Hi Jan,

Today at 13:02, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

>> key.type = "THREE_LEVEL";
>>
>> key <AD11> {[], [ dead_tilde, dead_diaeresis, dead_macron ]};
>> key <AD12> {[], [ dead_iota,  VoidSymbol,     dead_breve  ]};
>>
>> key <AC10> {[], [ dead_acute,   dead_horn       ]};
>> key <AC11> {[], [ dead_grave,   dead_ogonek     ]};
>>
>> };
>>
>> I assume the list of keysyms captures the shifted state of the
>> key i.e. <dead_acute> is on the semi-colon key and <dead_horn>
>> is on the same key, shifted, the colon key.
>
> Yes, and in the case of three-level keys, the third level is
> accessed by the AltGr key (right-alt, most probably). So that's
> how you get the dead macron etc.

Note that the layout listed above contains two *groups* as well,
i.e. it's not an xkeyboard-config layout (or, do we still have some of
these left?)

> Some keys might be four-level, in which case the fourth level is
> accessed by means of Shift-AltGr.

Not with key.type = "THREE_LEVEL". :)

> Because these names are not known to "the system". However, all
> UTF-8 characters are known to "the system" by default, having
> names beginning with U. So the designer of this layout could, and
> in my opinion should, have called them U0313 (for the dead psili)
> and U0314 (for the dead dasia).

I think U-ames are available only for those Unicode characters not
having any other representation in keysymdef.h.

Cheers,
Danilo