bin/sh");
panic. Standard location being /sbin/init.

>: *Very* unlikely. It doesn't use anything fancy - besides usual
>: open/read/write stuff it uses setsid(), fork(), exec(), sigaction(),
>: wait(), kill(), sleep() and syslog().
>
>SysV and BSD have differences in behavior in some of those calls
>and since Linux is more SysVish than BSDish, I'd expect things to
>break. Signals, in particular.
        Linux uses BSD semantics for signals, complete with sigaltstack().

>: Now, hardware-related stuff
>: in rc scripts will act funny. setserial, hwtime, hdparm and friends
>: will not work.
>
>That's for sure.

D'oh. uname works, so it's a question of appropriate ifs - names are different
anyway. In the worst case - mkdir /usr/ucb and there we go ;-/

>: But most likely you will be able to boot into
>: single-user.
>
>That's possible. The places where init is likely to break probably
>aren't hit when going into single user mode.

        Again, I don't think that init will break.

>: If init(8) will not work with FreeBSD kernel under it
>: I will consider it as bug in init. I.e. that would indicate that
>: thing does something *really* weird.
>
>Not really. As I said, there are differences in signal processing
>between SysV and BSD. A BSD kernel is going to do signals somewhat
>differently than a SysV init is going to expect. Not dealing with
>that wouldn't be a bug. A lack of a feature, perhaps, but not a
>bug.
        Heh... If init depends on BSD/SysV differences in signal stuff
it will not run on Missed'em'Five and I wouldn't consider it as bug.
It uses BSD semantics.

>Oops.... I just checked... It's in the list of "Undocumented
>options", which we skipped because, well, they're undocumented.
>So, what exactly is involved in dealing with ext2fs? Just setting
>options "EXT2FS"? Are any other things required?
        EXT2FS is enough. Isn't Handbook useful? ;-) See also (referenced
from the Handbook) Linux+FreeBSD mini-HOWTO (on sunsite^Wmetalab.unc.edu
in /pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/).

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Send me to Linux]
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:21:36 -0600

Richard Vosburgh wrote:

> I understand Linux OS is available at no cost. Please point me in the
> right direction to download the latest version. If I'm mistaken, about
> the no cost availability, let me know; where to go for downloads and
> who's version is best (i.e. Caldera, Redhat, etc.).

Unless you have a very fast internet connection (ie, not
dial-up) you'd probably find your time better spent
installing from a CDROM.  You can get the latest
distributions for about US$2 each from
http://www.cheapbytes.com or http://www.linuxmall.com or get
a collection of several distributions and utilities for
US$12-16 at the same sites.

If you're really on the cheap and don't mind installing an
older version (most likely) you can check your local public
library for books about linux.  Many include CD's that you
can install from.  That's how I installed my first linux
system.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: glibc6 2.1 compile/install prob
Date: 4 Mar 1999 11:51:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  I am having problems installing Glibc2 on my slackware 3.6 x86 linux box.
>I have gone through and upgraded/installed all the tools necesary for
>compilation, but when i go to install i get problems.  I've tried several
>different install locations, etc but I end up getting the same problem.
>Basically after I install I get compiler errors int the header file libio.h
>whenever I try to compile anything.  I get 4 parse errors and two warnings
>that the "data definition has no type or storage class."  The parse errors
>are on _IO_seekoff, _G_off64_t, _IO_seekpos, _G_fpos64_t.  I am using EGCS
There was an answer to this problem that I saw somewhere, perhaps
on the glibc-linux mailing list.  Try http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/glibc-linux-archive/
or do a search on dejanews.

--
Fred