On Monday 30 July 2001 02:21, Collins Richey babbled:

> Granted that system administrators can do as they please, but it makes no
> sense whatsoever to take action without warning and to provide no means
> for a remedy, ie sysadmin address not responding to quieries about the
> problem.   "All power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."
> There would have been no bitchiness or concern on my part, had I been able
> to reach the sysadmin for an explanation.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] always works. My bad for not advertising it. I don't
want important shit going to that address, cause their admins are worse than
me.

> BTW, this is totally out of character for Doug who in the past has always
> provided timely warnings of any actions that would affect the service.

exactly. only, I didn't change anything. that's why I was being bitchy. it
wasn't towards you.. just the situation. sorry about that.

> Yes, you with your many years experience may fully understand mail
> headers, but I for one (and I'm sure there must be others) do not.  The
> proper way to do this would be to send a reply (a courtesy) to the sender
> telling him what action will be taken and why.  As you allude below, it
> only takes a few lines of code on the server to do this; such action may
> even be automatically built in to the mail server, for all I know.

you should have gotten a 550 error mail back saying or.orbl.org had blocked
you. but anyway, it's moot now

> The question being - is a given ISP really an open mail relay or are they
> being black listed for no good reason?

I believe that or.orbl.org does it's damdest to stay a-political. maybe not,
but that's my impression..
--
Douglas J. Hunley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) - Linux User #174778
Admin: http://hunley.homeip.net/        Admin: http://linux.nf/

~~ Now offering Linux admin services for the home user ~~

The other night I was lying in bed, looking up at the stars, and I wondered,
"Where the hell is my roof?"