Linux-Misc Digest #740, Volume #26                Sun, 7 Jan 01 09:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: nfs problem.. permission denied.? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  problem with sort on multiple keys (Phil)
  Re: RAM management (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: ppp problem with ISP ("Peter T. Breuer")
  SNMP with MRTG ("Rick Goh")
  Re: RAM management (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: Log File Security and Rotation (Michael Heiming)
  Re: DOSEMU (Martin Bock)
  Re: 10mbit vs. 100mbit NIC (Lucien)
  Re: Virtual Desktop? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RAM management ("Eric en Jolanda")
  How to install KDE on a RH6.2 server (Bo Berglund)
  Re: Newbie :HOw do i get my modem to pulse dial under linux (Stanislaw Flatto)
  Re: at daemon fails to startup (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?=)
  Re: ppp problem with ISP (Jean-David Beyer)
  ppp log to screen (piet)
  Ignoranus Re: Xfree sux, in any form (Stanislaw Flatto)
  how do i build gnu apps in /usr  not in /usr/local ("lenny")
  Re: ppp log to screen (Andrew Purugganan)
  Re: DOSEMU (Harry)
  Re: auto run ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  how can i read Chinese in Linux? (lily)
  Re: ppp log to screen (piet)

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nfs problem.. permission denied.?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:06:03 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> i have repeatedly reboot the system still dont work.

Then you know you are not up to scratch.

>> > i'm trying to setup nfs with rh7-linux both machines, but seems not working.
>> > on top of a fresh installed linux system,
>> > 192.168.0.91:/tmp    /mnt/tmp      nfs      exec,dev,suid,rw 1 1
>> > /etc/exprots of server (192.168.0.91)

exports.

>> > /tmp  globalchinalink(rw)

And what IP does globalchinalink have? Use the IP number instead.

>> > "failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"

So you know that the server doesn read your exports file. Restart it
with debugging on and read the output.

>> I guess that executing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start" does not, on its

I think it does, but why should he care? They can do anything. He
should do what he wants to do.

>> own, start the NFS server in the std RH 7 configuration.  Use "rpcinfo
>> -p" to determine what RPC daemons are running, and then start
>> /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd, /usr/sbin/rpc.rstatd, /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd,
>> /usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad, and /usr/sbin/rpc.rusersd, if necessary.

All fine. You forgot to tell him to kill previous instances first!
And to watch out for knfsd.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil)
Subject: problem with sort on multiple keys
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 10:06:47 GMT

I am trying to sort a tab separated file on the 1st and 3rd key fields

I'm using:-
#sort -k1,1 -k3,3 datafile

on a file similar to this:-

111     222     333
ddddd   aaaaa   kkkkk
aaaa    nnn     nn

It sorts on the first key but not on any other key.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: RAM management
Date: 06 Jan 2001 23:55:19 -0900

"Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'm working with BIG and CONTIGUOUS arrays (up to 16MB), that
>> get created with "new" operator (analogous to "malloc" in C)
>> From benchmarking profiles it seems that the system can not
>> allocate contiguous memory for these so, my guess is that it
>> breaks them up into pieces, which slows down the program. Is
>> there any way to defrag RAM w/o rebooting or am I being
>> silly?
>>

>I don't think there's much point in this. (But I'm no guru) The
>malloc'd space will be swapped in and out again frequently.

There is no reason to expect that allocated memory will
necessarily be (or not be, either one) swapped in and out again,
even once.

It depends entirely on available RAM and system usage.  If there
is enough RAM, it will never be swapped out.

>I never looked into the code, but I don't think there's a
>guarantee that contiguous RAM space will remain contiguous
>after a swap.

What is "contiguous RAM"???  If that means one continious linear
address space (and no other meaning makes sense to a user
program), then most certainly it will always remain at the same
range of addresses, before and after swapping.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp problem with ISP
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:11:48 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John Todd wrote:
>>         With my ISP, I have to cue them which service I want with my
>> username, thus:
>> SERNAME: myusername%ppp
>>         If I leave that out, I get the shell. Maybe call (phone!)
>> your ISP and check what they expect?

> to get a shell you enter a '1' at their menu that appears when u dial in
> or 'q' for quit, how u get ppp started is beyond me. That isn't an

It had better start being within you, because if you can't find out, your
computer won't. People are more intelligent than computers.

> option anymore so that means the only way is automaticaly starting it.

What do you mean "automatically"? Do you mean "without waiting".
Wvdial can do that. It's the "stupid" option. Configure it.

> Windows can do that, Linux can't it seems, at least not with my ISP.

It's nothing to do with linux.

> i've called 2 times.  They say PAP is PAP and supplying a username and
> password is all that is needed.  That's what I do in Windows98 and it

Good, so now you are sure. So do it.

> works fine, why it won't work in linux using the same procedure is

It works fine.

> beyond me.  Somehow Windows is able to make the dial up server initiate
> a ppp link. Linux won't do that I presume.  Something wont work

It's nothing to do with linux. It's up to YOU.

From: "Rick Goh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.protocols.snmp
Subject: SNMP with MRTG
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:59:10 +0800

Not even sure how to start snmpd after installing ucd-snmp.
Do you know of any good documentation on Linux - SNMP - MRTG?

In addition, I need to monitor the various services like http, ftp, pop,
smtp, ...  by monitoring their ports.
How do i configure SNMP to be able to this?
And how do i configure MRTG to retrieve this info from SNMP?

Regards.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: 07 Jan 2001 01:07:00 -0900

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have ENOUGH RAM, so I don't think it should come to swapping. However,
>I'm worried that RAM may be organized in such a way that I won't have a
>CONTIGUOUS chunk of memory, so it will be emulated or something.
>
>Thanks
>
>Wroot

How are you defining "CONTIGUOUS chunk of memory" ???  If you
mean a linear address space, then you will in fact get it.  If
you mean contiguous in physical RAM, you can't get it and it
has no significance anyway because of the address translations
inherent in the system's memory management.

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:13:38 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Log File Security and Rotation

"Brian E. Seppanen" wrote:

> I'm trying to set up secure logging.  What I want to do is set up my
> logs with the append only attribute via chattr.   When I rotate the logs
> I want to set change them to immutable with chattr.   How have people
> handled logfile rotation.  Is there something currently available that
> documents how to do this?   I'm thinking that somewhere in my
> logrotations scripts I will have to run a pre and postrotate scripts to
> perform the chattr command.    Can anyone provide examples of how
> they've accomplished this?
>
> Also how does msyslogd compare to syslog-ng?
>
> Brian E. Seppanen

why do you want to do this, since only root can write to /var/log,
if someone has root access he may change your changes back with chattr as
he likes?

Anyway you could chattr the .gz logs from cron with a small script like
this:

#!/bin/sh
for i in 'ls /var/log/*.gz';
        do
        <your_chattr_command $i>;
done

I would be carefull with the real logs, syslogd, writes to the inode...

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Martin Bock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: DOSEMU
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:15:16 +0100

Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:32:21 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>wrote:
>
>>Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I thought I'd have a play with this on my slackware laptop, but it
>>> won't compile properly - complains about a missing file "version.h"

[Snip]

>>I have Slackware 7.1 from the Walnut Creek CDROM set.  "version.h"
>>lives in /usr/src/linux/include/linux.
>

>Nope, I have slack 7.1 with the latest (at least up until last
>wednesday) kernel, and there'e no "version.h" anywhere in the unpacked
>linux-2.2.18 file. The dosemu documentation says this is one of the
>most common problems people have, but don't follow that up by telling
>you what to do about it. Is this a bug in the kernel release?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Harry
>

>(Linux - an obstacle at every turn...)

Hello Harry,

after compilation of a kernel from the sources the missing file
'version.h' will be in the proper place.

Same thing with compilation of 'lilo' and missing 'autoconf.h'.

(Corrected F'up to colm)

HTH
--

Martin                                    www.martin-bock.de

/* Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost! */

------------------------------

From: Lucien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: 10mbit vs. 100mbit NIC
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:54:32 +0100

blix wrote:

> I have a W2K and Linux (RH7.0) machine networked together via 10/100mbit
> NICs. I have a network monitor on my W2K machine that shows the speed of
> incoming and outgoing data on that interface.
>
> When I transfer large amounts of data to my W2K hard drive from my linux
> machine (using cp), the W2K monitor shows the transfer speed of the W2K
> incoming NIC at about 715KB/s. This seems to be only 10mbit. Any ideas?
>
> Is there something special I need to do with the cards? There are no
> jumpers on the cards, I checked.
>
> When I copied from the W2K machine to the Linux machine (via samba) the
> W2k NIC maxed out at 4.1MB/s for just an instant... but averaged 535.6KB/s.
>
> blix

Some 10/100mbit NIC's have both connections for
coax and UTP cables. They only do 10 mbit when
connected via coax. For 100 mbit you need
a (crosswired) cat-5 UTP cable.

Hope this helps,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Virtual Desktop?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 02:55:51 GMT

Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there any program that allows you to open a linux desktop in windows? I

vnc, from http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

It also works in the other direction, and between two Windows
machines, or Two Unix machines.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:15:24 +0100

> There is no reason to expect that allocated memory will
> necessarily be (or not be, either one) swapped in and out again,
> even once.
>
> It depends entirely on available RAM and system usage.  If there
> is enough RAM, it will never be swapped out.
>
> >I never looked into the code, but I don't think there's a
> >guarantee that contiguous RAM space will remain contiguous
> >after a swap.
>
> What is "contiguous RAM"???  If that means one continious linear
> address space (and no other meaning makes sense to a user
> program), then most certainly it will always remain at the same
> range of addresses, before and after swapping.

That should teach me to respond to a posting I don't know enough about.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bo Berglund)
Subject: How to install KDE on a RH6.2 server
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:37:51 GMT

Since the RH 6.2 install did not put a GUI in when I selected 'server'
as install option I am now at a disadvantage since I am used to admin
of the Linux machines from GUI.
So:
Is there a simple step-by-step instruction somewhere on how to get KDE
installed on the server. Note that I can only get to a commadn prompt
on this box.

Bo Berglund

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie :HOw do i get my modem to pulse dial under linux
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 23:50:46 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Newbie :HOw do i get my modem to pulse dial?[[[[[[[[[[[ under Corel
> linux]]]]]]]]]]]]]
>
>                                                      This has nothing
> to do with the subject

Read the init commands of the MODEM, they usually look like atdt(phone
number), which means (at) - command, (dt) - dial in tone dialing, (phone
number) - phone number.
What you need is: atdp(phone number). (dp) - dial using pulse dialing.
HTH (Hope This Helps)
Stanislaw.
Slak user from Ulladulla.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: at daemon fails to startup
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:50:59 +0100

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Ted Troccola wrote:

> I recently duplicated a working Red Hat 6.1 system.
>
> I duplicated the entire filesystem on a second hard drive in the same box
> ( so no hardware changed ), updated the fstab to point to new partitions and
> tried to boot to the new root partition ( using LILO: linux root=/dev/hda7
> where hda7 is my new root partition)
>
> I see everything start correctly, except for the "at daemon".  This fails on
> the new system, but works fine on the old.
>
> Any ideas why?

Eh, some time ago, I had the same problem after a crash. It turned out to
be /dev/null, that was replaced by a normal (empty) file.

Try to do "ls -l /dev/null" - it should give something like

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       1,   3 fre jan 05 15:33:21 2001
/dev/null

Rasmus Bøg Hansen

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 07:54:20 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote (in part):

> In comp.os.linux.misc Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > John Todd wrote:
> >>         With my ISP, I have to cue them which service I want with my
> >> username, thus:
> >> SERNAME: myusername%ppp
> >>         If I leave that out, I get the shell. Maybe call (phone!)
> >> your ISP and check what they expect?

Mine wants myusername.ppp . I suspect that if in my chatscript that I
use to login,
I put something like this at the end:

'assword:' '@#$%^&*+'
'TIMEOUT' '5'
'~--' ''
'' 'ppp'   <---<<< Not there now.

it would work too, but I never bothered to try it. I am pretty sure my
Windows stuff does not know to put the .ppp in at the end of the login.

> > to get a shell you enter a '1' at their menu that appears when u dial in
> > or 'q' for quit, how u get ppp started is beyond me. That isn't an
>
> It had better start being within you, because if you can't find out, your
> computer won't. People are more intelligent than computers.

Well, some of them are, anyway. 8-(

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: piet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ppp log to screen
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 13:03:57 GMT

i have a dialin server using ppp.
now, i want to see the logfile continiously on one screen.
how do i this? is it a command using redirect or pipe?
thnxs
piet

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.unix.bsd.misc
Subject: Ignoranus Re: Xfree sux, in any form
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 00:15:20 +1100

buckwheat wrote:

[you want to know what he wrote? Read the original article!]

>From "New, improved American lingo dictionary"

Ignoranus - someone who is both stupid AND an arsehole.

Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: "lenny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how do i build gnu apps in /usr  not in /usr/local
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 13:09:24 GMT

I would like to know if there is a way to
have gnu apps built from source to be
installed to /usr instead of usr local
I know I can add options to the
configure script but is there also a
way to make this part of the environment
permanently.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: ppp log to screen
Date: 7 Jan 2001 13:13:57 GMT

piet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ i have a dialin server using ppp.
[ now, i want to see the logfile continiously on one screen.
[ how do i this? is it a command using redirect or pipe?

there's utilities on freshmeat.net like root-tail or x-tail (scan for the
word "tail" for starters)

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.slackware
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 13:27:45 +0000

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:15:16 +0100, Martin Bock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:32:21 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>wrote:

>[Snip]
>
>>>I have Slackware 7.1 from the Walnut Creek CDROM set.  "version.h"
>>>lives in /usr/src/linux/include/linux.
>>

>>Nope, I have slack 7.1 with the latest (at least up until last
>>wednesday) kernel, and there'e no "version.h" anywhere in the unpacked
>>linux-2.2.18 file. The dosemu documentation says this is one of the
>>most common problems people have, but don't follow that up by telling
>>you what to do about it. Is this a bug in the kernel release?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Harry
>>

>>(Linux - an obstacle at every turn...)
>
>Hello Harry,
>
>after compilation of a kernel from the sources the missing file
>'version.h' will be in the proper place.
>
>Same thing with compilation of 'lilo' and missing 'autoconf.h'.
>
>(Corrected F'up to colm)
>
>HTH

Helps tremendously Martin, thank you.

After a kernel build I'd been making "mrproper" thinking this would be
a nice state to leave the source tree in, but looking at the Makefile
I see that this deletes "version.h".

I conclude from this then that:

a) "make clean" is the happiest state to leave the kernel source tree
in after a kernel build

and

b) it's necessary for the source tree to be present in this state
before a lot of programs can be compiled, or is it only necessary for
/usr/src/linux/include/linux to be present - which is linked back to
/usr/include/linux?  (my head's spinning)

Forgive me, I'm quite new to all this.

Thanks again

Harry

(Corrected F'up to colm)   ???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: auto run
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 04:51:06 +0000

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> since I've never seen a self-running program, I'm merely
> asking you what the fuck this "autorun" thing is supposed to be?

Ever heard of a daemon?
(And it DOES mean without human intervention AS WELL AS "self running"
these days. Words change their meaning over time y'know).

You're not worth the effort.
You've been told three times now to cut it out with the sig, and you haven't
even responded to it... Let alone cut it down to size.

You even left this bit....

>> Oh, and I noticed you totally ignored the rest of my posting...
>>
>> So I'll repeat it as you seem to be incredibly thick. It might sink in this
>> time...

But snipped the bit you didn't want to see because it'd make your stupid sig
shrink.

The "accepted" sig length is 4 lines although some people go 2 or 3 lines
over... You're going 33 lines over!

Now sod off until you've got a clue.

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: lily <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how can i read Chinese in Linux?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 21:34:00 +0800

I can't read Chinese in Linux. What kind of software can help me? and where can
i find it?
Thax!

------------------------------

From: piet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 13:47:13 GMT

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> piet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> [ i have a dialin server using ppp.
> [ now, i want to see the logfile continiously on one screen.
> [ how do i this? is it a command using redirect or pipe?
>
> there's utilities on freshmeat.net like root-tail or x-tail (scan for the
> word "tail" for starters)
>
> --
> jazz
> Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386
> Doesn't it bother you, that we have to search for intelligent life
> --- OUT THERE??
that's what i was looking for!
thanks
piet