This will tell you how much RAM and swap is available before and after the
trouble, nothing more. Since the problems only started after adding more RAM,
the cause of the problem is quite unlikely to be related to lack of memory.

Try checking the RAMS with memtest. It's very thorough and should verify if
your RAM is faulty. To verify if the fault is in the motherboard, retest with
the new RAM installed in the slots for the old RAM. This might not spot
problems that may be due to incorrect configuration or non-compatible RAM and
motherboards (these are uncommon).

On 20-Aug-98 Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>       When the system is working well type free and write down how much
> ram is used and available. If any Swap is used write that down too. Next
> time it gives trouble type free and write it all down again. This should
> show you where the problem is.
>

> On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Anthony Good wrote:
>
>> Greetings !
>>
>> I know this is probably a hardware issue, but I'm a newbie and it does
>> relate to Linux :-)
>>
>> Recently I purchased more RAM for my 133 Mhz Pentium homebuilt system
>> running RedHat 5.1 and KDE.  Now, occasionally the system will start
>> behaving strangely, I'll start getting a "segmentation fault" error when
>> trying to load apps such as Netscape or Emacs or even running commands such
>> as ls or df.  If I reboot the machine, the problem goes away.
>>
>> Are there any diagnostics that I can run in Linux to stress test the memory
>> or somehow figure out what's happening when this segmentation fault occurs ?
>> The memory has never failed during the CMOS boot-up test.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Goody
>>

> Best wishes
>
>    - Karl F. Larsen, 3310 East Street, Las Cruces,NM (505) 524-3303  -

Cort