On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:45:53 +1300
Hugo Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I set up a PC for my parents to do their email on, with Mandrake 10 and
> Firefox/Thunderbird, but for some reason, their is no Shutdown item on
> the menu. I can't remember how to allow the normal user to run
> /sbin/shutdown as root (something in /etc/sudoers perhaps)? Can someone
> please shed some light on the situation.

Why would id be needed? Afterall you say you have them using Firefox
and Thunderbird.

Why not use the logout option from the the main menu and at the next gui
panel select "Turn off Compter Now" and click "OK"

Seems a great simpler from my point of view.

Mucking about with heaps of scripts  to get around what I think is a
'standard' safety feature is not going to make any difference to your
parents in the long term anyway,

And! If you've converted them from Windows - they'll be used to the vey
same sequence anyway!

You young fellers have gotta start remembering that your parents' "new
idea" processing skills are no way near as capabable as yours any more
that your own can match the those capabilities if a say 5 year-old!

KISS

John