Linux-Misc Digest #375, Volume #26               Thu, 23 Nov 00 13:13:02 EST

Contents:
  How to show badblocks in swap partitions? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  More kernel trouble? (Sebastian Palm)
  Thread scheduling (saba)
  Re: A stronger kill (Craig Macbride)
  Re: Databases in Linux (Redhat) (Ryengoth)
  Re: Screw KDE 2.0!! - Im going crazy trying to install it. (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: Tailing files with added timestamps? (Russell Marks)
  Re: Screw KDE 2.0!! - Im going crazy trying to install it. (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: wu-ftp group permissions help (Wayne Pollock)
  Re: cron output redirection (Wayne Pollock)
  Re: Netscape & cable 'net access? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Screw KDE 2.0!! - Im going crazy trying to install it. (Jason Boyd)
  Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandable) ("Shane Bush")
  Re: Console fonts have changed to being unreadable :) (John Hasler)
  Re: How is a module properly loaded during bootup? ("Shane Bush")
  Re: Screw KDE 2.0!! - Im going crazy trying to install it. (bob_more)
  Re: Screw KDE 2.0!! - Im going crazy trying to install it. (bob_more)
  Re: Screw KDE 2.0!! - Im going crazy trying to install it. (bob_more)
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH ("Conrad Drescher")
  dumping multiple volumes to tape? (Paul Reilly)
  Re: Install Linux without erasing NT4 boot (DualIP)
  Re: RH7 kernel compile error (Martin Stenzel)
  Re: error compiling tulip.c (Martin Stenzel)
  Re: ext2 fs on magneto optical disks (Marc SCHAEFER)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to show badblocks in swap partitions?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:18:39 GMT

How to print the blocks which are reserved as bad in the swap
partitions, like "dumpe2fs -b" in e2fs?

From: Sebastian Palm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: More kernel trouble?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:29:39 GMT

So there I am, merrily recompiling the 2.4.0-test9 kernel,
after having gotten the required modutils and other packages
listed in Documentation/Changes. 'make install' I type,
then 'make modules_install' - and lo, the error messages have
vanished. So I enter the command 'reboot', and hope to see the
new kernel in all it's glory...

But then e2fsck kicks in, and informs me that the superblock
of /dev/hda1 (my root partition) cannot be read or is missing.
Very nice. I try the listed fix - e2fsck with the -b option -
and it repeats the error. It does mount the fs - in read-only
mode. I've got a few more options to check, but I thought I'd
ask here first - does anyone have a fix for this? The 2.2.17
kernel works just fine, it's just that I want ACPI and HID
compatibility...

Sebastian

From: saba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Thread scheduling
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:31:46 GMT

Hi friends,
      what algorithm is used for thread scheduling in linux os.
sabarish

Subject: Re: A stronger kill
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Macbride)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:41:42 GMT

James Silverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Good Lord! It sounds like Stephen King (!! g)

I remember [he says, showing his age] reading BSD source code for init
almost 20 years ago. The comments were pretty good reading. I guess
I should look at similar Linux source and comparing them for humour value.

--
        Craig Macbride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
=======================http://www.nyx.net/~cmacbrid========================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ryengoth)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.apps,comp.lang.java.databases,comp.databases.informix,comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.sybase,linux.redhat.misc,linux.postgres,comp.databases.pick,comp.databases.ibm-db2,comp.databases.oracle.misc
Subject: Re: Databases in Linux (Redhat)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:24:20 GMT

 Don't forget Picksystem's(I mean Raining Data's) D3.

  Ryengoth
    http://pick-source.freeservers.com

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Screw KDE 2.0!! - Im going crazy trying to install it.
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:03:37 -0600

SuSE has a set of rpms for kde2 that worked very well for me.
Since RH uses rpm and essentially the same dir structure
they may work for you..   Also, there is some help on
the webpage for what happens to you.

http://www.suse.de/en/support/download/kde2/index.html

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Tailing files with added timestamps?
From: Russell Marks <russell.marks@spam^H^H^H^Hntlworld.com>
Date: 23 Nov 2000 16:05:19 +0000

Phillip Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a problem with a logfile at work, on a Linux box. The file logs
> events on a video server, and is in parallel with another file logging
> different events on the same machine.
> The first file has every line time-stamped. The second doesn't!
> Idiocy, I know.   Is there a way I can tail -f the file while adding a
> timestamp at the beginning of each line, as this would be very useful in
> matching events between the two files?

I'm not sure if this is the best approach, but you can do it pretty
simply by piping the `tail -f' to gawk like this:

tail -f foobar | \
  gawk '{printf("%s %s\n",strftime("%b %m %H:%M:%S",systime()),$0)}'

That gives lines like:

Nov 11 22:44:23 <input line>

If that's the wrong date/time format, it shouldn't be hard to fix.

-Rus.

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,alt.linux
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:13:08 -0600

bob_more wrote:

> Eric B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > I am at my last thread of sanity...
> > >
> > > I am using Red Hat 7.0 and trying to get KDE 2.0 on it.
> > >
> > > I have deinstalled  KDE 1.0 and installed KDE 2.0 = NOTHING
> > > I have renamed KDE 1.0 and reinstalled KDE 2.0 = NOTHING
> > > I have deinstalled KDE 1.0 and tarred the slackware KDE 2.0 (is it
> > > compatible with Red HAT??) = NOPE!!
> > >
> > > I have also installed the KDE rpms from www.kde.org's site and I get a
> > > grey screen and a KDE logo to start up with but craps out after 10
> > > seconds.
> > >
> > > Somebody suggested compiling the source.. but I loaded it and said
> > > that I didn't have the correct C compiler on it (or something like
> > > that) AND I checked....sure enough I have gcc on the machine.
> > >
> > > Can anybody make any sain reason on how to proceed???
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > Bud, your problem is Redhat, NOT KDE 2.0.  Redhat 7.0 has a Beta version
> > of egcs/gcc on it, check out http://gcc.gnu.org/ and Redhat's home page
> > for more info, there is a work around.  Your problem is the fact that
> > ALL Redhat x.0 releases are bleeding edge.  NOTHING works right on
> > them.  I played this game with 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0.  If you want a stable
> > box, either go with a distro that emphasises stability (I am a diehard
> > Slackware devotee)at the expense of not having the most up to date
> > kernel (among other things) shipped with it, or go back to Redhat 6.2,
> > install all the errata RPM's, update all the packages required for KDE,
> > then give it another shot.  I would choose Slackware.  I compiled QT
> > 2.2.1 from Trolltech, and compiled all the source tar balls from
> > kde.org, not a single issue.  Or, if it's kicking your ass to hard, try
> > Gnome, it's also quite nice, though you will probably have many of the
> > same issues.
> > Eric
>

> i've heard this myself, as an alternative, true diehards love slackware,
> I've used caldera with great stability since version 1.1, just remember
> that redhat aint the only game in town. shop around.

I'm running SuSE 7.0 on a P166 Sony VAIO with 64MB of RAM.  I've never
had Linux crash in three years.  I've had kde crash once or twice. in the
nearly two years I've used it.  Recently, I deleted kde from my box and
installed KDE3 using SuSE's rpms.  It is very stable.
I did replace the qt-2.1.1 with qt-2.2.2, which is the latest.
I've never been blown out to the command line yet.  Some apps are touchy,
but Konqueror, KMail, KNode seem very solid.  No crashes on them yet.
I've tried to compile two apps written specifically for KDE2 and though they
compile and install nicely they both seem to have identical path problems
and can't find the png icons, resulting in a KCrash message.

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wu-ftp group permissions help
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:14:24 -0500

Thanks!  I was too lazy to dig through the 25 pages of "man ftpaccess"!

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cron output redirection
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:18:37 -0500

The order of redirections is significant!  Try this:
 0,12,24,36,48 * * * * ping -c 3 apache.org >/dev/null 2>&1

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Netscape & cable 'net access?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:44:16 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:26:35 GMT, asage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It browses fine, but even though I've entered 'mail' for both Pop3 and
>SMTP (and 'news' for the newsgroups), it keeps saying it can't find the
>server 'mail'.  These are the settings I use in Netscape in Windows

You probably need to put a "domain" entry in /etc/resolv.conf.
Something like:

domain  home.com

This tells the resolver what domain to assume if you give it an
unqualified name like "mail".

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Jason Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:18:29 GMT

Just caught this thread. I felt like throwing in that my local Linux
guru at work ended up spending an entire day compiling KDE 2 for my
RedHat 6.1 setup, and the resulting package still seems to have some
issues. Meanwhile, at home I have KDE 1.1.2 with RedHat 6.2, and I like
it a *lot* more than the badly organized and buggy KDE 2.

Jason

------------------------------

From: "Shane Bush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem (rewrite to make it understandable)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:42:29 -0600

Had somewhat the same problem... DOS fdisk won't see a ext2 partition... If
you can boot into linux, use the fdisk command there to alter or delete your
ext2 partitions.  Do a man on fdisk and read... there's a more prefered
fdisking program usually... just can't remember what...

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Console fonts have changed to being unreadable :)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:27:38 GMT

Tim Banner wrote:
> I did a "cat" on a database file, and for some reason my console fonts
> have changed to a symbol set.

Type reset and hit enter.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Shane Bush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How is a module properly loaded during bootup?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:44:44 -0600

kernel How-to...  read it. particularly the parts about modules.

------------------------------

From: bob_more <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:23:45 -0500

Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> SuSE has a set of rpms for kde2 that worked very well for me.
> Since RH uses rpm and essentially the same dir structure
> they may work for you..   Also, there is some help on=20
> the webpage for what happens to you.
>=20
> http://www.suse.de/en/support/download/kde2/index.html
>=20
>=20
>=20
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>=20
> > I really didn't want this discussion to be RedHat vs.Slackware or Gno=
me
> > vs. KDE
> >=20
> > I wanted to get KDE2 on my machine so my mom and mother in law would =
be
> > able to use Linux.
> >=20
> > I believe that KDE2 will give Linux a better user interface, in
> > addition that I like the tools that come with it.
> >=20
> > Right I installed RH7 with gnome only. Then I am installing the rms
> > likewise:
> >=20
> > libmng.rpm (qt needs it)
> > qt-2.2.1-6
> > kdesupport-2.01
> > kdelibs-2.0
> > kdelibs-sound-2.0-7. (kdebase needs it)
> > kdebase-2.01
> >=20
> > Then after that I should be able to come out to the gui login page
> > select kde as my interface, username, password, and boom I'm in right=
??
> >=20
> > WRONG . Still the screen opens for a second and then kicks backout to
> > the gui login screen.
> >=20
> > What is the deal guys???
> >=20
> >=20
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

mandrake is essentially a rh clone alo, theres another alternative.

------------------------------

From: bob_more <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:24:41 -0500

Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> bob_more wrote:
>=20
> > Eric B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Bud, your problem is Redhat, NOT KDE 2.0.  Redhat 7.0 has a Beta ve=
rsion
> > > of egcs/gcc on it, check out http://gcc.gnu.org/ and Redhat's home =
page
> > > for more info, there is a work around.  Your problem is the fact th=
at
> > > ALL Redhat x.0 releases are bleeding edge.  NOTHING works right on
> > > them.  I played this game with 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0.  If you want a st=
able
> > > box, either go with a distro that emphasises stability (I am a dieh=
ard
> > > Slackware devotee)at the expense of not having the most up to date
> > > kernel (among other things) shipped with it, or go back to Redhat 6=
=2E2,
> > > install all the errata RPM's, update all the packages required for =
KDE,
> > > then give it another shot.  I would choose Slackware.  I compiled Q=
> > > 2.2.1 from Trolltech, and compiled all the source tar balls from
> > > kde.org, not a single issue.  Or, if it's kicking your ass to hard,=
 try
> > > Gnome, it's also quite nice, though you will probably have many of =
the
> > > same issues.
> > > Eric
> >=20
> >=20
> > i've heard this myself, as an alternative, true diehards love slackwa=
re,
> > I've used caldera with great stability since version 1.1, just rememb=
er
> > that redhat aint the only game in town. shop around.
>=20
> I'm running SuSE 7.0 on a P166 Sony VAIO with 64MB of RAM.  I've never
> had Linux crash in three years.  I've had kde crash once or twice. in t=
he
> nearly two years I've used it.  Recently, I deleted kde from my box and
> installed KDE3 using SuSE's rpms.  It is very stable. =20
> I did replace the qt-2.1.1 with qt-2.2.2, which is the latest.
> I've never been blown out to the command line yet.  Some apps are touch=
y,=20
> but Konqueror, KMail, KNode seem very solid.  No crashes on them yet.
> I've tried to compile two apps written specifically for KDE2 and though=
 they
> compile and install nicely they both seem to have identical path proble=
ms=20
> and can't find the png icons, resulting in a KCrash message.

i took a slightly different approach, I installed the new qt libs without
replacing and actullay have four versions running nicely at once, the onl=
y app
I've had issues with were the following:

knode crashes while trying to pull in headers and locks, and some posted =
a fix
suggesting it was a problem with the libmimelib files but that failed to
correct the issue, the other was kword trying to save html files. It prod=
uces a
single big "1" as opposed to actual text. =20

if anyone can serve up a solution to that I would appreciate it.

i can continue to use kexpress or pan for news and star office or compose=
r for
html stuff, I like to have options.

thanks

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
From: bob_more <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:28:06 -0500

Jason Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just caught this thread. I felt like throwing in that my local Linux
> guru at work ended up spending an entire day compiling KDE 2 for my
> RedHat 6.1 setup, and the resulting package still seems to have some
> issues. Meanwhile, at home I have KDE 1.1.2 with RedHat 6.2, and I like
> it a *lot* more than the badly organized and buggy KDE 2.
>=20
> Jason
>=20
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >=20
> > How did you compile it? Did you use the gcc that Redhat comes with??
> >=20
> > Can you explain how you did it?
> >=20
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > I compiled KDE2 from source under RedHat 7.0. No problems.
> > >
> > > ]-[an.
> > > --
> > > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
> > > =3D  Han Willemsen   -     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  =3D
> > > =3D     Utrecht      -     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   =3D
> > > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D

> >=20
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

i'm still thinking that redhat is the issue, as it has been gnome partial=
 for
some time.

------------------------------

From: "Conrad Drescher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 18:34:22 +0100

Hi

does anybody know in which config-file the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is initialized?
It appears when calling "env" as root running on SuSE 6.4. Thanks in
advance.

--
Conrad

------------------------------

From: Paul Reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dumping multiple volumes to tape?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:44:45 +0000

Hi,

I'm using dump/restore with a 40GB DLT tape. I want to backup three
volumes of 3GB,  11GB, and 5 GB. However dump defaults to assuming a
tape length of 2300 feet, and 1600 BPI (bytes/inch) ==> 27600 inches x
1600 BPI == 43 MB. So anything larger than 43 MB and it asks you to put
in a new tape! Okay, so you fool it by giving it the -s and -d options
to specify a density and tape length which would allow your volume to
fit on the tape, and away it goes. However it takes much longer than it
should to write the data to the tape. ie it just keeps running the tape
until it gets the EOT (end of tape) at the end, by which time it's too
late to dump the other two volumes on the tape!?! How can I get it to
stop when it's dumped the volume, so I can dump the next one?

Thanks,

Paul

[root@tchpc01 scripts]# dump -0u -s 60000 -d 6250 -f /dev/nst0 /
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Nov 23 17:18:21 2000
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/sda5 (/) to /dev/nst0
  DUMP: Label: none
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 2873545 tape blocks on 0.69 tape(s).
  DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Thu Nov 23 17:18:25 2000
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
  DUMP: 45.55% done, finished in 0:05
  DUMP: 92.25% done, finished in 0:00
  DUMP: Closing /dev/nst0
  DUMP: Volume 1 completed at: Thu Nov 23 17:29:42 2000
  DUMP: Volume 1 took 0:11:17
  DUMP: Volume 1 transfer rate: 4506 KB/s
  DUMP: DUMP: 3050618 tape blocks on 1 volumes(s)
  DUMP: finished in 677 seconds, throughput 4506 KBytes/sec
  DUMP: level 0 dump on Thu Nov 23 17:18:21 2000
  DUMP: DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Nov 23 17:18:21 2000
  DUMP: DUMP: Date this dump completed:  Thu Nov 23 17:29:42 2000
  DUMP: DUMP: Average transfer rate: 4506 KB/s
  DUMP: DUMP IS DONE

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DualIP)
Subject: Re: Install Linux without erasing NT4 boot
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:47:21 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:11:04 +0100, "cib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Each time i install a partition of Linux, i get the message 'unable to find
>NTDLR, make sure it is installed' when i go back to windows NT.
>Can someone tell me how to save this boot of NT, instead of re-installing
>again the Whole NT.
Don't install the LILO bootloader ,but make a Linux startup disk
instead

DualIP

------------------------------

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7 kernel compile error
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 18:58:38 +0100

Chris Borgnaes wrote:

> I'm recompiling the kernel to incorporate a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI card.  Am I
>missing a package or something?  And what's kgcc?

kgcc is just a graphical frontend to gcc, the GNU compiler, do not worry about that

> I'm running Gnome, not KDE; is that the problem?

KDE and GNOME can happily coexist.

>  It's a clean install on a new machine, and I've done 'make dep' and 'make clean',
> seemingly without a hitch.  Below is what I'm getting when I 'make bzImage' in
>/usr/src/linux:
>
> In file included from ksyms.c:17:
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:47: `smp_num_cpus' undeclared (first use
>in this function)

I did not check the source now, however, do you compile for SMP?

I assume your kernel will run on a single CPU machine.

Go and check for the SMP support. Just tick it off. This _might_ solve

the problem. The SMP support question appears right in the beginning of the

kernel configuration.

If this does not solve your problem you might get the RH 6.2 gcc and try to

compile with this one.

Much luck.

Martin.

--
Martin Stenzel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP-/GnuPG-encrypted mail appreciated,
public key (ID: >>B57C61DC<<) at:

------------------------------

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: error compiling tulip.c
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:06:07 +0100

Peter Bismuti wrote:

> This is the error message I get when I try to compile the tulip.c driver
> from www.scyld.com:
>
> #gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c tulip.c
>
> tulip.c: In function 'tulip_open':
> tulip.c:1437: structure has no member named 'tbusy'
> tulip.c:1438: structure has no member named 'start'
> .
> .

I assume you cannot this driver by itself but you have to patch your kernel
and compile the
whole kernel.  If you did read that you can compile it by itself as a
module the problem
might be the RH 7 gcc. Try the 6.2 gcc.

Martin.

From: Marc SCHAEFER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: ext2 fs on magneto optical disks
Date: 23 Nov 2000 11:18:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system Massimiliano Caovilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:     Any suggestions?

There was something about the need to change the partitionning information.
I don't remember what it was exactly, but maybe you can find it with
a search engine.

Now, to exclude that possibility, delete all partitions on that disk,
then dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1k count=1 # /dev/sda is the right disk,
then REBOOT (yes) and then create your fs directly on /dev/sda, not using
any partitionning.