Linux-Misc Digest #740, Volume #25               Tue, 12 Sep 00 04:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Stalling (Glitch)
  Re: Set Xterm's default font. (Bob Tennent)
  Re: Linux Performance w/ DSL??? (Jerry L Kreps)
  Help with Microsoft Server extensions (Dave LaPorte)
  Re: mpeg player for linux? (Raminder Singh Gill)
  POP & SMTP servers ("Hog Rider")
  Booting DOSLinux from the "Restart in MSDOS" mode of Win9x - network card doesn't
work (Kenny McCormack)
  wvdial problem (Hypnotist)
  Re: Problems with e2fsck (muzh)
  fixing garbled display (Quentin Christensen)
  Re: Problems with e2fsck (Reid Rivenburgh)
  XFree86-4.0.1 src rpm build problem (Praedor Tempus)
  Re: Alias in a shell skript (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: umount: /usr: device busy (Davide Bianchi)
  Re: Java ? (Davide Bianchi)
  Netcard FA310TX (Netgear) (massimo)
  Re: Set Xterm's default font. ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: fixing garbled display ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Correct way to trim logfiles? (Koos Pol)
  java40.jar netscape (Guy-Armand Kamendje)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows ("Ingemar Lundin")
  Re: What's eating my disk space? (Rob Ristroph)
  Re: Correct way to trim logfiles? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  shutduwn problems (Rafael Przybyszewski)
  Netcard FA310TX (Netgear) (Mustafa Bashir)
  Re: no such file or directory (Andreas Kahari)

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 22:34:13 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Stalling

Do your logs say anything?????
some more info would be helpful

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Set Xterm's default font.
Date: 12 Sep 2000 02:14:09 GMT

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:45:42 -0400, qiao wrote:

 >    Every time i run the Xterm,it's default font is small.I can change
 >it to the large font by press the key Ctrl+mouse right button to invoke
 >the popup menu 'VT fonts',and select the item 'Large'.I wonder if i
 >can set the default font to large in some rc file,so the default fonts
 >can
 >always be the one that i want.

Edit .Xdefaults in your home directory and add a line as follows:

*font: 9x15

Or try

*font: -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The next time you start an X session, you should have the specified font as
your default.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Performance w/ DSL???
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:36:04 -0500

Hal and the others who replied,
Thanks!
Well, it seems my adsl is doing fine by most opinions.  I thought so too, but
being greedy for speed I wanted to make sure.
Hal, thanks for the URL.
Jerry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave LaPorte)
Subject: Help with Microsoft Server extensions
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:51:45 GMT

   I am trying to understand how to set up the server extensions on my
RedHat Linux v6.0 box.  I have apache set up and running, and I have
successfully installed the Server extensions ( ie:  I got to the end
of the script without any errors - I hope that means it was sucessful
) by running the script.
        What do I do next.  I have those _vti dirs installed in the
root web dir, but How do I activate ie: use them, so I can publish a
web with frontpage 2000.
        I apolagize if my questions don't make sense, I am a newbee to
the server side of frontpage 2000

Dave LaPorte

Feel free to email me at work

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:57:02 +0800
From: Raminder Singh Gill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mpeg player for linux?

Copernicus Skygazer wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > In article <8p610n$ka$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti) wrote:
> > > Are there any mpeg players for Linux?
>
> I recommend mpegtv  myself.

know of any serial numbers to register the software?

thanks

------------------------------

From: "Hog Rider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: POP & SMTP servers
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:22:15 -0700

I have a home network using Linux as the router.  I'd like to have my
POP/SMTP clients connect to my router instead of our ISP.  I'm experienced
enough to set up mail forwarding, configure POP servers (once I've read
instructions), etc, etc.

My question:  In searching for POP/SMTP servers to run on my Linux box, I
found about a zillion.  I'd like to know if anyone out there is willing to
share experiences on which one is best.  I'll have very low message volumes
(under 100 per day).  Since all POP/SMTP connections will be made behind the
firewall, I'm not that concerned about people sniffing passwords.  I want to
know which POP/SMTP servers will be reliable.

Any opinions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Rider

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny McCormack)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Booting DOSLinux from the "Restart in MSDOS" mode of Win9x - network card
doesn't work
Date: 11 Sep 2000 23:32:22 -0500

I have installed DOSLinux (a looplinux setup assembled by Kent Robotti) and
it works very well.  Everythings works fine EXCEPT one thing.

DOSLinux is installed in a loop filesystem stored on a Windows 98 machine
VFAT partition.  If I shutdown Windows and reboot the machine, pressing F8
during the bootup, escape to "Safe mode command prompt" and run the batch
file to load DOSLinux, everything works fine.  However, if I choose the
"Restart in MSDOS mode" option and run the looplinux batch file from there,
it all works fine, EXCEPT that the network card doesn't work (in Linux).

When I do the "ifconfig" command to setup the ethernet card, I get the error
message "Resource temporarily unavailable" and there seems to be nothing
that can be done to get the card working again other than to do a full
reboot.  It seems like somehow Windows is not letting go of the card when it
goes into the "MSDOS mode".  It seems to me that there ought to be some kind
of utility, either for DOS or for Linux, that could be used to reset the
card and make it start clean.  If I had a DOS util, I could put it in the
batch file that starts DOSLinux - if I had a Linux util, I could put it in
my startup scripts before the call to "ifconfig".

The machine is a standard desktop machine, with an NE2000 compatible, PCI
ethernet card.  Does anyone know if such a util (to reset the card) exists?

It would really be a lot more convenient for me if I could boot it from the
MSDOS mode instead of having to do a complete Windows shutdown.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hypnotist)
Subject: wvdial problem
Date: 12 Sep 2000 04:36:44 GMT

i can't use <wvdial> when logging in as a non-root user.
the non-root user does have write access to pap-secrets and chap-secrets,
as well as the directory thise files reside.
i got the error message "can't open ttyS1 (the modem port), device is busy".
what gives?

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with e2fsck
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:49:34 +1200

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
Possibly a fsck'd hard disk?
Hope you have a backup --

--
Never trust a man in a suit --

cll

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen)
Subject: fixing garbled display
Date: 12 Sep 2000 05:06:59 GMT

Hello,

Being fairly new to linux, I've found myself looking (cat or more) at lots
of files, just to get an idea of what's where and what I need to play with
to do what (though being careful when i do play :).  Anyway, a couple of
times I've looked at a file I shouldn't have (ie, a binary file of some
sort), and the display becomes garbled - instead of letters I have lines
and those block-drawing characters.

I thought maybe if I 'reload' my font (the way it's loaded in the rc.d
directory in Slackware), that might fix it, but it doesn't do anything -
if I change to different size font, the 'size' changes, but it's still
garbled.

Any suggestions (apart from not 'cat'ting binaries to screen) ?

Regards

Quentin.
--
My Win9x Cursors: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mynx/quentisl/cursors.html
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.

------------------------------

From: Reid Rivenburgh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Sep 2000 23:59:13 -0600

 muzh  writes:

 > Possibly a fsck'd hard disk?  Hope you have a backup --

Well, I can manually mount the partition and everything looks fine, so
I'm hoping it's not some serious fsck....

------------------------------

From: Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree86-4.0.1 src rpm build problem
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:35:41 -0600

I have repeatedly tried to build the XFree86-4.0.1-14mdk
source rpm but have "failed" each time.

This is getting REALLY irritating.  The source is compiled
but binary rpms are NOT the end result.  I am running
Mandrake 7.1, kernel-2.2.17 (compiled from tarball), glibc-
2.1.3-17mdk, rpm-3.0.5.

I CAN build any number of other src.rpms without problem but
this one WILL NOT WORK.  Why?

This is the end of my latest attempt at building the binary
rpm:

Finding  Provides: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides)...
Finding  Requires: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires)...
Provides: gamma_dri.so i810_dri.so mga_dri.so r128_dri.so
Requires: XFree86 ld-linux.so.2 libc.so.6 libdl.so.2 libm.so.6
libGL.so.1 libICE
.so.6 libpthread.so.0 libSM.so.6 libX11.so.6 libXext.so.6 libXi.so.6
libXmu.so.6
 libXt.so.6 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0) libd
l.so.2(GLIBC_2.1) libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
Obsoletes: xserver-wrapper
Processing files: XFree86-glide-module-4.0.1-14mdk
File not found:
/var/tmp/XFree86-root/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glide_drv.oRequires:
XFree86-server = 4.0.1-14mdk
Processing files: XFree86-xfs-4.0.1-14mdk
Finding  Provides: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides)...
Finding  Requires: (using /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires)...
ibc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
Obsoletes: xtt

That's it.  No error messages, no dependency problems, no binary
rpm.  I have initscripts-4.72-13mdk so that is not a problem
either.

I DO NOT want to have to go to the source directory and run
"make install" which ALWAYS works in circumstances such as this.
I WANT THE DAMN RPM!  What. Is. Wrong. Here?  Please, before I
take a hammer to my system, what the hell is wrong with rpm?

praedor

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Alias in a shell skript
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 06:40:13 GMT

ThomasWalz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I set in a shell skript an alias and use it in the
> same skript.

Excerpt from man bash:

       Aliases are not expanded when the shell  is  not  interac-
       tive.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: umount: /usr: device busy
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:00:47 GMT

On 11 Sep 2000 21:36:54 GMT, "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:55:04 -0500, Andrew N. McGuire
>: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:>On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Davide Bianchi quoth:
>:>DB> Ok, I don't know what happened today, but now I can't shutdown the
>:>DB> server (Linux kernel 2.2.17) because the umount keep telling me
>:>DB> that the /usr is busy, so it wont' umount....
>:>DB>
>:>DB> I've already killed all the deamons, basically there is nothing
>:>DB> alive... How can I know what is using /usr ?
>
>Well, if you eliminate all the daemons, what is left is the kernel, and
>kernel threads. Any NFS exports, for example?

Nope.

Weel, I used the fuser command and this is the result:

/usr            m login
                        m bash
                        e fuser

Seems that login and bash uses the /usr filesystem for some mapped
file or shared directory... now I'm investigating what is using into
that filesystem (I suspect some library).

Thanks.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: Java ?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:02:04 GMT

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:32:20 GMT, Martin Racette
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I have installed Linux Mandrake 7.1, and now I need to enable a JAVA JRE
>but I can't make them work or recognize. My last attempt was ot install
>IBM's JRE 1.1.3, but no luck until now
>So how to I do it ?

I don't know the Mandrake, but I installed IBM Java 1.3 on RedHat
without great trouble. Ok, I had to update glibc, thread and
crypt.
What kind of trouble do you have ?

Davide

------------------------------

From: massimo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netcard FA310TX (Netgear)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:12:17 +0200

Hi all,

as a newbie of Linux I hope to get an answer here with my problem.
The problem is my netcard. On my pc i have a linux installed with kernel
2.2.14. But the driver for my nic is compiled for Kernel 2.2.15,
meaning  that if I type insmod Tulip.o it tells me that there is a
Kernel mismatch.

Is there anyway to compile the driver. Or is there anyway to tell the
Kernel to use this driver???

Thanks in advance.

CU
Mustafa Bashir

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Sep 2000 07:13:33 GMT

qiao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:     Every time i run the Xterm,it's default font is small.I can change
: it to the large font by press the key Ctrl+mouse right button to invoke
: the popup menu 'VT fonts',and select the item 'Large'.I wonder if i
: can set the default font to large in some rc file,so the default fonts
: can
: always be the one that i want.

You wonder, and you are right. You might want to look at your
.Xdefaults file. From "man X":

       To make the tailoring of applications to personal  prefer-
       ences  easier,  X provides a mechanism for storing default
       values for program resources (e.g. background color,  win-
       dow  title, etc.)  Resources are specified as strings that
       are read in from various places  when  an  application  is
       run.  Program components are named in a hierarchical fash-

You want a line like:

XTerm*VT100*font:            Fixed

(except different). Look in your app-defaults/XTerm file for
clues.

And then there is always the options on the xterm command line ...

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fixing garbled display
Date: 12 Sep 2000 07:04:57 GMT

Quentin Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Any suggestions (apart from not 'cat'ting binaries to screen) ?

Type "reset" blind.

Alternatively, type "echo ^V^O" blind (those are control chars).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Koos Pol)
Subject: Re: Correct way to trim logfiles?
Date: 12 Sep 2000 07:00:48 GMT

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 08:45:10 -0300, Hans Marcus Krüger
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I am writing a little programm (in perl) to keep my logfiles in order an
| I would like to know how I can copy and then truncate the files beeing
| shure not to loose any single line. The problem is, wehat if syslogd
| writes sometihng to the log just after Icoppied the files and short
| before I truncate it?

You can get away with: (shell iso Perl)
  mv logfile logfile.save
  touch logfile
The timespan between "mv" and "touch" is open for *academic* discussions only.

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam
T:+31 20 3116122   F:+31 20 3116200   E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

------------------------------

From: Guy-Armand Kamendje <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: java40.jar netscape
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:11:15 +0000

I have the following problem. Even though my CLASSPATH is
correct, netscape (Java is active in the preferences) can not find
java40.jar, and is not able to start java
applets. The only copy of java40.jar is locate under
/usr/lib/netscape/java/classes. I symblink it to
/usr/jdk-1.1.6/classes/javar40.jar but it was not enough.
Do anybody have an idea how I can get netscape finding java40.jar?
Thanks for any hint
(I'm running Redhat 6.2 with kde 1.1.2)
Guy-Armand
--
 G.A. Kamendje  || Tel +43 316 873 55 51
 T-U Graz       || www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/g/gaillard/

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:39:01 GMT

no...Steve Jobs where to busy smoking up all the marijuana he could find on
the west coast, so he kind of missed the MS takeover...

/IL

not to be a negative nelly (Sorry, I hate flanders to) but,
coulda-shoulda-woulda: You can argue the same thing towards Mac, if jobs had
aggressively pushed the mac when he had his window of oppurtunity, we'd all
be
using macs now, but Mac never did get pushed, OS/2, same thing, technically
the
superior product of it's time, but IBM is a  hardware company and lacked the
ability to push it's poduct. Amiga is before my time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Ristroph)
Subject: Re: What's eating my disk space?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 07:38:20 GMT

A useful shell function is this (just evaluate it, or put it in your
aliases file)

dusort () {
        du -s "$@" | sort -r -n | awk '{sum+=$1;printf("%9d %9d %s\n",sum,$1,$2)}'
}

It runs the command du on all the arguments and sorts the print out by
size, with a cumulative column as well.  So just go to /, type dusort
*, wait, then go to the biggest directory, or the one which seems to
be bigger than it should, and repeat.

I got this from someone I used to work with, and use it pretty
regularly.

Just in case you don't use zsh or bash, the tcsh variant is:

alias dusort 'du -s \!* | sort -r -n | awk '"'"'{sum+=$1;printf("%9d %9d
%s\n",sum,$1,$2)}'"'"

--Rob

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Sep 2000 07:39:47 GMT

Koos Pol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On Sun, 10 Sep 2000 08:45:10 -0300, Hans Marcus Krueger
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: | I am writing a little programm (in perl) to keep my logfiles in order an
: | I would like to know how I can copy and then truncate the files beeing
: | shure not to loose any single line. The problem is, wehat if syslogd
: | writes sometihng to the log just after Icoppied the files and short
: | before I truncate it?

:   mv logfile logfile.save
:   touch logfile
: The timespan between "mv" and "touch" is open for *academic* discussions only.

Sigh. No no no. Data will continue to be added to logfile.save. The
"touch logfile" does nothing except create an empty file, which
will remain empty. You need to tell syslogd to reopen the logfile,
thus discarding the descriptor it was writing to previously, which
now points to logfile.save.  Man syslogd for more details.

: Koos Pol
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam
: T:+31 20 3116122   F:+31 20 3116200   E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't believe it!

From: Rafael Przybyszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: shutduwn problems
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:41:34 -0700

When I am  telleing (Linux - RedHat 6.2 - 2.2.16-3) system to shutdown
or halt its failing to kill most of the process. It telling me that
proces uid not found. It was okey before, how to corect it. What files
are responsible for this mess. Only last command killall work during
shutdown.

Rafael

------------------------------

From: Mustafa Bashir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:52:11 +0200

Hi all,

as a Newbie in Linux I hope to get some answers here.

I have got a problem with my NIC. I have got Linux installed on my pc
which has got the 2.2.14 Kernel. The driver (Tulip.o) I am using is
compiled for Kernel 2.2.15. Now is there anyway to modify the driver, or
the Kernel.

I typed insmod Tulip.O at the prompt, but it said the there is a kernel
mismatch and the driver didnt installed.

Thanks for any advise.

CU
Mustafa Bashir

------------------------------

Subject: Re: no such file or directory
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 12 Sep 2000 10:09:06 +0100

In article <bmav5.19$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Yelvington  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Andreas Kahari wrote:
>
>> Does the executable file 'quake.x11' really live in the directory
>> where you stand? Try removing the './' from that command line (I think
>> 'quake.x11' is somewhere in your $PATH, but not in your current
>> directory).
>
>Yes, it's in /usr/local/games/quake and I'm in /usr/local/games/quake. All
>of the required files are in the id subdirectory.
>

>--

The look to see if 'quake.x11' is a Perl script (or any other kind of
script). If it is, take a look at the first row, it should say
something on the lines of "#!/usr/bin/perl" or "#!/bin/bash". Make
sure that the path to the program mentioned on he first line is valid.
If it's not, correct it.

I don't think it's a library problem.

/A

--
Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
All junk e-mail will be reported to the appropriate authorities.