Hi,

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 01:42:07 +0100 (MET), Senoner Benno
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> how about asking to SGI if they can contribute to the journaling FS,
> since they want to give some parts of IRIX (which has a journal FS)
> to the open source community ?

SGI has been making some very linux-friendly noises recently, so maybe
this is a possibility.  I certainly hope so.  However, right now there
is an _urgent_ need for journaling.  Just because I want to get a
reliable and sufficient but minimal journaling implementation out there
for ext2/ext3 does not necessarily mean that we cannot also be looking
at longer term alternatives at the same time.

> So you do not need do re-invent the wheel a second time ....

There are actually good reasons to want a separate journaling mechanism
anyway.  Performing atomic updates to LVM data over multiple drives is
one example.

--Stephen