from Andrew Mathews:

" points to consider and/or include such as Skippy's current efforts. I
" *do* think it's worthy of more discussion and analysis and would like to
" hear more opinions.

I'm genuinely curious how what has been discussed here so far would
differ significantly from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org and the
alfs and blfs offshoots.

Anyway, the feature I need most is a genuine idiot proof (it'd have to be
good because I'd be using it myself:) way of knowing in detail what
mods occur when I install/change something and reverting with
certainty to the previous state.  For the latter, I've done partition
cloning/reversion also for some considerable time.  It's a good way
of climbing out of the pit but often doesn't help me much figuring
out how I got that far under a pile of something that deep that smells
_that_ bad.  And it only works if I revert the same partition that I
changed, fancy that.

http://www.quen.net

"Fix reason firmly in her seat and call to her tribunal every fact,
every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God;
because, if there is one, he must more approve of the homage of
reason, than that of blindfolded fear."  --Thomas Jefferson