On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:59:11 -0500 dep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> quoth Leon A. Goldstein:
>
> | Some of us remember what happened to DR DOS and Word Perfect after
> | Novell bought them.  It is not auspicious IMHO.
>
> let's hope that there exists an ability to learn. as i understand it,
> ibm has just invested $50 million in novell, which certainly tells us
> something.
> --

DRDOS just plain got MSDOS'd and WIN'd.  At the time Novel was flailing around
with WordPerfect, no one other than we afficionados really had a vision of
linux as a desktop platform with any hopes of competing with MS, so Novel
weren't willing to make the investment to do the conversion.  According to other
articles, IBM has much more riding on the deal than its 2% share would indicate.

There are only two possibilities - Novel/SUSE will become a dominent player in
the linux marketplace, or they'll go under.  I'm betting on the former.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the