According to Anthony Good: While burning my CPU.

> Greetings !
>
> I know this is probably a hardware issue, but I'm a newbie and it does
> relate to Linux :-)
>
> Recently I purchased more RAM for my 133 Mhz Pentium homebuilt system
> running RedHat 5.1 and KDE.  Now, occasionally the system will start
> behaving strangely, I'll start getting a "segmentation fault" error when
> trying to load apps such as Netscape or Emacs or even running commands such
> as ls or df.  If I reboot the machine, the problem goes away.
>
> Are there any diagnostics that I can run in Linux to stress test the memory
> or somehow figure out what's happening when this segmentation fault occurs ?
> The memory has never failed during the CMOS boot-up test.

Someone said check your memory, a possablity, more information from you as to
just how much memory you had and now have would help more, which kernel
version, what hardware??.

You could use "gdb" The GNU debugger to try to find out what is causing the
segfaults, gdb is not so difficult to use, it might point you the right
direction.

As to memory, i have a patch here which checks memory twice at boottime, it
was written for kernel 2.0.34 (if i remember correctly), but i have patched
it to 35 and now 36pre6 succesfullly. If you require it let me know.

--
Regards Richard.