From: Chris Leahy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7.1 and 2.4.4 my hd hangs
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:46:46 -0400

==============A856F890E5BE202B312210EB

John Watson wrote:

> I upgraded from 2.2.19 and noticed a horrible problem.  If I do a
> shutdown and my hardrive has went to sleep it hangs on the shutdown file
> systems part.  I never had this problem until 2.4.x.  The command I use
> is hdparm -S 60 /dev/hdb and I am wondering if I need to turn something
> on in the kernel now.
> If anyone can help I would be much appreciative.
>
> Thanks.

Greets John,

I'm a bit confused about your situation. Your subject line indicates you
are using
RedHat 7.1 but your message says you upgraded from kernel version 2.2.19
7.1 comes with kernel 2.4.2
Did you downgrade your kernel at some point?

Why does anyone need to have their hard drive go to sleep anyway?
If you are concerned about wasting energy, turn the system off.
If its a server you wouldnt want the drive to go on standby anyway.

You obviously dont want the system running 24x7 or you wouldnt be shutting
it down.
So leave out the standby settings and just turn the system off if you arent
using it.

Another option is to let the machine "wake up" before you shut it down.

The man page for hdparm says:

> Under such circumstances, the drive may take  as  long  as  30 seconds  to  respond
> a subsequent disk access,

I'd guess you are having a problem because the system is trying to unmount
the filesystems
before the drive is accessable and causes the hang.

 Christopher Leahy              | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 UNIX Systems Administrator     | http://www.zoltanium.com
 Zoltanium (aka /dev/null)      | Voice (610)408-0151

==============A856F890E5BE202B312210EB

John Watson wrote:
If I do a
file
command I use
Greets John,
you are using
it down.
arent using it.
<pre>Under such circumstances, the drive may take&nbsp; as&nbsp; long&nbsp; as&nbsp;
30 seconds&nbsp; to&nbsp; respond&nbsp; to&nbsp;
a subsequent disk access,</pre>

to unmount the filesystems
<pre>--&nbsp;
&nbsp;Christopher
Leahy&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;UNIX Systems Administrator&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | <A
HREF="http://www.zoltanium.com";>http://www.zoltanium.com</A>
&nbsp;Zoltanium (aka /dev/null)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | Voice (610)408-0151
==========================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============A856F890E5BE202B312210EB==

------------------------------

From: "Herbert Samuels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: disk space disappearing
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:47:24 GMT

hi,

i've got a redhat 6.2 system. the space on my /home filesystem is being
reduced by around 20 MB per day and i can't seem to find out what's doing
it.

i've tried the following commands:
find .  -mtime -1 -print -fls files.txt
find /home -mmin 60 -print -ls

but i don't see anything that's growing or even really significant in size.
i figured that it might be some logs, but nothing shows up as having grown
enough in the 24 hours before running the above command to account for the
loss in space.

can anyone give me any pointers regarding variations of the above commands
that might find something i'm overlooking? or any other clues?

so far about 200 megs have disappeared!

thanks in advance!

--

Herbert Samuels
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Subject: Re: How to get zip/unzip program
Date: 29 Apr 2001 17:19:24 GMT

29 Apr 2001 06:18 GMT, Dino Hsu did say to the dudes:
> Dear all,
>
> One of my CD requires unzip to uncompress a file, but I cannot find
> zip/unzip in my Red Hat 6.2, can you tell me how to get them? Thanks

Zip/Unzip are available on the RedHat CD. They didn't get installed by
default on my RH6.0 box, but they are there.

I've just had a quick look on the RH site, both Zip and Unzip are
available to download.

 unzip 5.41 - 3    i386  |  337k  |  Jul 12 2000
 zip 2.3 - 8    i386  |  265k  |  Aug 24 2000

--
Chiefy

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:29:59 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: disk space disappearing

Herbert Samuels wrote:

> hi,
>
> i've got a redhat 6.2 system. the space on my /home filesystem is being
> reduced by around 20 MB per day and i can't seem to find out what's doing
> it.
>
> i've tried the following commands:
> find .  -mtime -1 -print -fls files.txt
> find /home -mmin 60 -print -ls
>
> but i don't see anything that's growing or even really significant in size.
> i figured that it might be some logs, but nothing shows up as having grown
> enough in the 24 hours before running the above command to account for the
> loss in space.
>
> can anyone give me any pointers regarding variations of the above commands
> that might find something i'm overlooking? or any other clues?
>
> so far about 200 megs have disappeared!

Hm, sounds rather strange, are there other users on your box,
who might eat up the space?

Using this command on two days and then running "diff filename1
filename2"
should show something, otherwise, you may have been hacked?

ls -al /home/* > home.`date -I`

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Date: 29 Apr 2001 17:34:15 GMT

29 Apr 2001 16:47 GMT, Herbert Samuels did say to the dudes:
> i've got a redhat 6.2 system. the space on my /home filesystem is being
> reduced by around 20 MB per day and i can't seem to find out what's doing
> it.

Try 'du',

 du -h -c -a /home > outputfile

--
Chiefy

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PCMCIA modem / Lucent / Dynalink / ltmodem568.o
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:23:52 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc David Nowak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I 'insmod' the module ltmodem568.o, it does not work and write:

> ltmodem568.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters

> What does it mean?  What can I do?

It means what it says. The driver doesn't find what it's looking
for where it is looking for it. You can do the obvious things that
derive from that observation ...

> Technical details:
> I have a Dynalink PCMCIA 56K Fax Modem.  The command 'cardctl ident'
> returns:

>   product info: "V90&K56Flex PCMCIA FAX MODEM", "", "", ""

> Under Windows, the driver file is called LTMODEM.VDX.  That is why I
> think I need to use a Lucent driver (I use ltmodem-5.78e.tar.gz).

Yes, but it is hardly a good reason, is it! Go and look up your modem
in linmodems.org. It strikes me that this is possibly not a winmodem,
but the lucent venus chipset, and therefore doesn't need a driver.
Check it out in /proc/pci and via /sbin/lspci.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:29:45 +0200

In comp.os.linux.misc David Nowak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I 'insmod' the module ltmodem568.o, it does not work and write:

Wait! Your subject says "PCMCIA". Please don't hide such facts away only
in the subject line :)!

You can't use the ltmodem driver, which is for pci (or isa?) devices,
as far as I know. You need to load the pcmcia drivers and set up pcmcia
and select the generic serial driver. If that doesn't work, then you
HAVE a winmodem on a pcmcia card! Amazing.

> Technical details:
> I have a Dynalink PCMCIA 56K Fax Modem.  The command 'cardctl ident'

Aha! So you KNOW you have to run pcmcia. You really do believe in
slipping things in sideways ...

>   product info: "V90&K56Flex PCMCIA FAX MODEM", "", "", ""

Well, that doesn't tell us much. What does the generic pcmcia modem
driver make of it? You need to add the ident to the pcmcia card
database in /etc/pcmcia/ if it isn't there already, if the serial
driver isn't loaded by default when the cardmgr sees it.

From: "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: X sessions randomly closing
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:52:02 -0700

I've recently upgraded from RedHat Zoot to Guiness with the 2.2.19-7.0.1
kernel and am having a problem that's driving me up the wall...

it seems that at random times the server decides to disconnect my X sessions
(I'm running eXceed on NT using the telnet protocol)... it's not a timeout
thing since sometimes I'm busy typing and my X session just terminates.

I have another Guiness box running the 2.2.18 kernel and if I open a session
to that box (from NT) I don't have the problem... if I telnet from the .18
box to the .19 I'm also ok, but if I open my session to the .19 box directly
from NT, I keep getting disconnected...

is anyone else having these kinds of problems?  I've spent a lot of time on
DejaNews but haven't come up with anything useful.

1k thx - e

p.s. btw, the message I get is "Connection reset by peer".

------------------------------

From: Juergen Sauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Products disapoining in Linux - was Linux vs Microsoft
Date: 29 Apr 2001 16:28:50 GMT

Michael Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb
am Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:54:13 -0000 in comp.os.linux.misc:

> HP's new Linux-based printing initiative for Linux. Check it out:

> http://hp.sourceforge.net/

> Now they have released enough of their specs to do printer drivers.  But if
> I wanted good laser quality, I would go with one of the new models from
> Lexmark.  Lexmark used to release good OS/2 drivers and now is releasing
> Linux printing drivers.

> As far as printing with HP's, I would have to mildly disagree.  I use a
> HP8000n at work which has quite good Postscript printing capabilities.  We
> throw a few thousand print jobs primarily from linux boxes each day at it.
> Works pretty well.

Any PostScript Printer works well ...

> As far as deskjet printing goes, check out the sourceforge link.

This initiative is not enough. It's trash.
It's HP's idiotic atempt to keep the linux comunity quiet.

The HP's way is like to lead sheeps to slaughter.

This is my reason for this opinion:

The HP's support range *does* not know about this project and it's
results. The drivers are *not* officially delivered by HP.
Many printers are not supported like my HP1220C/ps, by the way HP lies about
the PS capabilities of this Printer. In the web the tell "PostScript Lev. 3",
but it is defnitly PLC Lev. 3. Idiotic.
Asking the HP Support Hotline for Drivers causes a big laugh.

Better not use Linux and HP Products, if you want avoid troubles;
it may work -- mostly not or only after big manual actions.
(Search Web, Usenet, download, compiling, installing, testing, failing,
startup again by recerche ...)
I have collected expierences with tons of different HP Deskjet Printers,
Scanners, Botebooks, DATs (HP 15xx, Surestore breaks up as fast you
start useing it, but the drivers work, the physically quality is trash-like,
after disapointing 75 hours opf usage the last 1537A one crashed, now
Sony SDT11000 works includided 3-times waranty) and much mor disapointing
expieriences with HP Products

mfG
        Jojo

------------------------------

From: "MrColombo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Background limit
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:11:16 GMT

Hello,

How i can limite the number of background processe for a user ??
thnx.

------------------------------

From: "MrColombo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Process limit
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:13:47 GMT

How i can limite a number of BackGround process for an user ?

------------------------------

From: nordi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Background limit
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:15:21 +0200

MrColombo wrote:

> How i can limite the number of background processe for a user ??
> thnx.

"ulimit -u" is what you need.
"man ulimit" in case you have further questions.

greetings
nordi

        -- Ferenc Mantfeld

Visit http://private.addcom.de/nordi

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:29:31 GMT

MrColombo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How i can limite the number of background processe for a user ??
> thnx.

You can limit the number of processes a user can have in
/etc/security/limits.conf but I'm not sure if you can limit only the
background processes.

You would also need to enter the line below to /etc/pam.d/login to tell
the system to use the limits.conf file. You can enter it near the end of
the file after the "pam_pwdb.so" line.

session required   /lib/securitypam_limits.so

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.179% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Printer special features
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:07:01 +0100

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 10:45:04 +0200 in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jan Felix Reuter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a HP DeskJet 615C (yea, I know, not the best printer around :-) and
> I was wondering if it is possible to use all the features it has, like
> econo for example, under linux.

You could see if it's supported here:

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: How to start httpd
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:12:53 +0100

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 05:02:57 GMT in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike Song <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After installing RedHat Linux, httpd is not automatically.
> I can manually start httpd by:
>
>     /sbin/service httpd start
>
> How can  make httpd automatically?

Another way of doing this is with:
        chkconfig httpd reset
        service httpd start
The first line sets the service to start up in the runlevels specified in
the /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd script (/etc/init.d/httpd on some systems), and
for it to start up in the right place in the sequence.

It's a lot quicker than using a GUI tool, IMO.

--
Garry Knight