Phill Coxon wrote:
> I also have problems with Mandrake 10.0 booting into X.
>
> It boots just fine but fails to find the custom nvidia video driver and
> X fails, returning back to the login prompt.
>
> I have to modprobe the video driver each time before I can start X.
>
> Apart from that it's working fine.
>
> On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 08:44, Carl Cerecke wrote:
> > Actually, it *has* booted, but X (the windowing system) has failed to
> > start for some reason or other.

Thats strange I didn't see this problem in the brief time (couple of weeks) I
was running 10.0OE (using cooker at the moment). I do remember a somewhat
similar problem with custom kernels in one of the RC's though. From memory it
was due to the nvidia kernel module being installed into the
wrong /lib/modules/x.x.x-xxxx/ folder. If your using the Stock kernel it
should be in /lib/modules/2.6.3-3mdk/kernel/drivers/video and called
nvidia.ko (might be a different kernel number your using). And some other
problem caused by the make install script for making a kerenl sticking the
modules in the wrong directory (solved by system linking).

Also can you please answer these questions so we can help you!

Also are you using the 2.4.xx kernel or the 2.6.x kernel?
Have you custom compiled your kernel?
Have you installed all the updates for 10.0OE?
Did you make sure you installed the updated kernel there is one?
Try as su
urpmi.update --update
urpmi --update kernel

To make sure. And check the CLUG wiki to make sure your've set up urpmi
properly.
http://clug.inode.co.nz/
Have you had a look on Mandrake expert for the problem?
Or posted the problem there?
http://www.mandrakeexpert.com/index1.php

Are there any error messages? Try /var/logs/XFree86.log and /var/logs/syslog
And if Mandrakes booting upto a black screen have you tried going doing
ctrl alt F1
To see if theres any boot errors? Also try hitting ESC during the boot to show
whats hapeening and look for "fails" or "passed".

We can't help with out more info! Look at these things and let us know what
you find!

Chad