Bret Fausett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I question the assumption that people who really want to participate
>in an online dialogue are turned off (and away) by the tone of the
>debate.

I think it is both the tone of the debate and the high volume that
turns people off who might otherwise wish to participate.  For
example, I was talking with a friend of mine who's been in Internet
R&D for many years about some of what goes on here.  My friend is also
on the ietf list, and noted that both the tone and volume is a
disincentive to participation.

--gregbo