From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist)
Subject: Re: looking for linux compatible external modem
Date: 20 Aug 2000 00:05:07 GMT

it took all the AT commands and responded accordingly.  it dialed, it
even made the connection.  but once the connection established,
communication between the computer and modem stuck.  it displayed "~ >q",
and nothing could be done from there.  even "+++" wouldn't work.
also tested with a DOS box, same result.
that was why i suspected some sort of drivers were needed, so i called
tech support to confirm my suspicion.

M. Buchenrieder ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist) writes:
:
: >model #005686-03.
:
: This is a standard V.90 external faxmodem.
:
: >i couldn't get it to work.  i called there tech
: >support, and he confirmed it "does need the driver", and my model will
: >NOT work without the driver..
:
: Rubbish. Even the USR homepage confirms that this model can be used
: in DOS - without any driver; the HW requirements are just for using the
: E-commerce software that they're distributing in the bundle.
:
: >then he gave me specific models that would
: >work with linux.
:
: >now, don't say what i say is nonsense!
:
: [...]
:
: A standard serial modem doesn't need any driver. The only serial
: modems that DO indeed need drivers were the RIP modems that were
: sold some years ago, but these aren't available anymore.
:
: From what I see, this modem should work just fine on any RS-232
: compatible port. That's why I asked what you tried to get it
: working.
:
: Michael
: --
: Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
:           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
:     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring the internet
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:26:20 -0500

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, WME quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:50:36 GMT
~~ From: WME <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: Configuring the internet
~~
~~ I'm using Slackware 7.1 and GNOME. I have configured the PPP Dialer ; the
~~ DNS, phone, username, password, etc
~~
~~ I also configured Linux for networking using "netconfig", but I can't
~~ connect to the internet. I get disconnected after username/password
~~ verification. I noticed that the PPP Dialer has "username" and "remote
~~ username". What is the difference?

  Not too sure, after using a cable modem, I really don't use pppd
anymore.  However, if your modem is set up properly, and you run
'pppsetup' and answer all the questions properly.  And you went
through 'netconfig' and answered all those questions properly, I do
not see why you can't dial up.  However, you should be configuring
your dial up workstation as an RFC 1918 address (192.168.xxx.xxx
for class C), unless the machine is 'connected'.  Then just use
'ppp-on' as root to connect, and 'ppp-off' to disconnect.  You can
set up sudo to do this as a regular user.  If you are using the
name parameter to pppd then this MUST be done as root, if you
are not, then you can probably set up a dialup group and delegate
priveledges as necessary.

  One quick question, about the "username" and "remote username",
are you sure that you don't mean "name" and "remotename", if so
then 'man pppd', which would probably be a good idea anyway.

Regards,

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:33:41 GMT

> Breaking things and having others fix them is always fun, innit?
> I don't know what type of troubleshooting you're training people on,
> server/workstation/install+config of HW?  Anyway, suggestions:

Yes it will be fun to see them scratching their heads ;)
Basicly it will be the Server installation + X-windows.
Sorry for not giving more details, the people is Linux beginners but
are good at e.g. Netware and Windows NT, 90% of them are MCSE.
HW: Intel based Servers with hardware Raid adapter, NIC's and DDS4
tapedrive, basicly a server ;)

> 0.  Munge symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc.5/ so essential services don't
start
> at boot, have 'em fix without rebooting.

Thats a good one, that will make them think of features not present in
e.g. WinNT.

> 1.  Do a search on this NG for "X font problem" and try to repeat the
> RedHat "can't start X font server" problem.  Don't know why this is RH
> specific, but it appears to be.
> 2.  Mangle config files in interesting ways.  /etc/X11/XF86Config for
> starters, probably httpd.conf as well.

We will be focused on servers, so troubleshooting around server
specific issues would be of most value, e.g. mess with services like
httpd.conf.

> 3.  Trash the RPM database and have 'em try to install something.
Then
> show how to recover from that.

That could be interesting.

> 4.  Provide everyone with a copy of Tom's RootBoot.
Nuke /boot/vmlinuz.

Haven't tried it myself, have to look into that, do you have URL's to
RootBoot and HOWTO's ?

> 5.  Compile a kernel the wrong way--that is, without ELF binary
support
> or ext2 filesystem support.  Show them what happens.  Illustrate the
> wisdom of keeping a known good kernel available in /etc/lilo.conf.

this is a realy good one, to demonstrate it you could simply put the
wrong version of the raidadapter module and use that initrd-file.
I've tried it so that would point at the same wisdom of having a
working set of vmlinuz and initrd files in backup.

> If you *REALLY* want to put people through the wringer,
>
> 6.  rm -f /lib/libc-2.1.3.so  and have them recover the system without
> rebooting and reinstalling.  It's possible, but if anyone can manage
it
> without reading a basic guide to the whole process, they're seriously
> good.

I think that is a bit over their heads, mine too at the moment ;)
I don't want to scare them so that they are reluctant to investigate
the OS any further.

I find Linux very interesting mostly because I've learned alot but I
find myself constantly scratching my head with new things.
Though there was a big learning curve at the beginning, mostly because
all the options that were available and of course the new filesystem
structure.

/Fredrik

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newsgroup reader???
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:42:17 GMT

Don writes:
> It would be a real hassle to try to read and reply to Usenet off-line.

Strange: I would find it a real hassle to read and reply to Usenet on-line.
Every time I wanted to read news I would have to make sure the phone wasn't
busy, wait for the link to come up, wait while the articles downloaded, and
rush to get done and off the phone without tying it up for too long.

But then, I also would find it a hassle to read news with a Web browser.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:51:42 -0500

On 19 Aug 2000, Dances With Crows quoth:

~~ Date: 19 Aug 2000 23:23:15 GMT
~~ From: Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:53:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
~~ >I'm going to supervise a workshop were some extent of the workshop will
~~ >relate to troubleshooting Linux (Red Hat).
~~ >I would like some tips on how to simulate errors in RH, of course there
~~ >is the usual set_a_bad_ip_address errors that is included in most
~~ >courses.
~~ >What I'm after is something that preferably isn't fatal to the
~~ >installation but is a bit harder then simply type ifconfig and find the
~~ >problem.
~~ >I'm not a trainer it's just that I know more about Linux than the
~~ >others so it fell on my lap to introduce my collegues to Linux.
~~
~~ Breaking things and having others fix them is always fun, innit?
~~ I don't know what type of troubleshooting you're training people on,
~~ server/workstation/install+config of HW?  Anyway, suggestions:
~~
~~ 0.  Munge symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc.5/ so essential services don't start
~~ at boot, have 'em fix without rebooting.
~~ 1.  Do a search on this NG for "X font problem" and try to repeat the
~~ RedHat "can't start X font server" problem.  Don't know why this is RH
~~ specific, but it appears to be.
~~ 2.  Mangle config files in interesting ways.  /etc/X11/XF86Config for
~~ starters, probably httpd.conf as well.
~~ 3.  Trash the RPM database and have 'em try to install something.  Then
~~ show how to recover from that.
~~ 4.  Provide everyone with a copy of Tom's RootBoot.  Nuke /boot/vmlinuz.
~~ Have the students get everything back to a working state.
~~ 5.  Compile a kernel the wrong way--that is, without ELF binary support
~~ or ext2 filesystem support.  Show them what happens.  Illustrate the
~~ wisdom of keeping a known good kernel available in /etc/lilo.conf.
~~
~~ If you *REALLY* want to put people through the wringer,
~~
~~ 6.  rm -f /lib/libc-2.1.3.so  and have them recover the system without
~~ rebooting and reinstalling.  It's possible, but if anyone can manage it
~~ without reading a basic guide to the whole process, they're seriously
~~ good.

Some sadistic yet unrelated things to do:

touch -- -r\ \*

Then have a beginner remove the file. :-)

mkdir ..\[space]

One of those great cracker tricks, it correlary being:

mkdir .,

These are great places to put exploit binaries and SUID root shells.
At least these are some of the tricks I found while admin'ing an ISP.
Crackerz love ISP's for some reason.  I hate Crackerz.

More on topic, munging the passwd file is always classic.  As is playing
tricks with ld.so, such as incorrectly setting an incorrect LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and screwing up /etc/ld.so.conf.  Have a user mess up their terminal by say,
cat'ing /bin/login, then make em recover.. (echo CTRL+v CTRL+o).  Another good
one is to rm /etc/group.  Or hose /etc/fstab.. Ahh hell the possibilities are
endless.

Good Luck!

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:23:45 -0500

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Luc Van Bogaert quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:59:09 GMT
~~ From: Luc Van Bogaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:05:37 -0700, MH wrote:
~~
~~ >> Ok, it is no easy question, but which distribution is the best in your eyes.
~~ >> I search one that works well with GNOME.
~~ >>
~~ >> Thanks
~~ >
~~ >You're right. It's not an easy question. It's a <stupid> question. Don't
~~ >you have anything better to do?
~~
~~ You're wrong : there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers and
~~ you just gave one yourself.

You don't think it is a little bit stupid to come into a Linux NG
and ask which is the best distribution?  Not only is it stupid, it
is inflammatory.  It is the equivalent of going into comp.editors
and asking what is the best editor.  You will get many who say
RedHat, Slackware, Debian, Storm, etc...  Each person will give you
their reasons for their distribution being the 'best'.  In the end
it will be you who has to use it, so instead of starting a holy war
here, why don't you do some research for yourself and not bug the NG
with inflammatory questions.

~~ So, any recommedations for a good (or let's call it the best) Linux
~~ distribution?

OpenBSD. :-)

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:25:57 -0700

WME wrote:

> I'm using Slackware 7.1 and GNOME. I have configured the PPP Dialer ; the
> DNS, phone, username, password, etc
>
> I also configured Linux for networking using "netconfig", but I can't
> connect to the internet. I get disconnected after username/password
> verification. I noticed that the PPP Dialer has "username" and "remote
> username". What is the difference?

Sounds like you're blowing it in the ISP login a& authentication.
What you need to do is watch the exchange in detail.  Different
dialers do this differently but the instructions are usually pretty
clear.  Watch where the handshake breaks down and it shouldn't be
too hard to figure out what's wrong.

--
| Bogus as it might seem, people, this really is a deliverable       |
| e-mail address.  Of course, there isn't REALLY a lumber cartel.    |

------------------------------

From: "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:26:32 GMT

> I do
> not see why you can't dial up.

I can dialup, but after password verification, I get "The pppd daemon died
unexpectedly"

>   One quick question, about the "username" and "remote username",
> are you sure that you don't mean "name" and "remotename", if so
> then 'man pppd', which would probably be a good idea anyway.

Yes, it's "username" and "remote username". What difference does it make,
it's probably the same thing. What does it mean? Why do we have two?

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie : which Linux distribution?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:40:36 -0400

"Martin Skjöldebrand" wrote:

> ==> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Luc Van
>Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>     Luc> Hi, I'm an experienced user of OS/2 and I'd like to get a
>     Luc> taste of Linux, with which I have no experience whatsoever,
>     Luc> except for having seen it run on other users computers :-)
>
>     Luc> I'm planning to install Linux on my old P166 which has 64 MB
>     Luc> RAM and all legacy hardware.
>
>     Luc> I'd prefer to buy a distribution with Linux on CD for
>     Luc> conveniance and I was wondering what would be the recommended
>     Luc> distribution to get.
>
>     Luc> I've seen and heard of Mandrake 7.1, SUSE, Red Hat, Corel
>     Luc> Linux etc. I seem to have developed a slight preference for
>     Luc> Mandrake, but what about the others. I assume RedHat is still
>     Luc> considered being the "standard"?  Corel Linux seems to have
>     Luc> some interesting tools for installation and file management,
>     Luc> but what about stability?
>
> I've used RH since 5.1 and recently changed to Mandrake. I think
> Mandrake is much more polished than RH. They share the same base but
> the Mandrake guys (and lasses) have done a good job making it sleeker,
> faster and more user friendly. And it has a very neat installation routine.

My first experience with Linux was with Red Hat Linux 5.0 that I installed on a P166
machine with 64 Megabytes RAM. I added a
4.3GByte hard drive for Linux so it would not mess up my Windows 95 stuff on the other
hard drive. It worked just fine. About a
year later, I upgraded to Red Hat Linux 6.0 that came with GNOME/Enlightenment. I
liked that a whole lot better than the fvwm or
whatever window manager I used with R.H.L.5.0. I am still running that on that machine
(with lots of rpm's installed, of course).

This machine I got from VA Linux Systems. It came with Red Hat Linux 6.0
pre-installed, and it comes with both KDE and
GNOME/Enlightenment. KDE was the default, and I did not like it for a bunch of minor
reasons (YMMV). I had to re-install it
almost right away because I did not like the partitioning that it came with. In
particular, I wanted to increase the size of the
/ partition, and move /home to the other hard drive. Since I had no files of my own on
the machine, it was easier to re-install
the thing than to figure out some other way to go about it. The install took about 15
minutes. It is a lot easier to install than
5.0. Perhaps the VA Linux Systems version of R.H.L.6.0 is easier to install than other
distributions. I would not know.

Just something else to consider.

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question: Dont want to use ./
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:46:42 -0400

David Efflandt wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:27:31 +0200, FREDRIK LINDSTRÖM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Porting a Tcp/Ip router from OS/2 to Linux RedHat 6.2 that I have written in
> >C. After compiling and the linking I can only run the application if I use
> >./ before the pgm-name. Is there some way to change this so that I only need
> >to write "PGM-NAME" instead of "./PGM-NAME"?
> >
> >Regards
> >/Fredrik
>
> Yes, safest is to put the program in one of the directories in your PATH.
> Or you could put . in your PATH, but how to do that depends upon your
> shell.
>
> For example in ~/.bashrc you could put:
>
> export PATH="$PATH:."

You could do that, but it is really bad security to have a dot in your path. You
are asking for trouble from Trojan Horses who will ride all over you. So follow
David Efflandt's other advice and put the program in /usr/local/bin or somewhere.
If you do not have authority to put it there, put it in your own $HOME/bin. (That
directory should be writable only by you.)

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Notice:
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:51:01 -0400

"David .." wrote:

> Installing the new netscape 4.75 places a link on the desktop for AOL.
> ads.web.aol.com

I just installed 4.75 a few minutes ago. It put no link on my desktop.
Desktop is GNOME/Enlightenment on top of Red Hat Linux 6.0.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: killproc
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:56:02 -0400

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd contains the following two lines:
> killproc httpd
> killproc httpd -HUP
>
> I noticed this "killproc" because I used my own little scripts for doing
> things like this. Strangely, however, "killproc" was not found in my
> Redhat6.2 distribution.
>
> Weird, huh?
>
> Wroot
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Look in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions . It is defined in there and included in
a lot of other files of /etc/rc.d/init.d .

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:02:53 -0400

Jean-David Beyer-valinux wrote:

> "Martin Skjöldebrand" wrote:
>
> > ==> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Luc Van
>Bogaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >     Luc> Hi, I'm an experienced user of OS/2 and I'd like to get a
> >     Luc> taste of Linux, with which I have no experience whatsoever,
> >     Luc> except for having seen it run on other users computers :-)
> >
> >     Luc> I'm planning to install Linux on my old P166 which has 64 MB
> >     Luc> RAM and all legacy hardware.
> >
> >     Luc> I'd prefer to buy a distribution with Linux on CD for
> >     Luc> conveniance and I was wondering what would be the recommended
> >     Luc> distribution to get.
> >
> >     Luc> I've seen and heard of Mandrake 7.1, SUSE, Red Hat, Corel
> >     Luc> Linux etc. I seem to have developed a slight preference for
> >     Luc> Mandrake, but what about the others. I assume RedHat is still
> >     Luc> considered being the "standard"?  Corel Linux seems to have
> >     Luc> some interesting tools for installation and file management,
> >     Luc> but what about stability?
> >
> > I've used RH since 5.1 and recently changed to Mandrake. I think
> > Mandrake is much more polished than RH. They share the same base but
> > the Mandrake guys (and lasses) have done a good job making it sleeker,
> > faster and more user friendly. And it has a very neat installation routine.
>
> My first experience with Linux was with Red Hat Linux 5.0 that I installed on a P166
>machine with 64 Megabytes RAM. I added a
> 4.3GByte hard drive for Linux so it would not mess up my Windows 95 stuff on the
>other hard drive. It worked just fine. About a
> year later, I upgraded to Red Hat Linux 6.0 that came with GNOME/Enlightenment. I
>liked that a whole lot better than the fvwm or
> whatever window manager I used with R.H.L.5.0. I am still running that on that
>machine (with lots of rpm's installed, of course).
>
> This machine I got from VA Linux Systems. It came with Red Hat Linux 6.0
>pre-installed, and it comes with both KDE and
> GNOME/Enlightenment. KDE was the default, and I did not like it for a bunch of minor
>reasons (YMMV). I had to re-install it
> almost right away because I did not like the partitioning that it came with. In
>particular, I wanted to increase the size of the
> / partition, and move /home to the other hard drive. Since I had no files of my own
>on the machine, it was easier to re-install
> the thing than to figure out some other way to go about it. The install took about
>15 minutes. It is a lot easier to install than
> 5.0. Perhaps the VA Linux Systems version of R.H.L.6.0 is easier to install than
>other distributions. I would not know.
>
> Just something else to consider.

One of the disadvantages of Netscape Communicator 4.75 seems to be that it ignores my
setting Edit->Preferences->Mail &
Newsgroups->Messages where I set maximum output line width to 64 characters. It
obviously spilled way over on the above message. 8-(

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 20 Aug 2000 02:08:08 GMT

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:33:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> 2.  Mangle config files in interesting ways.  /etc/X11/XF86Config for
>> starters, probably httpd.conf as well.
>We will be focused on servers, so troubleshooting around server
>specific issues would be of most value, e.g. mess with services like
>httpd.conf.

Ah!  Another good one to fiddle with is /etc/inetd.conf , naturally.  Or
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts (/etc/hosts == %SYSTEMROOT%\LMHOSTS if
they like that better...)

>> 4.  Provide everyone with a copy of Tom's RootBoot.  Nuke /boot/vmlinuz.
>Haven't tried it myself, have to look into that, do you have URL's to
>RootBoot and HOWTO's ?

http://www.toms.net/rb/
However, I spoke without thinking.  Tom's can do many things, but I
don't know if it can replace a compressed kernel image, since it uses
libc5 and what I was thinking of might fail horribly.  I was thinking
you could do this:
  mount /dev/hda1 /mnt       (standard)
  chroot /mnt /bin/sh        (change / , run sh!)
  cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig dep clean bzlilo
and just reboot after all that's over.  I don't know if that'll actually
work, and I can't really test it out just now....

>> 6.  rm -f /lib/libc-2.1.3.so  and have them recover the system without
>> rebooting and reinstalling.  It's possible, but if anyone can manage
>> without reading a basic guide to the whole process, they're seriously
>> good.
>I think that is a bit over their heads, mine too at the moment ;)
>I don't want to scare them so that they are reluctant to investigate
>the OS any further.

Yeah.  If you want, I'll send you the original article that prompted
that under separate cover--it's seriously scary, and shows that some
people know too much about the guts of Unix systems....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.