Actually, it's probably unwise to take major bits of code from big
companies.....  they would normally want to retain some title over the
code and infact it's never as good under the surface as the marketing
would suggest.

Developing our own stuff from the ground up seems preferable to me at
least... Comments welcome as usual.....

James

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Senoner Benno wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:07:57 +0000 (GMT), A James Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > said:
> >
> > > About 3 weeks ago Steven sent a message to the kernel mailing list that
> > > suggested that that although it's mostly complete it's not actually
> > > functional yet (or wasn't) so don't expect "stable" patches or anything
> > > just yet...
> >
> > Umm, I believe I sent a message that the journaling bits themselves were
> > starting to become functional, but that the filesystem bits were still
> > at a very early stage.  There are many layers involved, and the
> > journaling layer is just one component: I still need to teach the
> > filesystem how to use it fully!
> >
> > --Stephen
>
> how about asking to SGI if they can contribute to the journaling FS,
> since they want to give some parts of IRIX (which has a journal FS)
> to the open source community ?
>
> So you do not need do re-invent the wheel a second time ....
>
> I think REDHAT should talk seriously about this issue with
> the bg firms that has advanced technology, to speedup development
> and to improve stability too.
>
> any opinions ?
>
> best regards,
> Benno.

James ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Vortex Internet
My operating system unders~1 long filena~1, and yours?