This is actually the error:

mount: /dev/scd0 is not a valid block device

And dmesg output regarding usb is:

usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new driver hub
usbmon: debugs is not available
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1f.2: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB (Hub #1)
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1f.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1f.2: irq 11, io base 0x0000ef40
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1f.4: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM USB (Hub #2)
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1f.4: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1f.4: irq 9, io base 0x0000ef80
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

I can see the mass sotarege module compiled:

% ls /lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/
usb-storage.ko

Then I perform:

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko

And then:

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
usb_storage            33924  0
sr_mod                 18468  0
ipv6                  260800  8

But when I perform:

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt/
mount: /dev/sr0 is not a valid block device

Or:

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/
mount: /dev/scd0 is not a valid block device

So how could I make it work without old hp* module which is no longer
available?  usb-storage seems not to be recognizing the device...

Thx,

Javier.