From: Bob Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie: what is "Segmentaion fault"?
Date: 4 Aug 1999 21:18:31 -0500

Andrew de los Reyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm a linux newbie. occasionally I get an error message "Segmentation fault
> (core dumped)". Could someone tell me where it's dumped to, is it sitting
> around wasting my limited HD space? Am I completely off base?

Unless you've done some tweaking to the kernel, the file will be named
``core'' and located in the current working directory. A ``segfault''
generally means that an invalid region of memory was accessed such as
use of a null pointer.

          Bob Nelson -- Dallas, Texas, USA ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
      http://www.oldradio.com/archives/nelson/open-computing.html
``Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.''

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 21:12:34 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using IDE controller card

Performance is generally not good when both drives share the same
controller channel.  Change the current slave to be master on the other
controller (hdf -> hdg).

     chan0 (ide2)         chan1 (ide3)
|   ______________      _______________
|--|______________|----|_______________|-----      top view

       hde/hdf              hdg/hdh
    master/slave         master/slave
     1st drive            2nd drive
     3rd drive            4th drive

For RAID0 stripe sets, hde+hdf or hdg+hdh = 1/2 single drive
performance; hde+hdg or hdf+hdh = 2x single drive performance.  Onboard
PIIX4 has same behavior.

Variation for RAID on 2 Ultra's:

|   ______________      _______________
|--|______________|----|_______________|-----

       1 drive             3 drive
       5 drive             7 drive
|   ______________      _______________
|--|______________|----|_______________|-----

       2 drive             4 drive
       6 drive             8 drive

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: Mark Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Did SUSE 6.1 egcs lose C++???
Date: 05 Aug 1999 05:20:30 +0100

Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > g++-2.7.2.3 was not close to the Standard, but that compiler is many
> > years old now.

> > Learn whereof you speak.

> You should learn how to read. I only commented on g++ which is
> a worthless piece of shit. Fortunately it has been removed from
> most modern Linux distributions. g++ is now a link to the new
> gcc otherwise known as egcs.

Linux is utter garbage.  I mean, version 1.0 only supports single
processor i386 systems.  Even with the hardware, I tried to set up a
firewall with it, but none of the stuff about ipchains or ipfwadm
worked.  How useless can you get?  I don't know how people can say
it's good for networks.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: GDP
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:35:30 GMT

On 3 Aug 1999 19:39:18 -0400, Donovan Rebbechi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 3 Aug 1999 21:17:43 GMT, Richard Kulisz wrote:
>> Assigning them a value of *ZERO* is vastly >more inaccurate
>
>This is like saying that literacy rates are useless because they
>assign a value of zero to infant mortality rates. The GDP is not
>meant to be a complete picture of an economy's well being.

This is a nice reflection of the contention that allocations are always
arbitrary.

- If all I care about is infant mortality, any measurement that doesn't
contribute to an evaluation of infant mortality is valueless.

- If all I care about is employment rates, ditto...

The problem with GDP is that it aggregates so many things together that
while it may be somewhat correlated with a bunch of other factors, it is
not a measure of a useful thing *as itself.*

>>>The mistake that the conservatives ( or at least the "economic
>>>rationalists" ) seem guilty of is a tendency to simply ignore
>>>these things and concentrate on getting "good numbers".
>>
>>Yes. And what "numbers" are you referring to if not the GDP? It's
>>simpler to just say the GDP is useless.
>
>But it's not useless. It's a good indicator of unemployment trends, and
>can be quite useful for forecasting unemployment figures.
>
>Of course there are other numbers that economists use.
>Annual GDP growth, inflation, budget deficits, foreign debt, tax revenue,
>export/import growth, unemployment rates, interest rates, exchange
>rate, etc etc.

I'd think that some combination of those factors, particularly
unemployment rates, would represent *vastly* better predictors than a
measure that is itself a conglomerate of a bunch of estimates.

>Note that I point to all of these numbers because they (by and large)
>only deal with the flow of money in and out of the national economy, but
>do not address wealth distribution or the living standards of ordinary
>people. My point is that conservative economists have invented an entire
>*language* that dismisses the plight of ordinary people.

Some of the even more "conservative" ones (Von Mises comes to mind)
reject GDP as being altogether useless.

>From a mathematical standpoint, I tend to agree with this.

A vague conglomeration of statistics, which is what GDP is, is less
useful than the statistics that were used to generate it.  The fact that
some people get "warm fuzzies" out of thinking that one number can be
useful for any of the purposes for which one might use GDP doesn't make
it so.

--
C program run -- Run program run -- Run, C program, Run! -- (please)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Database program
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:35:32 GMT

On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 19:15:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there a linux equivalent to Access or SQL ?

There is no precise equivalent to Microsoft Access; there does not
exist a "multiplexing data access tool" of similar sort.

There are a number of tools used to provide alternative "equivalents;"
see <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/framewrk.html> for various such.

SQL stands for Structured Query Language, and is merely a standard for
describing a query language.  Quite useless without a database
management system standing behind it.

There are on the order of 30 database systems available for Linux that
provide SQL front ends of one degree of standardization or another.
The popular "free" one is PostgreSQL; there are a number of relatively
inexpensive ones; there also are Full-Featured and Full-Priced options
of proven industrial strength such as those from Oracle, Informix,
Sybase, and IBM (DB/2).

--
It is better to have 100 functions operate on one data structure than 10
functions on 10 data structures.

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Aug 1999 18:42:03 -0700

Andrew de los Reyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm a linux newbie. occasionally I get an error message "Segmentation fault
> (core dumped)". Could someone tell me where it's dumped to, is it sitting
> around wasting my limited HD space? Am I completely off base?
a seg fault occurs when a program tries to access a part of memory
that it doesn't have rights to.  The core dump is a copy of memory
that gets written-out to a file for debugging purposes.  To see if you
have any core dumps laying around (they can be quite large), do
        rm -i `find / -name core`
as root (the -i is for safety, in case your thesis data is in a file
named 'core').  If you don't plan a doing anything w/ the cores, you
can add 'ulimit -c 0' to your .bashrc or .profile to set their max
size to 0.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Gaiko Kyofusho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wine and the "netzero" freenet provider?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:19:03 GMT

Hi, i was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck
with the netzero free internet provider and wine?  I have
tried it but haven't had any luck so far.  If anyone has
made any headway in getting netzero and wine working
could you possibly email me as to how you did it?

Thanks for any input you can provide,

-Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: xgammon Seg Fault
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:57:24 GMT

Anybody here have any experience with the "xgammon" game for Linux?
Backgammon happens to be one of my favorite games, and this is the
*only* backgammon game I can find for Linux/X.  I used to run it on my
RedHat 5.2 system with no problems.  When I run it on my new SuSE 6.1
system, I can play the game quite a while (usually to the point where
I'm just about to start moving pieces off the board), and I get kicked
out abruptly with the message "Segmentation fault.  Sorry, bye!"
And this is consistent.  Happens everytime I play the game.

Is this a pretty flakey game in general?  Anyone know of any other
backgammon games for X?

Ray

------------------------------

From: "Advanced one corporation" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is a mount point in Linux?
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 00:41:04 +0100

When installing Linux Red hat, what is a mount point and how is it defined?
E-mail are appreciated

From: "patman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: ICQ and linux client
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:43:39 -0700

Load the library....
I've been through, this also.. I couldn't get licq to work.. finally gave up
loaded another, I think gnomeicu? (I don't remember right now... using the
accursed windows) that was in
RPM format.
Patrick
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Gaiko Kyofusho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: copying contents of a hard drive to anther drive?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:14:42 GMT

Hi, i just got a new (well used but new to me) hard drive
and i wanted to somehow transfer the entire setup from my
old drive to my new drive.  I tried the "cp -R" approach but
that didn't seem to work too well.  Can anyone out there
suggest a way that i can do this without buying any special
software?

Thank you,

                                       -Gaiko

Gaikokujin Kyofusho

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,esp.comp.linux.misc
Subject: ES1938
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 16:53:56 -0500

Im triyng to install an ESS Solo 1 (MB integrated) in a Apollo 2.2.5
box... time ago I try :~(...

If anyone have made one of this work, pelase, *please*, drop me a line.

I RTFM, of course, tried the config files of other people, and nothing.
I have found not explicit mention of this card in any document; only
older ones (until the 1888). I readed the opensound drivers have a beta
version for the Solo-1, but it requires "a separately priced license
option".

So... opensound have just a beta... and Im starting to think that the
new *improvements* made to this ESS chip make him incompatible with the
sb module (the one used for older cards). isapnptools doesnot detect the
card, nor sndconfig. I tried insmod in several ways, but nothing. I
supose this thing is PnP (it not appears in my bios, anyway), so I need
to config it via software, but isapnp doesnt help.

Anyway, I will thank any little light in my silenced days.

Best regards

        Chema

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CPEG Felix)
Subject: Directory browsing
Date: 5 Aug 1999 04:40:35 GMT

Hi,

        I am setting access limitations to user account.  Can I restrict
user "guest" to work under /home/guest only?  That is "guest" cannot cd
to / or even /home.

        Thanks in adv.

Felix

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Learning the ways of the Penguin
Date: 5 Aug 1999 01:11:57 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Heller wrote:
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto),
>  In a message on 4 Aug 1999 11:37:31 -0500, wrote :
>PK> It is possible that on your system the chmod and chown documentation
>PK> are not maintained, in which case you must investigate the fileutils
>PK> info pages.  (Running "chmod --version" or "chown --version" reveals
>PK> that they are both part of "fileutils".)

> The problem is that 'man chmod' == 'man 1 chmod'.  This man page  does
> tell all, but not necessarily in an all that easy to digest fashion.
> 'man 2 chmod' gives a different slant (different man page author?), that
> might be a little more compensable.  'man 2 chmod' gives a nice
> tabulation of the bits in bit order sequence.

The man pages supplied with GNU fileutils (version 4.0 is the latest)
are not maintained.  The GNU people would rather that you use the info
pages; they keep them up to date.

The chmod(1) man page supplied in man-pages is maintained by the
keeper(s) of man-pages.  It corresponds to fileutils-3.16.

The chmod(2) man page describes the system call chmod(), not the
program /bin/chmod.  (Of course, they are related.)  The chmod()
function does not accept the very useful symbolic arguments (e.g.,
"u+wx,go+x") that the program does.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: linux in portuguese
Date: 5 Aug 1999 05:30:03 GMT

On Wed, 04 Aug 1999 18:51:57 GMT,

See http://www.conectiva.com.br/cl/index.html

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: failure installing StarOffice
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 01:34:15 -0400

In <Df5q3.787$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 08/05/99
   at 01:49 AM, "Arne Vist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>It complains about the X-server not running.
>You might try to run the setup from inside X

Had the vague impression this might be so but as far as I could interpret
the README, there was no mention of first running X. I'll give it a try
tonight, thanks!

>> A weird phenomenon I can't help but mention. All of a sudden I can't
>> invoke fdisk ('command not found'). I copied it to /sbin as root and now I
>> can invoke it as root. I thought I was able to invoke it before without
>> the absolute path and also as 'user'. Just wondering. (Somehow a path is
>> messed up?)
>>

>A normal user don't have the permission to run fdisk, just root. Nothing
>about paths.

I figured as much but had the impression I had in fact run it as 'user'. I
know it wouldn't make sense for 'user' to do this. Still, because of some
other anomalies, I wanted to be sure and to ask.

>> Thanks!
>>

>Just tryin' my best

Hey, it was great, especially if StarOffice runs tonight!

F.

      Felmon John Davis
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     - insert standard doxastic disclaimers -
     OS/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: "Brett Castleberry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partition Managers.
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:12:29 -0400

FIPS is free, non-destructive, now handles FAT32 partitions.
http://www.tux.org/pub/dos/partition-programs/fips/

--
Brett G. Castleberry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
news:7o8bdd$17o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Steve Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GCC and GCC++
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 05:18:31 GMT

Hi there.
I'm really new to Linux and I've recently installed Caldera OpenLinux
2.2 and I would like to know how to install and configure gcc and
gcc++.  These packages don't seem to come with the base install.
Help!!!!!

--
**
Steve R. Thomas