On Friday, August 20, 1999 1:27:14 PM, David Krings wrote regarding 'usekde'
etc:

>  But why is it *bad* ?? Just interested.

The version of KDE (1.0?) that was included with my distribution of RH 5.2
had no 'usekde' anywhere I could find. It did, however, have a script (?)
called 'startkde'. This was the source of a lot of my own confusion with the
answers I got here and elsewhere about getting KDE working.

Ironically, typing 'startkde' did nothing, as far as I could tell. What I
ended up having to do was edit the file '/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients' (yes, the
file on my system did not begin with a period), replacing the entire
contents with just a single line: startkde

Then, I edited the file '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc' and changed a line from
'exec fvwm' to 'exec startkde'. I'm not sure if this actually did anything,
as there's a line earlier in this file that tells the system to go take a
look in the Xclients file.

Lastly, I edited '/etc/profile', adding the following lines to the end:

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin
export KDEDIR=/opt/kde˙

I found these lines somewhere in a how-to page at the KDE site.

Being new to all this, I'm not sure what all of the above means, but it
succeeded in getting KDE working for me.

Anyway, that might have something to do with the "bad" reference. I'm not
sure why your copy of RH 5.2/KDE has 'usekde' and mine doesn't. From what
I've read, it would have made my task a lot easier ;)

--
Rik Osborne
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion
that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract
positive thinking." --Albert Einstein