Richard Thompson wrote:

> First, through job experience (only currently employed as a police officer of
> 20 years experience) and through life experience I have a much better working
> knowledge of these issues that you credit me with.  I assure you, I have done
> my research - for longer than some of the members of this list have been alive.

> Second - Bin ladin is a businessman.  He has actual, physical business
> interests and stock investments which produce large amounts of money.  He is
> the first businessman terrorist.  I made no comment on where he got his
> startup funds - that was irrelevent, and still is.

Bin Ladin is in his 40's. He has not actively participated in *any* of
his
"business interests" in 15 years.

> Thirdly - it doesn't matter where he is persona non-grata.  He is not subject
> to control by the threat of his sponsor government cutting off his funds.  He
> can afford to hide anywhere he needs to.  Afghanistan works for now, other
> places might work, if less well, but it isn't as simple a matter as a particular
> state pulling his strings.

He cannot purchase any geographic location of his choosing. I'd like to
see him attempt
to set up shop anywhere in North or South America, Western Europe or for
that matter
OZ. Only those nations who agree with and support his politics are
involved with him.

> This is a very different sort of war, with a very different sort of enemy, in a
> very  different world than even our President's father commanded.

Technically, it is know as asymetric warfare. The last asymetric war the
US was
involved in was the war against the Barbary Pirates during Thomas
Jefferson's
presidency. Even then, Jefferson and others realized they could not
directly
defeat an asymetric enemy... Therefore, he defeated the enemy indirectly
by removing
all support of any type or kind (Which is why he sent the Navy and the
Marines
to Tripoli, Libya all those years ago).

I stick by my statement that the current Afgan government as well as all
other
governments who participate in state sponsored terrorism must be removed
from
the face of the earth. If they are not, the cost of having them around
will
consistantly rise.

Peck