R. Quenett wrote:
<snip>
> I'm genuinely curious how what has been discussed here so far would
> differ significantly from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org and the
> alfs and blfs offshoots.

I think the immediately apparent difference would be the end product
being a "complete" distribution vs. a "here's the tools, build it
yourself" package. That is, if my take on the hamburger/house comparison
listed on their page is an accurate description, *and* if that's the
agreed upon, completed build we're contemplating.

> Anyway, the feature I need most is a genuine idiot proof (it'd have to be
> good because I'd be using it myself:) way of knowing in detail what
> mods occur when I install/change something and reverting with
> certainty to the previous state.  For the latter, I've done partition
> cloning/reversion also for some considerable time.  It's a good way
> of climbing out of the pit but often doesn't help me much figuring
> out how I got that far under a pile of something that deep that smells
> _that_ bad.  And it only works if I revert the same partition that I
> changed, fancy that.

Yes, a variety of choice is always good, none of us like having options
hidden from us in an attempt to "idiot-proof" the OS. Maybe a list of
diagnostics such as:
"Restore my system" and
"Diagnose what's broken"
and an installation list of:
"New user install",
"Let me try it", and
"I'm an expert"

Also, would it be a good idea to have a small, hidden partition
containing enough config files to be able to restore from the install cd
back to a last known good state?
--
Andrew Mathews