Rather, Postel chose, very wisely, to choose wisely when it was wise to do
so, if you take my point.  In some cases the government was deferred to; in
others, where they were being unfair, IANA solved the problem by mediating
it; in some cases where the mediation didn't work, the domain simply ceased
to function while the parties tried to work something out.  There was never
a consistent policy in practice.

Antony