Rowan wrote:

The symptoms of not booting are what appears to be a dos type screen requesting host login and password. It won't boot with non-fb or 263-7 either.

Actually, it *has* booted, but X (the windowing system) has failed to start for some reason or other.

I have a similar problem with Mdk10. X windows will start, and I'll get the classic X cursor. Normally, this changes to a watch cursor, then an arrow, and KDE starts. Once or twice a week, the classic X cursor just sits there and nothing happens. Killing X (Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace), and then trying to restart it manually locks up the machine. I just reboot, and hope it works next time (bad, I know, but I've got work to do).

Cheers,
Carl.