On Sunday 16 September 2001 08:04 am, you wrote:
> Richard Thompson wrote:
> > First, through job experience (only currently employed as a police
> > officer of 20 years experience) and through life experience I have a much
> > better working knowledge of these issues that you credit me with.  I
> > assure you, I have done my research - for longer than some of the members
> > of this list have been alive.
> >
> > Second - Bin ladin is a businessman.  He has actual, physical business
> > interests and stock investments which produce large amounts of money.  He
> > is the first businessman terrorist.  I made no comment on where he got
> > his startup funds - that was irrelevent, and still is.
>
> Bin Ladin is in his 40's. He has not actively participated in *any* of
> his
> "business interests" in 15 years.
>
> > Thirdly - it doesn't matter where he is persona non-grata.  He is not
> > subject to control by the threat of his sponsor government cutting off
> > his funds.  He can afford to hide anywhere he needs to.  Afghanistan
> > works for now, other places might work, if less well, but it isn't as
> > simple a matter as a particular state pulling his strings.
>
> He cannot purchase any geographic location of his choosing. I'd like to
> see him attempt
> to set up shop anywhere in North or South America, Western Europe or for
> that matter
> OZ. Only those nations who agree with and support his politics are
> involved with him.
>
> > This is a very different sort of war, with a very different sort of
> > enemy, in a very  different world than even our President's father
> > commanded.
>
> Technically, it is know as asymetric warfare. The last asymetric war the
> US was
> involved in was the war against the Barbary Pirates during Thomas
> Jefferson's
> presidency. Even then, Jefferson and others realized they could not
> directly
> defeat an asymetric enemy... Therefore, he defeated the enemy indirectly
> by removing
> all support of any type or kind (Which is why he sent the Navy and the
> Marines
> to Tripoli, Libya all those years ago).

 I stick by my statement that the current Afgan government as well as all
other > governments who participate in state sponsored terrorism must be
removed from the face of the earth. If they are not, the cost of having them
around  will  consistantly rise.

 Peck
 Peck

  I do not disagree with you, infact you have stopped short on the problem.
Once the terrorist are found andexecuted, we have a new task. That is to
prevent the rise of terrorism from rearing its ugly head. People, governments
and the world as a whole need to make sure all people can live in peace with
food clothing and roof on their head, the world over. Also everyone has the
right to sit at the table of how they are governed. Yes this will be
extremely hard to accomplish. We need to try & get there. We need everyone's
understanding cooperation to do this. Facist Dictatore and others who rule
with an Iron hand will reject this. We need to show them the error of their
ways, one way or another. We can not create a Nervinna, even if we wanted to,
but people need to strive for it. As for those nations who sponsor, aid hide,
feed, & shelter terrorist, they are just as guilty to the last person in
their country. While I am not totally wanting a genicide of all people in a
certain state, it will be close to it. There must be a full understanding
that this behaviour will not, can be allowed to exsist anywhere.
--
Rick Sivernell
Dallas, Texas  75287

        .~.