On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Or Gerlitz <ogerl...@mellanox.com> wrote:
> 5. what happens if we just want to enhance an -- existing -- function -
> suppose we want to enhance ibv_post_send / ibv_poll_cq to support features
> like LSO, checksum offload, masked atomic operations, fast memory remote
> invalidate, etc so we add IBV_WR_NEW_FEATURE / IB_WC_NEW_FEATURE enum
> values, this step is simple, again if we go the way of the applicayion
> ensuring through dependencies that they are loaded against libibverbs that
> supports IB_{WR,WC}_NEW_FEATURE.

Not only for the ABI between the Linux kernel and Linux user space but
also for Linux shared libraries it is required that the ABI of a new
version is backwards compatible with previous versions. So any
functionality that can't be added in a backwards compatible way to an
existing function should be added as a new system call, sysfs file or
shared library function - whatever is appropriate.

Bart.