On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:20:14 +1300, Hugo Vincent wrote:
> Mandrake installation had them by default. I suspect that they aren't
> there because I installed it with the High Security Level option

Well there's your problem. Lighten up on the security (take it down
one notch at a time until the shutdown option re-appears).

> (figuring that they are less likely to break anything then). I thought

They are more likely to break something by turning the computer off
without a proper shutdown. Without the root password there's very
little they can muck up other than their own user profiles, and the
highest security level won't even prevent that.

> I could add a item on the KDE "start" menu that called shutdown -h now,
> but that didn't work ("you must be root to do this"). I will try the
> chmod u+s method suggested by Robert Himmelmann tonight.

Or you could try that instead