> I don't want to get into the argumentative portions of this thread but
> I saw something interesting on the news last night. Germany, I believe,
> is investigating whether bin Laden bought shares of the company
> insuring the WTC, then sold them short or whatever it 's called where
> you profit if the share price goes down.
> Randy Donohoe

>The idea is that you sell shares in the market that you don't own at their pre
>disaster high
price. After the disaster the price of shares plummets. Then you buy shares at the new
low
price and deliver them to the people or brokerage houses who bought them at the old
high price.
The difference between what you paid (at depressed prices) and what you sold it short
at (pre
disaster high) is your profit. To keep alarm bells from going off and being detected
you would
use dozens of accounts to spread the load around.

To prevent this the market has a rule that the seller of stocks has to deliver them
within 24
hrs. of sale. This means that the terrorists would have to buy the stocks to cover
their sale
on almost the same day that the WTC was attacked. Those accounts suddenly buying stock
in
losing companies when everybody else was selling would have stuck out like signal
lights at
night and could have been tracked back to the terrorists. Unfortunately, the market
closed
preventing that sudden buying surge and the FBI obligingly told the press that they
knew what
was going on. So there 'wouldn't be a buying surge and the terrorists' accounts will
go into
default and be closed by the brokerage houses who handle them. Making it impossible to
backtrack previous stock manipulation by the terrorists. To the terrorists this means
they'll
have to establish new accounts. An easy job using the computer and internet.

This may be a new world war but the government should adopt a slogan from the last
one: "Loose
Lips Sink Ships."