Douglas J Hunley wrote:

> Seems a lot of potential talk about crafting our own distro.
> You folks serious? Who's got the time for this? I can manage the resources on
> the mothership for it, but unless people actually pledge some time to get it
> off the ground, I'm not gonna bother.
> So?
<snip>

IIRC, that was one of the topics within the first day or two this list
was started. (BTW, archives for July 2001 have posts about Untied (sic)
Linux.) But nonetheless, I'd certainly be willing to have a go at it. I
have the hardware, and I can work on it a minimum of 8 hrs. a week,
probably more. What I don't have time for though, is doing the research
required. Someone would need to do the searching for info and most
likely write up the documentation (eventually becoming a new Step).
There would also be a need for people to test the product on platforms
of all different types. If enough people (in a cast of votes) say yes,
then I'd say lets start a new list for direct communication between the
"developers", create a central repository for updates, files, and
documentation, and develop a reasonable means to reach a common ground
or compromise to any issues such as "which version of gcc to use", etc.
I definitely agree it shouldn't be a halfway effort, and we have some
points to consider and/or include such as Skippy's current efforts. I
*do* think it's worthy of more discussion and analysis and would like to
hear more opinions.
--
Andrew Mathews