  Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux (Mongoose)

From: Graham Daniell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to "format" under Linux
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:21:48 +0800

I have RH Linux 6.2 installed in a 2 GB partition on my second HDD, as
well as a DOS partition and some free space left over (970 MB).

I want some more space for Linux, and decided to set up the free space
for use by Linux.  To do this I ran fdisk and created a new linux
partition at /dev/hdb6

I now find that I cannot "mount" this partition.  Obviously I have to
prepare it somehow, similarly to "formatting" a drive in Windows.  Can
someone tell me how to do this?

Also after doing this, how do I set up Linux to automatically mount the
new partition as, say "/extra" every time Linux starts?

Thanks,
Graham Daniell

From: Oliver Gebele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Whats devpts ?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:27:21 +0200

Hello everbody,

on my newinstalled SuSE-6.4 i get an bootup error message
such as "devpts no /dev/pts"; since i can't always restart
my machine (work in progress) i first like to know what it
is - maybe i can find out more without reboot. =

TIA, Oliver
-- =

Ich, setze meine Kommas, da wo ich, will hin.
Lank lehbe dih R=E4chtschaiprephorm.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x.i386unix,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.networking,alt.fan.sysadmin
Subject: Re: USENIX 2000 Technical Conf - Pre-Reg Savings deadling 5/12
Date: 17 May 2000 12:18:28 GMT

In article <8flde8$16l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Close <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moun Chau) writes:
| >Hotel discounts will be available until May 26.
|
| Marriott tells me that all the rooms set aside for Usenix are already
| booked and no wait list is offered. Next idea?

  He said the discount would be available, not the rooms ;-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to "format" under Linux
Date: 17 May 2000 12:34:15 GMT

On Wed, 17 May 2000 19:21:48 +0800, Graham Daniell allegedly wrote:
>I have RH Linux 6.2 installed in a 2 GB partition on my second HDD, as
>well as a DOS partition and some free space left over (970 MB).
>
>I want some more space for Linux, and decided to set up the free space
>for use by Linux.  To do this I ran fdisk and created a new linux
>partition at /dev/hdb6
>
>I now find that I cannot "mount" this partition.  Obviously I have to
>prepare it somehow, similarly to "formatting" a drive in Windows.  Can
>someone tell me how to do this?

"/sbin/mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdb6" or "/sbin/mk2efs /dev/hdb6"

>Also after doing this, how do I set up Linux to automatically mount the
>new partition as, say "/extra" every time Linux starts?

edit the /etc/fstab file. read the manual pages "man mount" and "man
fstab" first, then add a line like:

#
/dev/hdd6       /extra        ext2   defaults,auto             0      1
--
      Herman
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

------------------------------

From: "Ian Petts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem using netdate
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 22:36:34 +1000

I can't seem to get netdate to adjust my clock properly. My clock is within
5 minutes of Australian Eastern Standard time, but when I try to sync it
with a time server it attempts to put my clock forward about 35 years.

Here is the output of a non-root session trying to sync to
time.ozemail.com.au (I usually run it as root, but got tired of it screwing
up my system time) I'm running Slackware Linux 2.2.15:

tp:~$ /usr/sbin/netdate udp time.ozemail.com.au
netdate: settimeofday: Operation not permitted
time.ozemail.com.au +1127411983.455 Thu Feb  7 17:28:16.000

I know the 'Operation not permitted' is because I'm not root at the moment,
that's ok. It's the amount of adjustment that worries me.

My bios is not Y2k compliant (it thinks it's 1900), but Linux seems to
compensate for this without me even trying . Could this have something to do
with the problem, or can anyone offer another solution?

Thanks,
Ian Petts.

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Disk Weirdness - suddenly disk full
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:24:18 -0500

"Frank J. Schmuck" wrote:

> I was freeing up some space on my hard disk by deinstalling some RPMs.  I
> don't believe I removed anything of great importance, mainly games and
> stuff.  After doing so I appeared to have no problems.  I was able to free
> up space until I had about 20% of the disk free (1.2 gig drive) checking the
> disk using > df -m or > df -k.  I appeared to have no problems at that
> point.
>
> I then changed some permissions for StarOffice to allow a group (my non-root
> user account). But was never able to get it to run as my non-root user.  To
> do this I was switching back and forth between root and user to change
> permissions.
>
> I changed the clock to the correct time.
>
> Then I logged onto the Internet with Netscape for a short session (no
> downloads just looking about).
>
> At the end of the session I moved from an Gnome session back to command line
> as the non-root user and did one last check with df.  To my surprise the
> disk was now 100% used.
>
> At that point I could not log onto a Gnome session.  At shut down I get
> x-font server - failed with everything else "ok."
>
> At boot I received no error messages but after logging on as root I still
> have 100% disk full.  I am able to log onto a Gnome session.
>
> >> Anyone have an idea what I did and how to get out of this situation?
>
> Thanks
> Frank

get yourself to a console and do a "du /" as root (no quotes of
course) that should show you where all of your space went to.

Most likely you managed to fill up /tmp or have an enormous
.Xsession-errors file (happened to me once, blew up to 1.2G)

------------------------------

From: Fro-Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:36:02 -0400

What you want to use to make a linux filesystem after you have created the
partition is "mkfs".  If you look at the man page that should help.  There
are also other scripts that are for different file systems.  Like
"mkfs.ext2" is pretty common and should actually do most of the settings
for you.  Also, depending on how you make hte filesystem, you will have
different performance things about it.  Like a small block size will allo
more files, where a 4096 block size will possibley be faster, becuase of
using the page size of memeory.  These are probably not noticable things,
but theoretical things, and every little bit of theory that goes into it
will help.

You just need to put an entry into the /etc/fstab to have it mount
everytime you boot.  If you look in the file you should be able to see how
its done.  If I remember correct it is:

device          mount_point     type            options

If you look at the mount man page you should be able to divine some
options, and what them mean.

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Graham Daniell wrote:

> I have RH Linux 6.2 installed in a 2 GB partition on my second HDD, as
> well as a DOS partition and some free space left over (970 MB).
>
> I want some more space for Linux, and decided to set up the free space
> for use by Linux.  To do this I ran fdisk and created a new linux
> partition at /dev/hdb6
>
> I now find that I cannot "mount" this partition.  Obviously I have to
> prepare it somehow, similarly to "formatting" a drive in Windows.  Can
> someone tell me how to do this?
>
> Also after doing this, how do I set up Linux to automatically mount the
> new partition as, say "/extra" every time Linux starts?
>
> Thanks,
> Graham Daniell
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# Aaron Day # [EMAIL PROTECTED] # http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~daya

         'init' is the mother of all proccesses...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: German Govt says Microsoft a security risk
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:55:31 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Gunter Bengel would say:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (s. keeling) writes:
>> Bull.  The Nazi party is outlawed in Germany, for example.
>> A Nazi party (many, likely) operates freely in the US.
>>
> Horseshit.  The Mafia is outlawed in the US of A. So there is
>censoreship?

Obviously there is censorship is _both_ countries.

The USA censors any number of things.  The famous "ten words you can't
say on television" aren't a concept that they arrived at in Germany, no?

There are some "nazi" parties in the US; that may be permissible;
I seem to recall it being illegal in some jurisdictions (perhaps
not all states) to have a "Communist" party.

The notion that either country has perfection in this area is just
silly.
--
Babbage's  Rule: "No  man's  cipher  is worth  looking  at unless  the
inventor has himself solved a very difficult cipher" (The Codebreakers

------------------------------

From: Chad Lemmen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modifying the Kernel
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:46:13 GMT

In article <8fsske$k3o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Alexander K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> uncompress the kernel??? why?
>
> your gonna recompile it anyway no?
> do you have the configfile and source for your current kernel?

The config file is what I need.  Is that located in /usr/src/.config?
If so that isn't the right one for my running kernel.  The source tree
wasn't in /usr/src after I installed Linux so I downloaded it and now
the source tree is there, but where can I get the config file for the
running kernel?

> In article <8fsobl$f6q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Chad Lemmen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm using Corel Linux and I found instructions on compileing a new
> > kernel from source.  I think I could do that ok, but what I want to
do
> > is modify my current kernel.  Is there a way to take the existing
> kernel
> > in /boot and umcompress that into /usr/src/linux then I have a patch
> > file I want to apply then recompile that with make xconfig.
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> --
> .
> .
> ... ak42 at kurir dot net ...
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

"If NT and UNIX were on a battlefield together, NT would faint at the
 sight of first blood.  UNIX on the other hand would keep fighting no
 matter how many slugs it took in the chest."

Subject: Re: compilation problem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Masoud Pajoh)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 07:56

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (s. keeling) writes:

>On Tue, 16 May 2000 21:54:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi All;
>> I am newbie, as you can tell by my question.
>> Everytime I try to use ./configure or make to make executables I get
>> messages that some file not found.
>>
>> Here is an example:
>> I was tryng to install gnomerar-0.3.2.  After using tar, and untaring
>> the .tar.gz file, the install file says to run ./configure from the
>> gnomerar-0.3.2.  When I do tha I get the following messages:

>> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>> checking whether build environment is sane... yes
>> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
>> checking for working aclocal... missing
>> checking for working autoconf... missing
>> checking for working automake... missing
>> checking for working autoheader... missing
>> checking for working makeinfo... missing
>> checking for gnome-config... no
>> checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
>> configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated
>> by gnome-libs install
>
>If you're running Debian, I'd say apt-get install gnome-libs
>
>Translate for other disros.

Sorry fogot to mention, I use RH6.1 + some updates.
Masoud

------------------------------

From: tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and Linux
Date: 17 May 2000 13:05:52 GMT

my answers:

In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc frans abels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have been experimenting with FreeBSD lately, comparing it to Linux.
: Here are some questions that I still have

: 1. FreeBSD runs Linux binaries. Does this mean that I can install a
: FreeBSD kernel
: in a Linux distribution?

No. You can use a Linux kernel on a linux system.

: 2. Is it possible to mount the sub-partitions of a FreeBSD-slice in
: Linux?

using NFS? should work.

: 3. FreeBSD (and BeOS too) won't boot from chos (run from Linux). Is this
: a bug in chos?

this i don't know ...

: 4. Why isn't there something like the ports system in Linux?

Debian Linux has something like a port system, the .deb packages. the rpm's don't work
as well as the ports.

: 5. Is FreeBSD a real UNIX? Is Solaris? Linux seems to be not
: UNIX...Unix...unix?

a real unix? hmm, that's getting religous. ask whoever owns the unix copyright.

: Is there some one out there with answers to these questions?

: thanks,
: Frans

just my opinion ...

m.

<Leven> 'everyone who thinks life is about winners and loosers, has lost'

------------------------------

From: "Bob@work" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running a Program
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 09:13:00 -0400

I am trying to run a perl script to add a user. I login as a non privileged
user. i.e. username "bob" and run the script. Obviously I can not run the
script properly as I do not have the permissions to add a user. Can I set
the script to run as root ?

--
Rob Wheeldon
Systems Administrator

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:13:06 GMT

Gunter writes:
> The Mafia is outlawed in the US of A.

No organization is outlawed in the USA.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:37:27 GMT

Graham Daniell wrote:

> I have RH Linux 6.2 installed in a 2 GB partition on my second HDD, as
> well as a DOS partition and some free space left over (970 MB).
>
> I want some more space for Linux, and decided to set up the free space
> for use by Linux.  To do this I ran fdisk and created a new linux
> partition at /dev/hdb6
>
> I now find that I cannot "mount" this partition.  Obviously I have to
> prepare it somehow, similarly to "formatting" a drive in Windows.  Can
> someone tell me how to do this?

mke2fs /dev/hdb6
(or mkdosfs /dev/hdb6 if you want to use t under DOS too)
see also man mkfs

> Also after doing this, how do I set up Linux to automatically mount the
> new partition as, say "/extra" every time Linux starts?

edit your /etc/fstab file

/dev/hdb6               /extra                   ext2    defaults
1 2

make sure the /extra directory exists and is empty, the ext2 must be set
to the filesystem on the partition (can be vfat msdos ext2 etc, again
see manpage for mkfs)

Eric

From: "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Cannot enter yast2 using SuSE 6.4  (and the right password)  ?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:30:24 +0200

I have installed suse 6.4 without any poblems. During installation i had to
fill in a loginname and 2 passwords. One password as a user and one password
as a administartor
1) I cannot loggin as a system administrator (ROOT) using ofcourse the right
password.
2) I can loggin as a user but i cannot enter yast2...(using the right
password as a administrator)

When i want to enter yast and i type my (administartor) password...no
characters (******) appaer on the screen, instead yast shuts down wtithout a
warning.

What is wrong ?

With kind regards, Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Why .bashrc not take effect?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:27:29 GMT

Hi there.

I am using RedHat 6.1 Linux with kernel of 2.2.12.  My shell is bash,
and I edit my ~/.bashrc as following:

# .bashrc
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
        . /etc/bashrc
fi

alias l='ls -l'

However, every time when I login, my .bashrc seems takes no effect at
all.  The mod of .bashrc is 644, same as others.  As a result, I have to
issue a 'source' command manually after each login :(.

What might be the answer?  Thanks.

From: Martin Sillence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Linux on a Dell Poweredge 2450
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 13:53:41 GMT

Hi,

Think you want to get http://ftp1.us.dell.com/utility/rh62dell.zip

Also the directory is browsable:
http://ftp1.us.dell.com/utility/

This took a lot of effort to get a working system.
Lets hope they release the source.

Martin Sillence / Unix/Internet developer / PR Newswire Europe Ltd.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / Tel: 01865 785065 / Fax: 01865 785100
--
For support call 01865 785055
---

------------------------------

From: "Selious" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Need ideas for university funded project for linux
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 16:00:25 +0200

> I am attempting to start a college project and have two of my
>ideas already being worked on. So I wanted to know what other people
>had for suggestions for linux projects? I was thinking of something
>along the lines of a project that would help promote the use of linux.
>What is something that most people could use? Something that could
>make a good 1 year R&D project?

A bizTalk implementation !! Don't let linux get outstandard by M$ on
e-commerce !!

From: Mongoose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:06:55 GMT

  I was thinking, maybe not just servers and stuff, but an application
that windows users have but linux doesn't. Something that would give
windows users more of an incentive to move to linux, or help them
migrate to linux.