Linux-Misc Digest #499, Volume #26                Sat, 9 Dec 00 03:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for  (David)
  Re: 'find' errors after setting up software RAID ("Scott M. Navarre")
  GNome on Caldera e-desktop (David Liana)
  limiting buffer cache ("Fred")
  LPRng setup help ("Jess Jackson")
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("Ned Harkey")
  Re: GNome on Caldera e-desktop (munke)
  Re: Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom (Bob Martin)
  Re: Newbie - "Unable to initialize modem" (Bob Martin)
  What is the command to  . . . ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: What is the command to  . . . ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  'No such file or directory' (Eugene Grayver)
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD (Scott Sanbeg)
  Re: accessing NTFS partition from Linux ("Eric en Jolanda")
  Re: How to change a user password with one command or script? (Alexei Kichkine)
  Re: MySql is Unstable (Alexei Kichkine)
  Re: hdh: <3>ide-scsi unsupported command dev 22:40 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows again?
("Eric en Jolanda")
  Re: kdm (or xdm) & redhat logo (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Kernel won't mount raid0 (solved) (moonie;))
  Re: 'No such file or directory' (E J)
  Chkconfig --add ??? how? ("Flej Ling")

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:34:21 -0600

misterbooboo wrote:

> I have a 6GB HD split half for RH7 and half for Win95.
>
> I want to rid myself of Linux and rededicate the entire HD to Win95.
>
> How do I do this?
>
> Win's fdisk will not get me there as far as I can tell.
>
> Specifics appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> Jon - I love Jesus Christ
> http://www.jonsplace.org/

To uninstall from a running linux system do the following.

     boot into linux.
     login as root
     /sbin/lilo -u
     fdisk /dev/hda    # or sda depending on your hard drive.
     delete all linux partitions
     quit and save changes
     reboot with a DOS/windoz boot disk.
     enter:  fdisk /MBR

You will need to format the partition or drive back to a DOS/windows
format

OR:

Use the installation boot disk & CD

    Use the installation boot disk and CD to boot the system and follow
through the install up to the partitioning section. Delete all linux
partitions and then choose the "Back" button and save the changes when
asked. Then reboot the system with a windows boot disk and do a:

fdisk /MBR

You will have to format the disk backto the DOS format.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than 98.873% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 'find' errors after setting up software RAID
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 05:54:02 GMT

  Yes, I am very familiar with permissions and therefore I totally agree
with what you said about how it should work.
  However: I am sorry that I was not specific enough in my question, but
this IS happening while I am logged in as root - hence my original
concern...

thanks again,
  Scott

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: David Liana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux
Subject: GNome on Caldera e-desktop
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:51:59 -0500

I have downloaded all the gnome files from:
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/caldera/i386/ in rpm format.
Installed all of them.
I cant load Gnome because it says its missing a libjpeg file, yet i have
all the jpeg libraries installed.

Any help?

------------------------------

From: "Fred" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: limiting buffer cache
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 22:10:46 -0800

        Hi everyone,
             I'm having trouble limiting the buffercache on our server. It's
got 1GB of ram and I'm trying to get an Oracle 8.1.6 database to work well
on it. Here is the output of free  on bootup:

                  total         used          free        shared    buffers
cached
MEM:   1036168    130376    905792    91032      10048      57428
-/+ buffers/cache:  62900      973268
swap:    540104              0      530104

after using the server for a while here is the output of free:

                  total         used          free        shared
buffers       cached
MEM:   1036168    1026736    9432       191336     100104      439332
-/+ buffers/cache:  487300      548868
swap:    530104          660        529444

      It seems like the buffercache is eating up way too much of our memory.
Oracle already has about 400MB for SGA and buffers.  The Database runs
horribly slow. After a reboot it's fast and gradually gets slower as the
Buffers increase. I tried using the following script in the rc.d:

echo "2 15 15" >/proc/sys/vm/pagecache
echo "2 10 15" >/proc/sys/vm/buffercache

        this gave me the following output for free after using the system a
while:

                  total         used          free        shared    buffers
cached
MEM:   1036168    993920    42248       29368      14584     937104
-/+ buffers/cache:    42232     993936
swap:    530104           22364      507740

              This seems even worse so I removed the script from
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d
As far as I can tell I need to learn how to properly tune the buffer/cache,
the 937104 showing up there never got released. Any input on solutions to
this is greatly appreciated.

Platform:  DEL poweredge 8450 (4way p3-700xenon), Redhat 6.2SMP, Oracle
8.1.6, 1GB ram

------------------------------

From: "Jess Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LPRng setup help
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:17:18 GMT

I am a relative newbee to Linux and am tryting to get LPRng 3.6.26 running
properly on my Dell PC. I have an Epson 740 Inkjet connected via the
parallel port. ASCII print directly is to the port is OK. But I cannot get
the ASCII or PS tests to work and cannot print from applications. I hope
someone here can help me.

Thanks,
Jess

Below are the output of the "checkpc -f," "Status of Print Queues," and the
dump of my printcap file. Hope this helps.
_______________

Ignore any errors related to filter permissions and
          fix any remaining errors below.

Results of Configuration Validation using 'checkpc -f'

Warning - 'if' filter '/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/master-filter' does not
have execute perms

                              Status of Print Queues

(status unavailable for queues which act only as a local client, and not a
server)
======

Printer 'all@Dell733@home' - cannot open connection - No route to host
Make sure LPD server is running on the server

PRINTCAP file

Printcap File (for debugging purposes only)

# Dummy Printcap file
# VERSION=3.6.26
##LPRNGTOOL## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor stc740p {}
lp
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
:sh
:ml=0
:mx=0
:af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct
:lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log
:cd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
:lp=/dev/lp0
:if=/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters/master-filter
:

------------------------------

From: "Ned Harkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for windows
again?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:19:16 GMT

The easiest way is to use PowerQuest's PartitionMagic. With it you can
remove the Linux partition then resize the Windows partition until it fills
the drive. Then (if you were running Lilo for dual boot) boot from a floppy
and run "fdisk /mbr" to replace the boot record. All of this without
damaging the files on your Windows partition and totally avoiding a time
consuming re-install.
http://www.logicsouth.com/~ned213/indx.html

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: munke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: GNome on Caldera e-desktop
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:29:36 -0800

David Liana wrote:

> I have downloaded all the gnome files from:
> ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/caldera/i386/ in rpm format.
> Installed all of them.
> I cant load Gnome because it says its missing a libjpeg file, yet i have
> all the jpeg libraries installed.
>
> Any help?

the best gnome window manager install i've ever used is Helix Code.  Easy
install with Caldera and other distros.

            http://www.helixcode.com

follow the download instructions and yer dun.

very fast install over BB......plus kewl update utility and bug report
tool.

munke:-p

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:37:35 GMT

Tom Voltaggio wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Portege with a Port NW24XCD PCMCIA cdrom.
> I want to install Redhat 6.1.  I boot DOS and run rawrite
> and copy the pcmcia.img to my boot disk.  When I boot and
> try to install, the pcmcia driver is loaded fine.  However
> when I get to screen where I must choose where the redhat
> files are located for installation, it doesn't show the
> cdrom drive; only the hard drives.  Apparently, Linux can't
> find the cd rom drive during the install.  How can I tell
> Linux the irq and other configuration items of the cd rom
> before Linux is actually installed?  The image file
> apparently doesn't do it.

It's not linux, it's the RH install. I have not had any of the RH 6.x
distros to install on my laptop with an external pcmcia cdrom, RH 5.2
installed on the same hardware with no problems. I got around it by
creating a DOS partition big enough to hold the RH directory, copied the
files from the cd. Then during the install selected to install from hard
drive.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie - "Unable to initialize modem"
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:39:41 GMT

Beldar wrote:

> Trying to effect a dialup connection under RH7.0, I'm getting the error
> "Unable to initialize modem".  I'm clueless.  I've got a Lucent WinModem on
> COM3, so I'm using /dev/tty/s02.  It ain't workin'.  Can anybody help?
> Thanx.

Like you said, "it ain't workin". winmodems, as the name implies, only
work windoze. You'll need to get a real modem.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: What is the command to  . . . ?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:43:15 GMT

What is the command to find the occurance of a string in a group of
files in a directory?

I vaguely remember it being find with a grep pipe I think.

thanks
 charles

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: What is the command to  . . . ?
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 07:05:13 GMT

nm i got it

grep -e pattern -lr ./*  seems to work

------------------------------

From: Eugene Grayver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: 'No such file or directory'
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:15:39 -0800

Hello,

I have just upgraded from redhat 6.1 to redhat 7.0.  I did a clean
install, reformatting my / partition and leaving just the /home intact.
Now, a few applications do no run!  I get an error such as:

./bin/matlab: /usr/local/matlab5/bin/lnx86/matlab: No such file or
directory

while the file is clearly there.  It also happens to a program I
compiled on the previous version that ran just fine.  My guess is that
some dynamic link library is missing.  Does anyone have any idea how to
check this?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Eugene.

------------------------------

From: Scott Sanbeg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 07:19:10 GMT

Sometimes on a large disk, the Linux partition will appear as extended -=
=20
say, /dev/hda1.  If more than one filesystem is created on that disk,=20
say, /dev/hda5, then to DOS, this appears as a logical drive within the =

extended partition.  However, with DOS fdisk it reports that you cannot =

delete an extended partition while logical drives are present... Check t=
o=20
view logical drives and none show.  This is the trouble.
Scott

On 12/8/00, 8:30:38 PM, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding Re: H=
ow=20
do I totally remove Linux from hard drive to use whole HD for  windows=20
again?:

------------------------------

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: accessing NTFS partition from Linux
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 08:10:04 +0100

> I have installed Linux and NT in one machine. Is there any way, I can
> access the Ntfs partion from Linux system.
>
> Please give the detailed procedure for that if possible.

1) get ntfs.o module
2) (compile it if needed)
3) insmod ntfs.o
4) mount NT partition

Beware, that ntfs write support is VERY EXPERIMENTAL. Use this thing only
for read access. If you want to share data between NT and linux, use a FAT
formatted partition.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Alexei Kichkine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to change a user password with one command or script?
Date: 09 Dec 2000 11:28:26 +0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Witkowski) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to change a user password with one script or one command only
> with parameters and not by writing it into the running program ( like
> with passwd ). For example: "script USERNAME OLDPASSWORD NEWPASSWORD"
>
> How can I do it????

chpasswd

--

Best regards, Alexei Kichkine

------------------------------

From: Alexei Kichkine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MySql is Unstable
Date: 09 Dec 2000 11:39:22 +0500

Kim Houlne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> We are in the process of redesigning a couple of database programs on
> our website.  We use the Linux platform.  One the the programmers that
> we received a bid from states " that when using MySql on Linux it is
> slow and changes are hard to make.  We can make it work by hardcoding,
> but it is not scalable.  Also MySql is not set up to be a business level
> database.
>
> How valid do you think this statement is?  And, if it is not valid can
> you tell me why?

We have been using MySQL databases for about one and half year. And some of
tables in our databases have more than 1 000 000 records.

As the matter of fact MySQL one of the fastest database ( i've  ever seen ;-) )
And it's certainly stable...

But of course it is not suitable for buisness application, as far as
Mysql doesnot implement transactions...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: hdh: <3>ide-scsi unsupported command dev 22:40
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 07:22:43 GMT

All of the hardware appears to be functioning well by the way.

It would appear that some process is issuing a command that identifies
or reads partition tables . . .

. . . of which the hdh (sda) device (atapi zip drive) does not like
the command and ide-scsi is reporting it.

Any ideas how to figure out or does anybody know what program is doing
the Partition check?

charles

------------------------------

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 08:19:18 +0100

> This is what the RH site says, however, I do not have an install floppy.
Can
> I not use the CD somehow?
>
> If not, how do I make an install floppy?
>
> (I tried this with a RH7 CDR using "expert" but although it said it saved
> partition deletions to disk, it obviously did not do so - per DOS fdisk
> after rebooting)

I don't know if RH7.0 has the option on CD, but try:
'linux rescue' at the lilo prompt.

Otherwise, try to install again, ctrl-alt-FXXX to a shell and run fdisk
manually.
reboot and off you go.
You will may have to FDISK.EXE /MBR in DOS afterwards, to remove  LILO code
from the MBR (But you didn't have a problem there yet, so I guess it's not
needed in your case)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: kdm (or xdm) & redhat logo
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:52:21 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anybody know how to get rid of the redhat logo when using kdm, or
> xdm as a graphical login using Redhat 6.2 ?
>
> Ive looked everywhere through the /etc/X11/xdm files, and any others I
> have found that may be relavent but to no avail.

Run the kdmconfig program and use it to change the logo. Otherwise, you
can edit the kdmrc file (/opt/kde/share/config/kdmrc on my system) and
change the "LogoPixmap" entry to change the logo.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel won't mount raid0 (solved)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 02:45:43 -0500

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

>That's what you need. Even then you will get at most a 30% speedup
>(I've measured).

>Peter

So have I, transfer rates on my separate disks are 19.5mb/s and 23mb/s, on my
RAID 0 striped arrays it is 38mb/s, thats a little more than 30%.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)
ICQ #83003404
AIM mooniesdl3
MSN [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: 'No such file or directory'
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 07:44:07 GMT

The matlab is requesting a file or directory that does not exist.
If matlab is a script, find what file or directory it is asking for.
If matlab is binary, it would be hard to find out what file or directory
it is asking for.

------------------------------

From: "Flej Ling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Chkconfig --add ??? how?
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:07:56 -0800

I have installed Apache web server and start it via the command
"/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd". However, I want it to be run on every boot up
so I try to add it via "chkconfig".

I have tried the following and none of these commands work:

chkconfig  --add  httpd
chkconfig  --add  /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd

Every time I get the message "error reading information on service httpd: No
such file or directory"

What file or directory is missing?

Thanks for help,
Flej Ling