Ian Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:31:35 -0700

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 20:41, Keith Antoine wrote:
<snip>

I can transfer files back

and forth just as I can from a linux booted system.

<snip>

NO way! Windows files are not executable on Linux, so it is immune to win viruii, this is one of the reasons I use linux.

My concern is that the code will execute on Windows and use this Ext2FS
to access Linux and do something nasty there.

If my dual-boot machine is running Windows (rare, but it happens) and
something infected Windows that can read/write the Linux partitions...
couldn't that thing have its way with my Linux stuff while the penquin
is 'asleep'?

The relevent issue is what OS is running when you do your mail. If you run wine and open your mail with exchange, your concerns are valid. If the OS code to activate the virus isn't available on your system, the virus never gets activated. The virus will sit, inert, in your mail until it is deleted.

If you open the message while in windoze, then you are infected. The virus NEEDS the OS to respond before it can do it's thing. If the OS doesn't respond, and linux will not respond to a windoze targetted attack unles wine responds, the virus never starts.

-- Alma