Linux-Misc Digest #375, Volume #27               Fri, 16 Mar 01 18:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: can a serial connection work when keyboard/monitor doesn't? (Grant Edwards)
  Print to HP4000/4050N ("Uli Lohrmann")
  IDE raid not supported with Suse 7.1 ("Jan Vandesompele")
  Re: mkinitrd -> loopbacks in use? (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: Print to HP4000/4050N (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: IDE raid not supported with Suse 7.1 (Roger Blake)
  Re: IDE raid not supported with Suse 7.1 (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Linux crash like a Windows! ("Scot Mc Pherson")
  Re: Path Extraction (NF Stevens)
  Re: Linux crash like a Windows! (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
  IRC: quite difficult to connect (malicorne)
  Re: Beowulf cluster w/ virtual Linuxes in VMWare ? (Steve)
  Re: checking email add (Steve)
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (Ed Blackman)
  Re: taper-6.9b-3 and RedHat 7.0... (John Thompson)
  Re: Beowulf cluster w/ virtual Linuxes in VMWare ? (John Thompson)
  Re: Help with /usr symlink - Urgent!!! (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Shell script... (Juergen Heinzl)
  Re: Problems with Jdk1.3 with kernel 2.4 ("Lou")
  Re: Newbie - Keyboard,  BackSpace key behaves like the Delete key in text editor.
Both write '~' when pressed in the command line. (Markku Kolkka)
  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: can a serial connection work when keyboard/monitor doesn't?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:20:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Randy R wrote:

>When you ask if I had tried to ssh in, no I haven't. But the reason I
>know the machine is down is because it doesn't respond to ICMP
>(pings.)

Have you thought about hardware watchdog timers?  When I used
to have some remote (as in thousands of miles away) headless
machines, I put watchdog timer boards in them.  That way if
they ever locked up, they reset themselves automatically.

If you've already got 300 machines set up, it's probably too
late, but next time around...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hold the MAYO & pass
                                  at               the COSMIC AWARENESS...

------------------------------

From: "Uli Lohrmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Print to HP4000/4050N
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:50:04 GMT

Please Help.

I am sure this is a newbie type question.
What is the best way to print directly to HP4000/4050N printer?  It's got
EIO-2 JetDirect.  I don't want to print through a share on another computer.

From: "Jan Vandesompele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IDE raid not supported with Suse 7.1
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:23:16 GMT

Hello,

I just bought (yes, not downloaded) my first Linux distro. Suse Linux 7.1
professional. The problem is I can't get it installed on my system. I have
an Abit BP6 mobo with the onboard hot rod IDE raid controller on it. Since
the installation program doesn't recognize my RAID configuration I can't
install anything on my PC. Does anyone know a workaround for this? I've
managed to install Mandrake 7.2 with some minor problems, but it worked.
Suse does *NOTHING*. I only bought it because the kernel2.4 was included as
a standard.
Real shame for that dual PIII motherboard....
;o(

Jan Vandesompele

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: mkinitrd -> loopbacks in use?
Date: 16 Mar 2001 19:29:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc drw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I go to mkinitrd, I get an error telling me all loopback devices are in
> use.  What is this?

I've seen this in RH7.0 upgraded to the 2.4.2-XFS kernel (from SGI).  I
*think* it means that mkinitrd is trying to load the loop modules, but
doesn't know how (b/c of a missing entry in /etc/modules.conf).  The quick
fix is to 'modprobe loop' before running mkinitrd.  The correct fix is
to put the appropriate entry in /etc/modules.conf, but I've been too lazy
to look it up yet.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Print to HP4000/4050N
Date: 16 Mar 2001 19:32:40 GMT

Uli Lohrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the best way to print directly to HP4000/4050N printer?  It's got
> EIO-2 JetDirect.  I don't want to print through a share on another computer.

Get it's IP address/hostname, and set it up as a PostScript lpd printer.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Subject: Re: IDE raid not supported with Suse 7.1
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:41:40 GMT

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:23:16 GMT, Jan Vandesompele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I just bought (yes, not downloaded) my first Linux distro. Suse Linux 7.1
>professional. The problem is I can't get it installed on my system. I have
>an Abit BP6 mobo with the onboard hot rod IDE raid controller on it. Since
>the installation program doesn't recognize my RAID configuration I can't
>install anything on my PC. Does anyone know a workaround for this? I've

I ran into the same thing trying to install Mandrake 7.2 onto a system
with a DPT RAID controller, which Mandrake install doesn't support.

I installed the system to a single spare drive, then built and installed
a kernel with the proper DPT driver, and finally copied the system over
to the RAID array.  (The procedures in the "Hard-Disk-Upgrade" Mini How-To
worked fine for this.)

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:57:16 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jan Vandesompele wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just bought (yes, not downloaded) my first Linux distro. Suse Linux 7.1
> professional. The problem is I can't get it installed on my system. I have
> an Abit BP6 mobo with the onboard hot rod IDE raid controller on it. Since
> the installation program doesn't recognize my RAID configuration I can't
> install anything on my PC. Does anyone know a workaround for this? I've
> managed to install Mandrake 7.2 with some minor problems, but it worked.
> Suse does *NOTHING*. I only bought it because the kernel2.4 was included as
> a standard.
> Real shame for that dual PIII motherboard....
> ;o(
>
> Jan Vandesompele

Did you search the SuSE hardware DB?

It says your mobo would be supported (but there are some problems):

Anmerkung: supported by Kernel > 2.2.12; maybe problematic with attached
ATAPI Zip Drive or DVD. There is a Linux
HPT366 mini-HOWTO: http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~b6506063/hpt366/

There is a SuSE mailing list, where knowledge able people from SuSE,
among others, frequently answer questions.
That could be a better place to ask, as your problem seems to be very
specific...

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: Linux crash like a Windows!
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:02:11 GMT

"David Stark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Nils O. Selåsdal" wrote:
>
> > "Jacques" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Ofte this occurs if you have some broke RAM in your box.
>
> My box crashed ALL the time under doze.. then installed Linux.. It
> crashed.. yes.. a few times.. per month.
>
> Got hold of some Ram Stress Test Program and it told me that for 4
> months I've been using faulty RAM!.. but linux still was
> functional(partialy).. somehow.. If I pushed it it crashed..
>
> What an awesome OS..
>
> (PS : this story ended hapily with me buying some new ram)
>
> David

That IS pretty cool

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27° 19' 56"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Path Extraction
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:40:56 GMT

Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>If I want to extract the program name given the fullpath of the program,
>all I have to do on my LInux machine is the following:
>
>        ~/tmp> basename /usr/bin/basename
>
>and "basename" will return "basename".  Nothing is wrong about; however, if
>I want is the path of the program, i.e. "/usr/bin", what program should I
>use to extract the path given the program name in fullpath?

dirname

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,linux.dev.kernel
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:39:44 GMT

In <7jus6.248201$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Scot Mc Pherson:

>David Stark in news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Nils O.:

[Snip...]

>> Got hold of some Ram Stress Test Program and it told me that for 4
>> months I've been using faulty RAM!.. but linux still was
>> functional(partialy).. somehow.. If I pushed it it crashed..
>>
>> What an awesome OS..
>>
>> (PS : this story ended hapily with me buying some new ram)
>>
>> David
>
>That IS pretty cool

I had a system drive go bad over several weeks last July to the point
that zombie processes waiting on disk I/O completes actually ran over
the proc table. But that little sucker (P133, 32 MB RAM) kept serving
webpages until it flat ran out of forks to carryon. I was in awe that
it could carryon at all, as well as without anybody knowing it unless
they knew what to look for in a ps listing. IIRC it took about a week
for it to finally kernel panic for lack of a fork after I started the
drive deathwatch.

The only reason I knew to look was a routine tail of log files I have
in root crontab started showing these disk errors weeks earlier. This
is IMO an excellent example of how robust Linux memory management is.

As I say insanely often here, "Don't try this on Winders, kids."   :)

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: malicorne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IRC: quite difficult to connect
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:07:30 +0100

Hi all,

  How can one use easily IRC?  I try to connect with kvirc but all attempts
results in connection class not right, not authorized, banned, etc...  I
use Mandrake 7.2.  It used to be quite simple with kvirc under Red Hat 6.1.
 What am I missing?

Alain

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Beowulf cluster w/ virtual Linuxes in VMWare ?
Date: 16 Mar 2001 21:21:44 GMT

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:43:07 GMT, Arctic Storm wrote:
>With VMWare, of course it's possible to run multiple virtual Linuxes
>simultaneously, but is it possible to create a Beawulf cluster among the
>virtual machines?
>If theoretically possible, has anyone successfully ran this virtual Beowulf?

There may be some mention of this in the Beowulf HOWTO, and if not then maybe
search for a newsgroup that deals with Beowulf systems, there are also
Beowulf mailing lists if I remember correctly, (addresses in the HOWTO).

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  9:04pm  up 42 days, 22:46,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: checking email add
Date: 16 Mar 2001 21:21:44 GMT

You don't say which tools you're using to create your utility.

In the newsgroup comp.lang.perl.misc there have been some extensive
discussions about extracting valid email addresses from data, it
may be an idea to check it out on deja.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Blackman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:54:04 -0000

On 25 Feb 2001 22:31:08 +0800, Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> > Of course the workers would have to access the system to enter data,
>> > etc, so the user interfaces can't be too complicated (GUI?).
>>
>> Your workers would know how to use a web browser, so why not make the
>> inventory system accessible through any web browser? The MySQL database
>> and PHP scripting language would be a good combination for this task.
>
>Never worked in afactory have you? How long will the mouse keep working
>after it has been grabbed by a paint/glue/oil... covered hand?

So be conservative with your HTML and make sure the page renders nicely
in lynx or another text mode browser.

Ed

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: taper-6.9b-3 and RedHat 7.0...
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:17:26 -0600

Dominic Vernius wrote:

> I've got an HP Colorado 14Gb ATAPI IDE tape drive which used
> to work fine on a P233/RH6.2  as [hdb]; no scsi-emulation,
> ide as /dev/ht0.
>
> The drive was moved to a PII 400/RH7.0 as [hdd]; with
> ide scsi emulation, scsi as /dev/scd0.
>
> ncurses has been upgraded to 5.2
>
> Making a tape works fine, but when I use the backup
> command, taper freezes and I cannot kill it.
> Process status shows 'D' dead asleep.
> The only way I can kill taper is by rebooting which also
> causes / (root partition) shown as busy and a partition check is
> always run.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem?

I was never able to get taper to work with my HP-Colorado 5GB
ATAPI tape drive.  I use afio now instead.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:23:08 -0600

Arctic Storm wrote:

> With VMWare, of course it's possible to run multiple virtual Linuxes
> simultaneously, but is it possible to create a Beawulf cluster among the
> virtual machines?
> If theoretically possible, has anyone successfully ran this virtual Beowulf?

I suppose you could, but since the virtual machines only have
virtual cpu's and in reality all share the host cpu there's not
much point unless you have a multiprocessor machine and assign
each VMware session a separate cpu.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with /usr symlink - Urgent!!!
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:27:06 -0500

Nick Condon wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> >> Why not just place IBMdb2 on /home and symlink that in /usr ?
> >>
> >> It sounds to me like a far easier task.
> >>
> >> Eric
> >
> >IBM's installation software unpacks a bunch of RPMs and they have
> >already decided where they will go. It also monkeys around with
> >/etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow as well as /etc/services,
> >/etc/inittab (although I comment that out and put in some stuff of my
> >own in /etc/rc.d/init.d instead). I also suspect that the full
> >pathnames are built into the install procedure and possibly the
> >libraries and running programs as well. It is quite difficult to
> >install DB2 at all. I think IBM violate the spirit of the file system
> >hierarchy standard, though. IMAO, they should install into /opt/IBMdb2
> >or somewhere like that. But they do not. I am not sure what would
> >happen if you created /opt/IBMdb2 and created a symlink from
> >/usr/IBMdb2 to there. I am not sure all the software is capable of
> >following such symlinks.
>
> Symlinks are implemented in the filesystem; IBM's software doesn't even
> need to know about them.
>
> (Of course, it can explicitly look for symlinks and refuse to install, but
> why would anyone do that?)
> --
> Nick

I am not too sure about that. If I have a symlink from /usr/IBMdb2 to
/opt/IBMdb2, the ls -l command does not give me a listing of the
/opt/IBMdb2 directory when I ask: ls -l /usr/IBMdb2. So at least the
ls command does not follow symlinks transparantly. If I do a stat(2)
command on it from inside a program, it will not return "S_IFDIR
0040000 directory", but "S_IFLNK 0120000 symbolic link", so unless
programs are prepared for these differences, there is no reason to
suppose they will survive a change like that.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: Shell script...
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:38:12 GMT

In article <98tele$jv4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Adrian Davis wrote:

>> My script:
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> host1='192.168.1.48'
>> host2='192.168.1.58'
>> host3='192.168.1.59'
>> host4='192.168.1.61'
>> host5='192.168.1.67'
>> n='5'
>>
>> count=1
>> while [ $count -le $n ]
>>   do
>>     echo $((host$count)) # FAILURE
>>     count=$((count+1))
>>   done
>> exit
>
>echo $host$count
[-]
Nada 8-)

>>     echo $((host$count)) # FAILURE
       eval echo \$host$count

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: "Lou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Jdk1.3 with kernel 2.4
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:46:14 -0500

As goofy as it sounds... that was it!   So why was an install of RH 7.1 +
JDK 1.3 working on an AMD K6-2 one week, but the next week the *exact same
files* installed on an Athlon wouldn't?

I saw a post on Dejagoogle where someone had gotten the JDK to work on the
latest RH after they "downgraded" their glibc from the i686 to the i386
version.   Sure enough my install CD had both the i386 and i686 versions
right next to each other... so it's looks like the install detected the
Athlon and went with the i686 version.  I did an rpm -U --force with the
i386 version and it's working fine now!

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Newbie - Keyboard,  BackSpace key behaves like the Delete key in text
editor. Both write '~' when pressed in the command line.
Date: 17 Mar 2001 00:39:14 +0200

"Newbie from Win98" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Please can you help me?  I am a newbie whose keyboard's Backspace key
> behaves like the Delete key.  Also both the Backspace and Delete key write a
> '~' when pressed in the command line.

This is a common problem with RH7. Login as root, run Xconfigurator
and restart X.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:04:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Blackman) writes:

> >> Your workers would know how to use a web browser, so why not make the
> >> inventory system accessible through any web browser? The MySQL database
> >> and PHP scripting language would be a good combination for this task.
> >
> >Never worked in afactory have you? How long will the mouse keep working
> >after it has been grabbed by a paint/glue/oil... covered hand?
>
> So be conservative with your HTML and make sure the page renders nicely
> in lynx or another text mode browser.

Actually, there's another answer; I remember some months back there
being a discussion thread on Slashdot about the "ultimate mouse."

The article described a completely sealed mouse intended specifically
for "hardware-hazardous" environments.

I don't have a link for that, and I recall it being quite expensive.
There are likely less expensive alternatives to the mouse.

Furthermore, it's pretty common for shop floor automation to be driven
by touch pad screens, which makes mice irrelevant.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://vip.hex.net/~cbbrowne/sap.html