----- Original Message ----- >
> Ironically, typing 'startkde' did nothing, as far as I could tell. What I
> ended up having to do was edit the file '/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients' (yes,
the
> file on my system did not begin with a period), replacing the entire
> contents with just a single line: startkde

The reason your version didn't have a . in front of it is because it was not
your PERSONAL Xclients file, I think. If it were in your home directory it
would be .Xclients (or .xclients -- not sure which.) However, the one you
edited is your SYSTEM-WIDE  Xclients file. In your home directory, you would
also have had a .Xclients-default had there been a ".Xclients." :-)
    Just some FYI. :-)
    John