Linux-Misc Digest #295, Volume #27                Tue, 6 Mar 01 17:13:03 EST

Contents:
  changing IP addresses (Bill Tangren)
  Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto? (Drew Roedersheimer)
  Re: Debian & CD-writing (Drew Roedersheimer)
  Re: Looking for Sound Filetring software (Kevin)
  How I upgraded to debian-stable (potato) to debian-testing (woody) (John
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Grundb=E4ck?=)
  Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow (Micah Cowan)
  Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto? (Chris Howells)
  Re: How I upgraded to debian-stable (potato) to debian-testing (woody) (John)
  Re: XFree86 4.0.2 Troubles!!! (Toby Haynes)
  Lost my Linux partition - now what? ("George Adams")
  Re: changing IP addresses (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: /bin/sh: no: command not found (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto? (Richard Kimber)
  RedHat6 FTP HELP (sysadmin)
  Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto? ("Tony Hoyle")
  Re: fvwm roll-up window shade. (Rick)
  Re: RedHat6 FTP HELP (sysadmin)
  Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto? (Richard Kimber)
  Re: PAN: how to post attachments ?
  Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto? (Chris Howells)
  Re: Lost my Linux partition - now what? (Michael Heiming)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Tangren)
Date: 06 Mar 2001 20:16:53 GMT
Subject: changing IP addresses

If I want to change my Linux box from IP address 10.1.5.12 to 10.1.5.13, and
the server name from server1.myaddy.com to server2.myaddy.com, what needs to be
changed?

I used netcfg to change servername and IP address, but when I reboot, I find
that my httpd server is no longer working properly. Before the change,
/etc/init.d/httpd started the httpd daemon, and read the
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file correctly. After the change, the daemon starts,
but it is most definitely NOT reading this conf file. The default root
directory changes, and I can no longer see my web pages! What am I doing wrong?

After the change, I see the changes in the /etc/sysconfig/network file. I have
made sure that /etc/hosts has both servers listed in it. And, /etc/HOSTNAME
lists server2.myaddy.com.

I notice that ifconfig lists the IP addy of eth0 as 10.1.5.12 (the old IP addy)
even after netcfg runs.

When I reboot, ifconfig shows the new IP address, but the httpd daemon still
doesn't work properly.

Bill Tangren
Bill Tangren
U.S.Naval Observatory

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Subject: Re: xawtv or kwintv  howto?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:20:29 GMT

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:16:56 +0000, Richard Kimber wrote:
>I have a Hauppage WinTv Go card (BT848) and would like to get it working
>with my Mandrake 7.2 /  X4.0.1 / Matrox G450
>
>When I start up, say, kwintv it doesn't detect any programs when it scans
>and so I don't get any picture, but there is a band of broken lines across
>the whole screen that suggests there is a signal there, but something is
>not configured right.
>
>Is this an X problem, or a kwintv/xawtv issue.  I have enabled the drivers
>in the kernel, but have not done anything specifically to X.
>
>I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
>- Richard.
>--
>Richard Kimber
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

I have the exact same card.  In xawtv you need to change the TV Norm to
NTSC (at least here in the states).  Also, make sure the Video Source and
Frequency table settings are correct.  Just right click on the xawtv window
and you can change these values.  I'm not familiar with kwintv, but I'm
guessing it's the same type of issue...  Also, these values can be set in
your ~/.xawtv config file.  `man xawtv` for details.

HTH
-DR

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew Roedersheimer)
Subject: Re: Debian & CD-writing
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:27:05 GMT

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:07:19 -0500, wroot wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Will I need to recompile Debian stable to enable CD - writing?
>
>Thanks
>
>Wroot

I'm guessing you mean recompile your kernel when you say "recompile Debian
stable".  I run Debian, and although I prefer to roll my own kernel, I had
no trouble burning cds with Potatoe right out of the box.  If your burner
is detected, you probably won't need to do any compiling of the kernel.  Of
course, I'm speaking from a SCSI point of view...  And, please, don't
crosspost like this in the future.

HTH
-DR

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: Re: Looking for Sound Filetring software
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:40:08 GMT

        You are looking for GramoFile,

        http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/

        G'luck....

From: John =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Grundb=E4ck?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How I upgraded to debian-stable (potato) to debian-testing (woody)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:48:29 GMT

How I upgraded to debian-stable (potato) to debian-testing (woody).

This is acctually a pretty straight forward problem. Start by checking
/etc/apt/sources.list this file contains arcives of .deb-packages.

My old file looked something like this:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

change these lines to:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US dists/proposed-updates/

You have to delete the security.debian.org site since there are no security
patches for testing/unstable.

when you have done this issue the following commands as root:

apt-get update
apt-get -f dist-upgrade

OBSERVE. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS WILL WORK. For me it did (no
problems what so ever). Be sure to backup anything important.

If a problem arises (the machine crashes or whatever) just issue the
commands again.

That should be it ;) (see how easy it is all you .rpm-ppl)

Bonus: how to install Ximian-GNOME 1.4beta and KDE 2.1

add the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/1.4beta1/distributions/debian unstable
main
deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/evolution-snapshots/distributions/Debian
unstable main

deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main crypto optional qt1apps

and run 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get -f dist-upgrade'

(if you don't have KDE installed before do a 'apt-get install task-kde')

GNOME and KDE2 works in potato too. So you can skip the first part if you
want to run them in potato ;)

/john

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: newbie: md5 + C + /etc/shadow
From: Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Mar 2001 12:46:05 -0800

"- = k o l i s k o = -" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Don't be too sure of that.  Whenever posters start asking about
> > /etc/shadow passwords -- and this is hardly the first time -- flags
> > should go up about malicious users or crackers.  Those of us who have
> > been around awhile are very wary about helping people do malicious
> > or illegal things.
>
> I am not a cracker!!
>
> I would like encrypt a plain text password.
> NOT decrypt!

The fact that you are talking encryption vs. decryption, unfortunately
doesn't make a difference, because the UNIX password encryption
utilities /don't/ decrypt - crackers crack shadow files by
/encrypting/ various words which they think might be passwords, and
then comparing the results to the shadow file.

The traditional (not very secure) method used in passwords is DES, I
believe, and not md5.  The generation of an encrypted password is done
with your system's crypt() function (see the manpage).  You can use
printf() to print formatted output as appropriate.  See passwd(5) and
shadow(5) for the password file format, and even better, see the
source code for the passwd program.

This topic is completely off for CLC, follow-ups set.

Micah

------------------------------

From: Chris Howells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:48:28 +0000

Richard Kimber wrote:

> Is this an X problem, or a kwintv/xawtv issue.  I have enabled the drivers
> in the kernel, but have not done anything specifically to X.

What do you mean by enabled? Loaded the correct modules and with the
correct options?

--
Chris Howells
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 20:52:34 GMT

John Grundbäck wrote:

> How I upgraded to debian-stable (potato) to debian-testing (woody).
>
> This is acctually a pretty straight forward problem. Start by checking
> /etc/apt/sources.list this file contains arcives of .deb-packages.
>
> My old file looked something like this:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> change these lines to:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US dists/proposed-updates/
>
> You have to delete the security.debian.org site since there are no
> security patches for testing/unstable.
>
> when you have done this issue the following commands as root:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get -f dist-upgrade
>
> OBSERVE. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS WILL WORK. For me it did (no
> problems what so ever). Be sure to backup anything important.
>
> If a problem arises (the machine crashes or whatever) just issue the
> commands again.
>
> That should be it ;) (see how easy it is all you .rpm-ppl)
>
> Bonus: how to install Ximian-GNOME 1.4beta and KDE 2.1
>
> add the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/1.4beta1/distributions/debian unstable
> main
> deb
> http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/evolution-snapshots/distributions/Debian
> unstable main
>
> deb http://kde.tdyc.com potato main crypto optional qt1apps
>
> and run 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get -f dist-upgrade'
>
> (if you don't have KDE installed before do a 'apt-get install task-kde')
>
> GNOME and KDE2 works in potato too. So you can skip the first part if you
> want to run them in potato ;)
>
> /john

Sorry. The subject should read "How I upgraded from debian-stable (potato)
to debian-testing (woody)"

/john

------------------------------

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,de.comp.os.linux,de.comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 Troubles!!!
Date: 06 Mar 2001 16:00:51 -0500

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Toby!
>
>> > On my Compaq AP200 at work (128MB, ELSA Gloria Synergy 8MB), using XF336,
>> > I have 1280x1024x24bit in ~85kHz. Trying it with XF402, I only get
>> > something around 54Hz. It is not possible to work with this! Any idea how
>> > to tune XF402 to have 1280x1024x24bit in a resonable sync (somewere
>>
>> Two possibilities - either there is no suitable mode defined (something
>> which is highly unlikely with 4.0.x as there are a large collection of
>> default modes)
>
> How can I check this? My monitor is a HP A4576A and it is not listed.

Don't worry about the strict monitor definition - the key things are the sync
ranges below. If your monitor supports EDID, then sometimes the monitor will
give misleading information to the driver and things get a little cranky, but
generally it should work ...

>> or you have the wrong monitor refresh rates in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>> file. XFree86 picks the best mode it can use with the monitor.
>
>>         HorizSync    30.0-100.0
>>         VertRefresh  50.0-170.0
>
> Well, it is there, but without ".0" at the end. But this shouldn't matter?

No - the .0 shouldn't matter.

Okay - lets analyze this a little further. Look at the file
/var/log/XFree86.0.log after you start X in this 1280x1024x24bit@54Hz mode -
save it somewhere safe as I suspect you will quickly go insane looking at a
screen at 54Hz.

Look through it for lines like (the driver may be different):

  (II) MGA(0): I2C bus "DDC" initialized.
  (II) MGA(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered.
  (II) MGA(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
  (II) MGA(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" registered.
  (II) MGA(0): I2C device "DDC:ddc2" removed.
  (II) MGA(0): I2C Monitor info: 0x82872a8
  (II) MGA(0): Manufacturer: PHL Model: 4109 Serial#: 2565
  (II) MGA(0): Year: 1999 Week: 45
  (II) MGA(0): EDID Version: 1.1
  (II) MGA(0): Analog Display Input, Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.300 V
  (II) MGA(0): Sync: Separate Composite SyncOnGreen
  (II) MGA(0): Max H-Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34 vert.: 25
  (II) MGA(0): Gamma: 2.76
and so on.

There should be a list of supported Vesa Modes - I suspect that 1280x1024@75Hz
should be listed. You should also get a pixel clock measurement and an image
size as well, among other details. Then it should tell you what refresh rates
it is going to use, and then it should 'delete' all unsuitable modes. What do
you get for all this, and how does it compare to the specs in the monitor
manual.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes
--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: "George Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Lost my Linux partition - now what?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:13:35 -0500

I have (well, had) a dual-boot PC running Win95 and RH Linux 6.2.  In the
process of upgrading my Win95 partition to Win98, my boot sector and LILO
got overwritten.  Now the PC boots straights into Win98.  The Linux
partition is still there, but with no LILO it's pretty much inaccessible.

I don't have a Linux boot disk (though I can probably get one if it will
help.)  Is there any way to get back into my Linux partition so I can
reinstall LILO?  Or is that partition pretty much gone now?  :-(

Thanks to anyone who can help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: changing IP addresses
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:16:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bill Tangren wrote:
>If I want to change my Linux box from IP address 10.1.5.12 to 10.1.5.13, and
>the server name from server1.myaddy.com to server2.myaddy.com, what needs to be
>changed?
>
>I used netcfg to change servername and IP address, but when I reboot, I find
>that my httpd server is no longer working properly. Before the change,
>/etc/init.d/httpd started the httpd daemon, and read the
>/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file correctly. After the change, the daemon starts,
>but it is most definitely NOT reading this conf file. The default root
>directory changes, and I can no longer see my web pages! What am I doing wrong?
[-]
You may start with the `real men' method ...
find /etc ! -type d -exec fgrep -l server1 {} \;
... to find all files that contain the old hostname and you can do the
same for the IP address.

If you've a name server running or are known to one, then don't forget to
update it's files a./o. to inform the relevant admins.

BTW, you can make sure httpd does read the file you want it to by starting
it with -f /path/to/httpd.conf and if it's apache, then see httpd -h for
some options to see what it does.

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: /bin/sh: no: command not found
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:16:18 GMT

In article <9834jj$o40$06$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, aerosoul wrote:
>/bin/sh: no: command not found
>
>where can i get "no"?
[-]
Stop being be so negative.

>i get this prob when i try to compile rpm4.0
Serves you right ;-) ... nah, if it behaves like 'yes', then
this should do ...

/* -------------------------------- 8< -------------------------- */
#! /bin/bash

if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
   while :
   do
         echo 'n'
   done
else
   while :
   do
         echo $*
   done
fi
/* -------------------------------- >8 -------------------------- */

Ta',
Juergen

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:13:02 +0000

Chris Howells wrote:

> Richard Kimber wrote:
>
> > Is this an X problem, or a kwintv/xawtv issue.  I have enabled the
> > drivers in the kernel, but have not done anything specifically to X.
>
> What do you mean by enabled? Loaded the correct modules and with the
> correct options?

Well lsmod says
bttv                   33504   0
i2c                     3488   1  [bttv]
videodev                2656   2  [bttv]

But I don't know what options I should be using and how.
The man for xawtv says:-
"Just  start  up  xawtv, this will work without a config file too."

Later on it implies that there needs to be an entry in XFreeConfig but just
says "mine is ....."  and I'm reluctant to assume that someone else's
hardware/software setup is the same as mine.  Presumably video cards make a
difference.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: sysadmin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat6 FTP HELP
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:31:14 -0500

I have run into some weirdness with a RedHat 6 linux machine and FTP.
For some reason when I connect to the host with FTP it says I'm
"connected"... even in the secure logs it says I am connected but I
never get a prompt to enter user or password... then it times out
disconnecting me saying "Connection closed by remote host". I am so
frustrated I don't know what to do. PLEASE! Can anyone help?

If I'm not posting in the right group for this please just let me know
ina polite manner. I appreciate any help that you can give me on this.
Thanks.

K.

------------------------------

From: "Tony Hoyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:24:34 +0000

In article <wIap6.1239$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Richard
Kimber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a Hauppage WinTv Go card (BT848) and would like to get it working
>  with my Mandrake 7.2 /  X4.0.1 / Matrox G450
>
> When I start up, say, kwintv it doesn't detect any programs when it
> scans  and so I don't get any picture, but there is a band of broken
> lines across  the whole screen that suggests there is a signal there,
> but something is  not configured right.

Have you loaded the tuner module?

Also check that the band/encoding is set correctly in the tuner program
(set to Western Europe/PAL).

Tony

--
"User DATA\tmh cannot be created because DATA\tmh does not exist."
Windows -- Great UI huh?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                http://www.nothing-on.tv

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: fvwm roll-up window shade.
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:27:26 -0500

Ken Moffat wrote:

> > Im looking for this capability in fvm2.
> > --
> > Rick
>
> Sorry, thought xfce was based on fvwm.
>
> --

I have since found a windoshade command in fvwm, but I havent figured
out how to use it.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: sysadmin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat6 FTP HELP
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:36:51 -0500

sysadmin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have run into some weirdness with a RedHat 6 linux machine and FTP.
> For some reason when I connect to the host with FTP it says I'm
> "connected"... even in the secure logs it says I am connected but I
> never get a prompt to enter user or password... then it times out
> disconnecting me saying "Connection closed by remote host". I am so
> frustrated I don't know what to do. PLEASE! Can anyone help?
>
> If I'm not posting in the right group for this please just let me know
> ina polite manner. I appreciate any help that you can give me on this.
> Thanks.
>
> K.

Things that I've done...

1.  Checked DNS (including reverse)... OK
2.  Unwrapped FTP (still same problem)... OK
3.  Checked hosts.allow & hosts.deny... OK

Get this... I can telnet to and from the machine fine... FTP only
outbound... no inbound FTP (disconnects me).

K.

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:37:16 +0000

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> In article <wIap6.1239$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Richard
> Kimber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I have a Hauppage WinTv Go card (BT848) and would like to get it working
> >  with my Mandrake 7.2 /  X4.0.1 / Matrox G450
> >
> > When I start up, say, kwintv it doesn't detect any programs when it
> > scans  and so I don't get any picture, but there is a band of broken
> > lines across  the whole screen that suggests there is a signal there,
> > but something is  not configured right.
>
> Have you loaded the tuner module?

lsmod says
bttv                   33504   0
i2c                     3488   1  [bttv]
videodev                2656   2  [bttv]

> Also check that the band/encoding is set correctly in the tuner program
> (set to Western Europe/PAL).

Yes I tried that.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PAN: how to post attachments ?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:48:31 -0500

When I first used pan, I was rather blown away by what it could do. No
longer do I have to drudge through multipart postings one by one, and check
if all the parts made it.
Just for posting attachments, i can use some other news client for the time
being.

Thanks.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Chris Howells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 21:51:58 +0000

Richard Kimber wrote:

> Is this an X problem, or a kwintv/xawtv issue.  I have enabled the drivers
> in the kernel, but have not done anything specifically to X.

Are you sure that you loaded the modules with the correct options, for
example specifying the card type?

See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Video4Linux

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:58:56 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lost my Linux partition - now what?

George Adams wrote:

> I have (well, had) a dual-boot PC running Win95 and RH Linux 6.2.  In the
> process of upgrading my Win95 partition to Win98, my boot sector and LILO
> got overwritten.  Now the PC boots straights into Win98.  The Linux
> partition is still there, but with no LILO it's pretty much inaccessible.
>
> I don't have a Linux boot disk (though I can probably get one if it will
> help.)  Is there any way to get back into my Linux partition so I can
> reinstall LILO?

If Win98 didn't canibalize more than your MBR, which it normaly doesn't, it
should be no problem.

Get a boot/rescue CD/disk,boot and mount your / to /mnt, asuming your
/etc/lilo.conf was OK:

lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

Should be all you need to do

Good luck